XML in Croquet, Xrfb, KAT demo

LeMyriapode
Hi,

I'm a newbies with croquet and ... a french with a poor english
so, I understand now the basic concepts
I ask me questions about Xml in Croquet, particulary in the wisconsin package (Wisconsin-Xrbf XrbfServerMaker)
and in CroquetMenuProject actionLoadWorld ...
Where can I have precisions ? how does it work (in general)
I've built a xrfb server on linux Opensuse 10.2, it work with sub-menu "desktop"  in collaborative package, the KAT demo
I'm trying to do my own  http://earth.software.umn.edu/ etc ...
I don't find help on http://www.opencroquet.org/
is it clear ? sorry if it isn't. Is it naive ?

Best regards

LeMyriapode, [hidden email]
04-03-2007

Re: XML in Croquet, Xrfb, KAT demo

Howard Stearns
Gilles, your english is much better than my french!
But I am not certain what your question is.

It sounds like you have already succeeded in one area. I understand
you to be saying that you have created your own Xrfb server using the
software at http://atsosxdev.doit.wisc.edu/croquet/Xrfb/, as
described at https://lists.duke.edu/sympa/arc/croquet-dev/2007-02/
msg00051.html
It sounds like you have this working correctly, in that you can use
View->Remote Desktop Configuration -> Configure... to specify the
address of your own Xrfb server, and then New->Desktop... to connect
to it.    This is terrific, as you are probably the first person to
have done so outside the original authors (Henry Strickland and Ryan
Seto) or the team in Wisconsin that commissioned the work.
Congratulations!

[By the way, "Strick" also wrote a game in the older Jasmine version
of pre-Croquet.  See http://opencroquet.org/index.php/
Current_Projects#A_Croquet_Game_Called_Q]

You also say that you have questions about Xml, but I don't know what
the question is:

Xrfb isn't very related to XML. ("RFB" stands for Remote Frame
Buffer, which is another name for "VNC", or Virtual Network
Computing.  These terms are not peculiar to Croquet.  "Xrfb" stands
for eXperimental RFB. The difference between Xrfb and normal RFB is
that Xrfb has an initial step in which the originating client sends
an HTTP message to the server to initiate a new shared session for a
particular resource. This HTTP message doesn't use XML or SOAP or
anything like that.)

Part of your question (or questions?) appears to be about how worlds
are created and how people can enter them. (And one of the mechanisms
for this does use XML!  But that's only incidental.) This is indeed
confusing.  Croquet developer's have created a whole bunch of
slightly different styles and mechanisms for both discovery and the
bootstrapping of worlds. There is no one "true" mechanism that has
emerged as dominant, and the different demos do different things.
Discovery and boostrapping are different, different combinations of
styles might not work together, and the different mechanisms might
not work when used within extensions to the different demos.  I've
written up my understanding of the concepts at:
2C_Connecting_and_Discovery
and
   http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Populating_Worlds

The XML postcard and the KnownWorlds directory are works in progress
at Minnesota. I can put them into context (at the above links), but
detailed questions will require one of the developers.

-H

On Mar 4, 2007, at 3:45 AM, LeMyriapode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbies with croquet and ... a french with a poor english
> so, I understand now the basic concepts
> I ask me questions about Xml in Croquet, particulary in the
> wisconsin package (Wisconsin-Xrbf XrbfServerMaker)
> and in CroquetMenuProject actionLoadWorld ...
> Where can I have precisions ? how does it work (in general)
> I've built a xrfb server on linux Opensuse 10.2, it work with sub-
> menu "desktop"  in collaborative package, the KAT demo
> I'm trying to do my own  http://earth.software.umn.edu/ etc ...
> I don't find help on http://www.opencroquet.org/
> is it clear ? sorry if it isn't. Is it naive ?
>
> Best regards
>

> LeMyriapode, [hidden email]
> http://blogforcroquetproject.blogspot.com/
> 04-03-2007

Re: XML in Croquet, Xrfb, KAT demo

LeMyriapode
Hi ,

I forgot to say thank you !
I'm thinking about your post ....

I've published my small experience with "Xrfb" on my Blog
http://blogforcroquetproject.blogspot.com/

Where is the "list" of the French/French-speaking persons using/developing the
fantastic Croquet project ! Please ...

Regards