Work to be done

Hernan Wilkinson
Hi,
    is there a page with all the 'pending' things to do with Squeak? or
ideas to implement, etc?.
    The reason I'm making this question is because in our course
(Advance Object Oriented Design, at the University of Buenos Aires) we
give students assigments to do in a three to four months time frame and
we ran out of ideas....

    Thanks,
    Hernan.

--
______________________________
Lic. Hernán A. Wilkinson

This message is confidential. It may also contain information that is
privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have
received it by mistake please let us know by e-mail immediately and
delete it from your system; you should also not copy the message nor
disclose its contents to anyone. Thanks.

Re: Work to be done

stéphane ducasse-2

> Hi,
>    is there a page with all the 'pending' things to do with Squeak?
> or ideas to implement, etc?.
>    The reason I'm making this question is because in our course
> (Advance Object Oriented Design, at the University of Buenos Aires)
> we give students assigments to do in a three to four months time
> frame and we ran out of ideas....

Easy just ask :)

        - take gutenberg the pretty printer and improve it
        - try to make a pretty printer while you type
        - how to get an AST so that we can reproduce the source completely
(with space)
        - take pier and improve it
                - for example check and improve the XML serialization
        - build generic component for seaside.
        - build Beach = Smalltalk on Rails based on seaside and magritte
        - propose a new package to fileout Squeak class
        - migrate the Squeak tool to use ToolBuilder
        - check and write tests for the current squeak base classes
        - Build some widgets for math exercises (ask hilaire)
        - use sophie (should be out soon) to build cool apps
        - add new refactorings to the refactoring browser (move to class,
move to instance)
        - check all the refactorings of RB in Squeak and improve them
        - make possible that people define their own refactoring
        - get a much better SmallLint interface and the possibility to add
new lint rules
        - improve regexp (at least write tests for it)
        - improve package support
                - either by defining a real package class (and not a facade on the
categories)
                - support moving between packages for the browsers.
        - define a nice package for accessing the file system
                (I want to be able to write '/' asDir filesAndFolderRecursivelyDo:
[:each | Transcript show: each name , ' ', each size]
                generalize that to ftp and other URI based abstractions
        - introduce better navigation in OmniBrowser (back and forth,
history....) Romain already did that.
        - improve sound editing tools
        - develop a bittorrent client
        - define missing network protocol for Squeak.
        - Flash 4 reader/writer
        - Some P2P protocols
        - Curves drawing libraries.
        - Port Mondrian to Squeak

I'm sure that I can find some more.

Re: Work to be done

stéphane ducasse-2
Forgot:
        - a simple workflow engine (with tests of course)
        - decompiler for the new compiler
        - test server
        - build server

On 23 août 06, at 21:30, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi,
>    is there a page with all the 'pending' things to do with Squeak?
> or ideas to implement, etc?.
>    The reason I'm making this question is because in our course
> (Advance Object Oriented Design, at the University of Buenos Aires)
> we give students assigments to do in a three to four months time
> frame and we ran out of ideas....
>
>    Thanks,
>    Hernan.
>
> --
> ______________________________
> Lic. Hernán A. Wilkinson
> Gerente de Desarrollo y Tecnología
> Mercap S.R.L.
> Tacuari 202 - 7mo Piso - Tel: 54-11-4878-1118
> Buenos Aires - Argentina
> http://www.mercapsoftware.com
> Este mensaje es confidencial. Puede contener informacion amparada
> por el secreto profesional. Si usted ha recibido este e-mail por
> error, por favor comuniquenoslo inmediatamente via e-mail y tenga
> la amabilidad de eliminarlo de su sistema; no debera copiar el
> mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.
> This message is confidential. It may also contain information that
> is privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you
> have received it by mistake please let us know by e-mail
> immediately and delete it from your system; you should also not
> copy the message nor disclose its contents to anyone. Thanks.

Re: Work to be done

Philippe Marschall
2006/8/23, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> > Hi,
> >    is there a page with all the 'pending' things to do with Squeak?
> > or ideas to implement, etc?.
> >    The reason I'm making this question is because in our course
> > (Advance Object Oriented Design, at the University of Buenos Aires)
> > we give students assigments to do in a three to four months time
> > frame and we ran out of ideas....
>
> Easy just ask :)
>
>         - take gutenberg the pretty printer and improve it
>         - try to make a pretty printer while you type
>         - how to get an AST so that we can reproduce the source completely
> (with space)
>         - take pier and improve it
>                 - for example check and improve the XML serialization

You can take ideas from here:
http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/advanceddesignlabs/
(most of the stuff was done for SmallWiki2 and currently does not work on Pier)

>         - check all the refactorings of RB in Squeak and improve them

Make sure they work with traits (eg. ClassTraits are currently broken).
Refactorings for traits would definitely be cool.

> new lint rules

Here again, make sure they work with traits (again pay attention to
classtraits).
Lint rules for traits would definitely be cool.

Philippe