classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

aarch64 squeak-vm

KenDickey

To recap,

I was able to build the older Debian package (4.10.2.2614) and, with a simple addition to config.guess, the Squeak.Org vm (4.16.5-3765) under aarch64 Armbian Linux.   This withOUT 32 bit libs.

I have started down the trail toward oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur.

The build/mvm file has x86 flags ("TARGET_ARCH=-m64" "-msse2"), and I need to set a number of flags, based on email with Tim (Thanks!) to set __arm64__ and ARM64 and adjust sqUnixMain.c for aarch64.

Given that I have not done C/Bash/Make for a couple of decades, any help in deciding where these flags are set and which of the 4736 gcc flags need to be set would be most welcome.  The "-march=native" flag certainly won't do for a cross-platform build.

So the proximate bits I see are
  [1] what flags should be set in mvm (cross-plartform)
  [2] what flags set in config.guess
  [3] what aarch specifics are needed in sqUnixMain.c (and possibly platform/unix/vm/include_ucontext,h)

After that, of course, is squeak.cog.spur and relearning gdb, sigh.

Just muddling through,
-KenD

----- Original Message -----
"Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]>

To:
<[hidden email]>
Cc:

Sent:
Thu, 6 Dec 2018 06:27:34 -0800
Subject:
Re: [Vm-dev] [Vm-beginners] aarch64 squeak-vm

Hi Ken,

I just subscribed to the list. Could you send your message again, specifying what exactly you want help with (understanding what’s going on, how to find the set if predefined macros on your system, where to look for the relevant definitions, etc)? Then I’ll respond.

Cheers
_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
Eliot

-KenD
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: aarch64 squeak-vm

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ken,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:24 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

To recap,

I was able to build the older Debian package (4.10.2.2614) and, with a simple addition to config.guess, the Squeak.Org vm (4.16.5-3765) under aarch64 Armbian Linux.   This withOUT 32 bit libs.

I have started down the trail toward oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur.

The build/mvm file has x86 flags ("TARGET_ARCH=-m64" "-msse2"), and I need to set a number of flags, based on email with Tim (Thanks!) to set __arm64__ and ARM64 and adjust sqUnixMain.c for aarch64.

Given that I have not done C/Bash/Make for a couple of decades, any help in deciding where these flags are set and which of the 4736 gcc flags need to be set would be most welcome.  The "-march=native" flag certainly won't do for a cross-platform build.

So the proximate bits I see are
  [1] what flags should be set in mvm (cross-plartform)
  [2] what flags set in config.guess
  [3] what aarch specifics are needed in sqUnixMain.c (and possibly platform/unix/vm/include_ucontext,h)

After that, of course, is squeak.cog.spur and relearning gdb, sigh.

ARM8 is a new ISA so at this point development will have to move to the Simulator and write a back end in the CogAbstractInstruction framework. One will also have to create a processor simulator plugin, e.g. GdbARM64Plugin, to complement GdbARMPlugin, BochsX64Plugin et al.  And this level of development is a lot of fun. See https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3281295.

Just muddling through,
-KenD

----- Original Message -----
"Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]>

To:
<[hidden email]>
Cc:

Sent:
Thu, 6 Dec 2018 06:27:34 -0800
Subject:
Re: [Vm-dev] [Vm-beginners] aarch64 squeak-vm

Hi Ken,

I just subscribed to the list. Could you send your message again, specifying what exactly you want help with (understanding what’s going on, how to find the set if predefined macros on your system, where to look for the relevant definitions, etc)? Then I’ll respond.

Cheers
_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot