Win32 OS functions

david.briant
Win32 OS functions

Hi

I want to play around with some cross-thread and cross-process stuff in Windows XP. E.g. memory mapped files, windows message sends, named pipes and so on and was wondering how to access these methods in Squeak. Any pointers would be welcome.

Many thanks

David

This communication is issued by UBS AG and/or affiliates to
institutional investors; it is not for private persons. This is a
product of a sales or trading desk and not the Research Dept.
Opinions expressed may differ from those of other divisions of UBS,
including Research.  UBS may trade as principal in instruments
identified herein and may accumulate/have accumulated a long or short
position in instruments or derivatives thereof.  UBS has policies
designed to negate conflicts of interest.  This e-mail is not an
official confirmation of terms and unless stated, is not a
recommendation, offer or solicitation to buy or sell.  Any prices or
quotations contained herein are indicative only.  Communications
may be monitored.

 © 2006 UBS.  All rights reserved.
Intended for recipient only and not for further distribution without
the consent of UBS.

Re: Win32 OS functions

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:38:01AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to play around with some cross-thread and cross-process stuff in
> Windows XP. E.g. memory mapped files, windows message sends, named pipes
> and so on and was wondering how to access these methods in Squeak. Any
> pointers would be welcome.

The easiest way to do things like this is with the Foreign Function
Interface (FFI). Usually you can find this in the Squeak image in
the "FFI-*" categories (but for some versions you may need to load it
from SqueakMap). Look at category 'FFI-Examples-Win32' for examples of
what can be done.

This is definitely getting out of "newbie" territory, but if you are
comfortable building your own VM and plugins, you can also load the
OSProcessPlugin from SqueakMap. This provides some Win32 thread and
handle primitives that might be useful to you, or that you can modify
to meet your needs.

Have fun,

Dave

RE: Win32 OS functions

david.briant
Thanks. Are there examples of how to do a call-back into Smalltalk or
read from a Windows message queue?

It's been a while since I compiled a VM (1995 was the last time in VW2)
and I've not used Smalltalk since '97 so not totally sure what I snow
possible. I'd like to get two squeak images to talk together using
memory mapped files and asynchronous windows message sends or possibly
named pipes.

Thanks for your help

David

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:38:01AM -0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to play around with some cross-thread and cross-process stuff
in
> Windows XP. E.g. memory mapped files, windows message sends, named
pipes
> and so on and was wondering how to access these methods in Squeak. Any
> pointers would be welcome.

The easiest way to do things like this is with the Foreign Function
Interface (FFI). Usually you can find this in the Squeak image in
the "FFI-*" categories (but for some versions you may need to load it
from SqueakMap). Look at category 'FFI-Examples-Win32' for examples of
what can be done.

This is definitely getting out of "newbie" territory, but if you are
comfortable building your own VM and plugins, you can also load the
OSProcessPlugin from SqueakMap. This provides some Win32 thread and
handle primitives that might be useful to you, or that you can modify
to meet your needs.

Have fun,

Dave

This communication is issued by UBS AG and/or affiliates to
institutional investors; it is not for private persons. This is a
product of a sales or trading desk and not the Research Dept.
Opinions expressed may differ from those of other divisions of UBS,
including Research.  UBS may trade as principal in instruments
identified herein and may accumulate/have accumulated a long or short
position in instruments or derivatives thereof.  UBS has policies
designed to negate conflicts of interest.  This e-mail is not an
official confirmation of terms and unless stated, is not a
recommendation, offer or solicitation to buy or sell.  Any prices or
quotations contained herein are indicative only.  Communications
may be monitored.

 © 2006 UBS.  All rights reserved.
Intended for recipient only and not for further distribution without
the consent of UBS.

Re: Win32 OS functions

David T. Lewis
There has been some recent discussion on this topic on the squeak-dev
mailing list. You may want to join that list for the more technical
questions.

In a nutshell, Squeak does not currently support callbacks from primitives,
but other mechanisms are available. For example, you can signal a Squeak
Semaphore from a primitive to notify a waiting Process that something
has happened.

Dave