X11 lead from sourceforge

1 message Options

X11 lead from sourceforge

Paul Sheldon-2
I googled. My path : X11 tiger bug 1.1.3 didn't focus like an older path
X11 tiger bug
on a newswire from sourceforge in which finding the relevant sentence
fragment I got in reverse chrono sequence a focus on the problem of X11
launch and install. I had to realize that things made sense in time reverse
order of post and immediate answer.

The first question was my question, the answer was one I got here which
didn't work perhaps because there are several tiger install disks floating
around.
There was a June 2006 but also an earlier one in the developer cd's.
There was also the installs sold in the apple stores which might or might
not
be different. So the response in only 40 minutes might have been a bit
too glib and require thrashing (by me).

The later tiger install cd doesn't have optional installs
as cited below but tries to make
my tiger 10.4.x go down to its level or not, period.

Version tracker gives a brief on what X11 is, going something like,
a unix x window system allowing 11 apps and allowing unix ports.

However, from this, I've archived my focus for future reference in naggle
to be searched as needed to confirm someone with a panther version
getting told they don't need an upgrade to tiger by an X11 install
is merely seeing a bug in the X11 development team error reporting.

Error messages, you see, are very hard to write and prone themselves to
error.
You don't need to assume you are losing it when an error message tells you
something rediculous as they, themselves, are not a definitive source.

reference :
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1659353&group_id=93438&atid=604306

citation in time forward order :
Date: 2007-02-17 12:51
Sender: vincentcl
Logged In: YES
user_id=1713480
Originator: NO

When I download the X11 1.1..3 updater from the Apple site and launch it,
I get the message "This system doesn't need this update".
(I have 1.0 on mac os 10.4.8 PPC)

Date: 2007-02-17 13:34
Sender: mjwybrow
Logged In: YES
user_id=1110550
Originator: NO

Vincent, to update you need to update X11 from the Tiger install DVD
(found under "additional packages" or "optional installs" or similar).
Then, once you have done this it will let you apply the 1.1.3 update.  It
doesn't let you now since version 1.0 was for panther and they don't want
panther users upgrading to an incompatible Tiger version.

Joshua, I will investigate adding a check for X11 version.