Wondering out loud

David Faught
Gee, I wonder if there might be some really spiffy application of OMeta for
parsing lots of different 3D file formats?

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~awarth/papers/dls07.pdf
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~awarth/ometa/

Re: Wondering out loud

David Faught
I also wonder how hard it might be to implement Takeo Igarashi's
sketch plumping method (as modified by Andreas' grad student whose
name escapes me, and  which is used in Croquet's TPainter and
CCPainter) on the GPU in a few passes ...

On 10/29/07, David Faught <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gee, I wonder if there might be some really spiffy application of OMeta for
> parsing lots of different 3D file formats?
>
> http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~awarth/papers/dls07.pdf
> http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~awarth/ometa/

Re: Wondering out loud

Joshua Gargus-2
I haven't heard of anyone porting the exact algorithm to the GPU, but
Chris Dyken (http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~erikd/index.html) and Gernot
Ziegler (http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~gziegler/) recently did some very
cool work on a GPU implementation of marching cubes that doesn't
require geometry shaders.  It therefore runs on older hardware
(unlike eg: NVIDIA's implementation described in GPU Gems 3 which
requires a GeForce 8), and it outperforms the geometry shader
implementation too.

I didn't investigate deeply enough to say it with confidence, but it
seems likely that the approach above could be used to accelerate
tessellation of the the implicit surfaces defined by ShapeShop
(http://www.shapeshop3d.com/).  The result would be a Teddy-like UI,
but fast fast fast.

A more direct port of Igarashi's algorithm might be possible.  We've
known how to compute Voronoi regions on the GPU since before shaders
were around, but I don't know how easy it would be to transform this
into the Delaunay triangulation (the dual of the Voronoi diagram) on
the GPU.  Very quick profiling shows that about a third of the
runtime is doing a flood-fill, so we'd have to figure out how to do
that on the GPU too if we want more than a 3x speedup.

Josh