WriteBarrier in trunk

radoslav hodnicak

Hi,

I'm trying to get Magma's WriteBarrier to work in trunk - which version of
NewCompiler works in trunk (and preferably doesn't require the whole RB
kitchensink)?

rado

Re: WriteBarrier in trunk

Lukas Renggli
> I'm trying to get Magma's WriteBarrier to work in trunk - which version of
> NewCompiler works in trunk (and preferably doesn't require the whole RB
> kitchensink)?

There is no version of the NewCompiler that fully works with closure images yet.

And yes, the NewCompiler requires the whole kitchen sink and also the bathtub.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: WriteBarrier in trunk

radoslav hodnicak

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> There is no version of the NewCompiler that fully works with closure images yet.
>
> And yes, the NewCompiler requires the whole kitchen sink and also the bathtub.

In the light of this answer, I remember there's been a plan to support
immutability of objects at the VM level? Is that on the roadmap for Cog?

rado

Re: WriteBarrier in trunk

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM, radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Lukas Renggli wrote:

There is no version of the NewCompiler that fully works with closure images yet.

And yes, the NewCompiler requires the whole kitchen sink and also the bathtub.

In the light of this answer, I remember there's been a plan to support immutability of objects at the VM level? Is that on the roadmap for Cog?

No, but the code exists in the Newspeak VM, so it would be easy to import into current Squeak VMs.  It would take a little more work to bring it into Cog because I'd have to write the native code for the write checks in inst var assign and the at: primitive, but this is literally only a little work.

Someone who has time might look at the Newspeak VM's immutability code and play with merging it with VMMaker.

rado