aarch64 squeak-vm

KenDickey

To recap,

I was able to build the older Debian package (4.10.2.2614) and, with a simple addition to config.guess, the Squeak.Org vm (4.16.5-3765) under aarch64 Armbian Linux.   This withOUT 32 bit libs.

I have started down the trail toward oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur.

The build/mvm file has x86 flags ("TARGET_ARCH=-m64" "-msse2"), and I need to set a number of flags, based on email with Tim (Thanks!) to set __arm64__ and ARM64 and adjust sqUnixMain.c for aarch64.

Given that I have not done C/Bash/Make for a couple of decades, any help in deciding where these flags are set and which of the 4736 gcc flags need to be set would be most welcome.  The "-march=native" flag certainly won't do for a cross-platform build.

So the proximate bits I see are
  [1] what flags should be set in mvm (cross-plartform)
  [2] what flags set in config.guess
  [3] what aarch specifics are needed in sqUnixMain.c (and possibly platform/unix/vm/include_ucontext,h)

After that, of course, is squeak.cog.spur and relearning gdb, sigh.

Just muddling through,
-KenD

Re: aarch64 squeak-vm

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Ken,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:24 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ARM8 is a new ISA so at this point development will have to move to the Simulator and write a back end in the CogAbstractInstruction framework. One will also have to create a processor simulator plugin, e.g. GdbARM64Plugin, to complement GdbARMPlugin, BochsX64Plugin et al.  And this level of development is a lot of fun. See https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3281295.

Just muddling through,
-KenD

--
best, Eliot