Would anyone object if I added optional building of the processor plugins to the Pharo builds?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Would anyone object if I added optional building of the processor plugins to the Pharo builds?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Esteban, Hi All,

the Mac (and I *think* linux & Windows) builds are set up to not build a plugin if any of the files specified by the PREREQUISITES variable in the plugin Makefile do not exist.  For example, in platforms/iOS/plugins/BochsX64Plugin/Makefile there are the lines

BOX:=../bochsx64
PREREQUISITES:=$(BOX)/cpu/libcpu.a $(BOX)/disasm/libdisasm.a $(BOX)/fpu/libfpu.a

So if the support libraries are not built the plugin will not build. If developing the VM one wants to build the plugins and one would build the required support libraries. As VMMaker.oscog is being hosted both in Pharo and Squeak it would be most convenient if the Pharo build would include the plugins.  The only change would be to add the processor plugins to plugins.ext in the pharo.cog.spur build directories.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Would anyone object if I added optional building of the processor plugins to the Pharo builds?

Guillermo Polito

Hi Eliot,

I see no objection myself, on the contrary.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Esteban, Hi All,

the Mac (and I *think* linux & Windows) builds are set up to not build a plugin if any of the files specified by the PREREQUISITES variable in the plugin Makefile do not exist.  For example, in platforms/iOS/plugins/BochsX64Plugin/Makefile there are the lines

PREREQUISITES:=$(BOX)/cpu/libcpu.a $(BOX)/disasm/libdisasm.a $(BOX)/fpu/libfpu.a

So if the support libraries are not built the plugin will not build. If developing the VM one wants to build the plugins and one would build the required support libraries. As VMMaker.oscog is being hosted both in Pharo and Squeak it would be most convenient if the Pharo build would include the plugins.  The only change would be to add the processor plugins to plugins.ext in the pharo.cog.spur build directories.

Out of ignorance, what are the processor plugins? libcpu, libdiasm and libfpu? or BochsIA32Plugin, BochsX64Plugin, GdbARMPlugin...?

I'm checking the squeak osx makefiles to see what the differences are and I spot the second set only. 
Adding those to the plugin.ext should suffice?

Cheers,
Guille
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Would anyone object if I added optional building of the processor plugins to the Pharo builds?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Guille,

On Jan 8, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot,

Hi Esteban, Hi All,

Out of ignorance, what are the processor plugins? libcpu, libdiasm and libfpu? or BochsIA32Plugin, BochsX64Plugin, GdbARMPlugin...?

The plugins are the ones that end in Plugin and the support libraries (actually libcpu.a et al) are the ones beginning with lib (and ending in .a, for “archive”).

I'm checking the squeak osx makefiles to see what the differences are and I spot the second set only. 

Yes (which has been done).

Cheers,
Guille
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito

Ahh, I got confused with the explanation of the support libraries. I re-read your email and I got what you meant on the first time.
Thanks for the change!

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Guille,

On Jan 8, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot,

Hi Esteban, Hi All,

The plugins are the ones that end in Plugin and the support libraries (actually libcpu.a et al) are the ones beginning with lib (and ending in .a, for “archive”).

Yes (which has been done).

Cheers,
Guille
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io