Win98SE + Squeak?

Leandro Juarez
Hi there. I'm Leandro from Rosario, ARG, and I'm trying to run the latest version of Squeak from a machine that is running on WIN98SE. But it doesn't work at all. Any idea why?
It's a celeron 900mhz with 284 Mb RAM.

I tried to run on an IBM Thinkpad 600E, and it doesn't work also.

I would appreciate if anyone tells me which version of squeak should I try with.

Thanks in advance.

--
Leandro Juarez

Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Benjamin L. Russell
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:25:50 -0300, Leandro Juarez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Hi there. I'm Leandro from Rosario, ARG, and I'm trying to run the latest
>version of Squeak from a machine that is running on WIN98SE. But it doesn't
>work at all. Any idea why? It's a celeron 900mhz with 284 Mb RAM.
>
>I tried to run on an IBM Thinkpad 600E, and it doesn't work also.
>
>I would appreciate if anyone tells me which version of squeak should I try
>with.

What are the exact symptoms that you are experiencing?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/

Re: Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Leandro Juarez
When i try to run Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image with the lastest squeak available to download from squeak.org I get a Squeak Warning window claiming: Image File Read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read) with three buttons:

Abort
Retry
Omitir (sorry don't remember the English translation  for that word)

Many thanks.

Leandro

wrote:

>Hi there. I'm Leandro from Rosario, ARG, and I'm trying to run the latest
>version of Squeak from a machine that is running on WIN98SE. But it doesn't
>work at all. Any idea why? It's a celeron 900mhz with 284 Mb RAM.
>
>I tried to run on an IBM Thinkpad 600E, and it doesn't work also.
>
>I would appreciate if anyone tells me which version of squeak should I try
>with.

What are the exact symptoms that you are experiencing?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
-- Matsuo Basho^

Leandro Juarez

Re: Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Edwin Castro-3
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Leandro Juarez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abort
Retry
Omitir (sorry don't remember the English translation  for that word)

For the curious: Omitir => Ignore.

--
Edwin G. Castro

Ogden Nash  - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up, it's always a cat."

Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Andreas.Raab
Leandro -

The Win95 family of products (Win95, Win98, WinME) are no longer
supported by the latest Win32 Squeak VMs. This became necessary when we
switched to full Unicode compatibility in the VM (support for Unicode is
sparse to non-existent on these Windows variants). If you absolutely
must use Win98, try the 3.7.x family of VMs - they were an
extraordinarily stable branch that did support Win98 and friends.

However, unless you also use 3.7/3.8 based images there will be some
compatibility issues (the precise extent of which I am not certain about
since I've never tried it). Good luck.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Leandro Juarez wrote:

> When i try to run Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image with the lastest squeak
> available to download from squeak.org <http://squeak.org> I get a Squeak
> Warning window claiming: Image File Read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
> with three buttons:
>
> Abort
> Retry
> Omitir (sorry don't remember the English translation  for that word)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Leandro
>

> On 8/3/09, *Benjamin L. Russell* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:25:50 -0300, Leandro Juarez
>     wrote:
>
>      >Hi there. I'm Leandro from Rosario, ARG, and I'm trying to run the
>     latest
>      >version of Squeak from a machine that is running on WIN98SE. But
>     it doesn't
>      >work at all. Any idea why? It's a celeron 900mhz with 284 Mb RAM.
>      >
>      >I tried to run on an IBM Thinkpad 600E, and it doesn't work also.
>      >
>      >I would appreciate if anyone tells me which version of squeak
>     should I try
>      >with.
>
>     What are the exact symptoms that you are experiencing?
>
>     -- Benjamin L. Russell
>     --
>     Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
>     http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
>     Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
>     "Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
>     -- Matsuo Basho^

> Leandro Juarez

Re: Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 8/6/09 3:42 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leandro -
>
> The Win95 family of products (Win95, Win98, WinME) are no longer
> supported by the latest Win32 Squeak VMs. This became necessary when we
> switched to full Unicode compatibility in the VM (support for Unicode is
> sparse to non-existent on these Windows variants). If you absolutely
> must use Win98, try the 3.7.x family of VMs - they were an
> extraordinarily stable branch that did support Win98 and friends.
>
> However, unless you also use 3.7/3.8 based images there will be some
> compatibility issues (the precise extent of which I am not certain about
> since I've never tried it). Good luck.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
>
> Leandro Juarez wrote:
>> When i try to run Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image with the lastest squeak
>> available to download from squeak.org <http://squeak.org> I get a Squeak
>> Warning window claiming: Image File Read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
>> with three buttons:
>>
>> Abort
>> Retry
>> Omitir (sorry don't remember the English translation  for that word)
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Leandro
>>

