XO laptop: EToyChallenge Step 7

Young-Jin Lee-3
Dear all,

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but I hope to get the answer to this question from here.

I purchased the XO laptop for my son. These days he tries to finish eToy Challenge that came with his XO laptop, but stuck at the Step 7. In this step, he is supposed to send the car to the goal using the given eToy blocks. I tried to help him myself, but could not figure it out. The problem was that the path is so curved that the car needs at least two "eyes" to detect where the car is going instead of one as is given in this Challenge.

Could someone tell me how to solve this challenge? I want to give my son some hints.

Thanks in advance.

YJ

Re: XO laptop: EToyChallenge Step 7

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 2, 2008, at 1:01 , Young-Jin Lee wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but I
> hope to get the answer to this question from here.
>
> I purchased the XO laptop for my son. These days he tries to finish
> eToy Challenge that came with his XO laptop, but stuck at the Step
> 7. In this step, he is supposed to send the car to the goal using
> the given eToy blocks. I tried to help him myself, but could not
> figure it out. The problem was that the path is so curved that the
> car needs at least two "eyes" to detect where the car is going
> instead of one as is given in this Challenge.

Suppose the blue path was a wall, could you follow it if you were
blind-folded with a stick in your hand?

- Bert -

Re: XO laptop: EToyChallenge Step 7

Kazuhiro ABE
Hello, Young-Jin Lee,

Bert already gave you a good hint.
I have another metaphor to solve this kind of problem.
Now, you are riding a bicycle and a white line is painted on the road.
If you must be keeping the edge of line (not on the line), what do you
do?
Or imagine other things. For example, a thermostat of an electric
heater, an automated speed control system of a car and etc. These are
controlled by same mechanism called feedback.

On the other hand, you found the solution that used two eyes.
There are many many viewpoints to solve one problem. But my tutorial
seems to force you and your son to choose only one viewpoint. It was a
limitation of usual static tutorial. But you can change the rule of
this tutorial because it was created by Etoys itself. You can get
halos of the car with alt key plus left click.
So please show your idea to your son and think together about other
solutions after finished this tutorial.

Regards,
Kazuhiro Abe

Re: XO laptop: EToyChallenge Step 7

kathleen harness
Hello Young-Jin Lee
I attached a photo of the script with tiles in places so the car will reach the goal. Combine this with the other answers on the Squeakland list for ways to think of hints that will lead your son to the answer. When I was very new at Etoys, there were times when I just wanted someone to show me. I hope you and your son have many happy hours figuring out challenges of your own in Etoys.
Regards,
Kathleen

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but I hope to get the answer to this question from here.

I purchased the XO laptop for my son. These days he tries to finish eToy Challenge that came with his XO laptop, but stuck at the Step 7. In this step, he is supposed to send the car to the goal using the given eToy blocks. I tried to help him myself, but could not figure it out. The problem was that the path is so curved that the car needs at least two "eyes" to detect where the car is going instead of one as is given in this Challenge.

Could someone tell me how to solve this challenge? I want to give my son some hints.

Thanks in advance.

YJ

spoiler.PNG (80K) Download Attachment