>> On 8/3/09, *Benjamin L. Russell* <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:25:50 -0300, Leandro Juarez
>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there. I'm Leandro from Rosario, ARG, and I'm trying to run the
>>     latest
>>> version of Squeak from a machine that is running on WIN98SE. But
>>     it doesn't
>>> work at all. Any idea why? It's a celeron 900mhz with 284 Mb RAM.
>>>
>>> I tried to run on an IBM Thinkpad 600E, and it doesn't work also.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate if anyone tells me which version of squeak
>>     should I try
>>> with.
>>
>>     What are the exact symptoms that you are experiencing?
>>
>>     -- Benjamin L. Russell
>>     --
>>     Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
>>     http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
>>     Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
>>     "Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
>>     -- Matsuo Basho^

Very happy Andreas care about beginners with very old hardware, they are
millions in all world.

I have a question for he.

That means Cuis , Old SqueakLight and Pavel kernel for 3.7 could run with
3.7.x family of VMs on Windows 98?

Please a link for try it ....

Edgar

Edgar

Re: Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

John McKeon
Perhaps this might help
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
The notes say it adds unicode support

John

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 8/6/09 3:42 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leandro -
>
> The Win95 family of products (Win95, Win98, WinME) are no longer
> supported by the latest Win32 Squeak VMs. This became necessary when we
> switched to full Unicode compatibility in the VM (support for Unicode is
> sparse to non-existent on these Windows variants). If you absolutely
> must use Win98, try the 3.7.x family of VMs - they were an
> extraordinarily stable branch that did support Win98 and friends.
>
> However, unless you also use 3.7/3.8 based images there will be some
> compatibility issues (the precise extent of which I am not certain about
> since I've never tried it). Good luck.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
>
> Leandro Juarez wrote:
>> When i try to run Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image with the lastest squeak
>> available to download from squeak.org <http://squeak.org> I get a Squeak
>> Warning window claiming: Image File Read problem (0 out of 4 bytes read)
>> with three buttons:
>>
>> Abort
>> Retry
>> Omitir (sorry don't remember the English translation  for that word)
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Leandro
>>

>> On 8/3/09, *Benjamin L. Russell* <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:25:50 -0300, Leandro Juarez
>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there. I'm Leandro from Rosario, ARG, and I'm trying to run the
>>     latest
>>> version of Squeak from a machine that is running on WIN98SE. But
>>     it doesn't
>>> work at all. Any idea why? It's a celeron 900mhz with 284 Mb RAM.
>>>
>>> I tried to run on an IBM Thinkpad 600E, and it doesn't work also.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate if anyone tells me which version of squeak
>>     should I try
>>> with.
>>
>>     What are the exact symptoms that you are experiencing?
>>
>>     -- Benjamin L. Russell
>>     --
>>     Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
>>     http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
>>     Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
>>     "Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
>>     -- Matsuo Basho^

Very happy Andreas care about beginners with very old hardware, they are
millions in all world.

I have a question for he.

That means Cuis , Old SqueakLight and Pavel kernel for 3.7 could run with
3.7.x family of VMs on Windows 98?

Please a link for try it ....

Edgar

Edgar

http://jmck.seasidehosting.st

Re: Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Re: [Newbies] Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

On 8/6/09 8:34 AM, "John McKeon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
The notes say it adds unicode support

John

Good pointer.
I think I could get one old Toshiba Satellite with 64Mb for try this.

Thanks

Re: Win98SE + Squeak?

Steinar Bang

> The Win95 family of products (Win95, Win98, WinME) are no longer
> supported by the latest Win32 Squeak VMs. This became necessary when
> we switched to full Unicode compatibility in the VM (support for
> Unicode is sparse to non-existent on these Windows variants).

I'd say sparse and unpredictable rather than non-existant.  But of the
OSes mentioned I'd never tried any other than Win98SE.  And we got so
many bug reports on that that I was happy when we could drop support for
it.