about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
12302
-----

- GLMOrangeUITheme. Thanks Igor Stasenko

I don't agree with this kind of changes.
Tomorrow I want Watery2BlackTheme and GLMYellowUITHeme and what?  we are going to integrate it also?

I don't understand. The change should be to create a setting to set the color and then igor runs a script in his own image that set it to orange. Me to yellow. And you to pink.

- Issue 3538:   Add a "Browse test" in the TestRunner failed/error list. Thanks Benjamin van Ryseghem

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Alain Plantec-4
Hi all,
yes, I agree

list selection and selection colors (and some others) can be changed
from the setting browser.
I think that in the core only the default theme should be present.
The others should be packaged separately and loadable on-demand or
when a package is loaded as it is for moose/glamour.
Cheers
Alain

Le 13/01/2011 21:27, Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>
>     12302
>     -----
>
>     - GLMOrangeUITheme. Thanks Igor Stasenko
>

> I don't agree with this kind of changes.
> Tomorrow I want Watery2BlackTheme and GLMYellowUITHeme and what?  we
> are going to integrate it also?
>
> I don't understand. The change should be to create a setting to set
> the color and then igor runs a script in his own image that set it to
> orange. Me to yellow. And you to pink.
>

>     - Issue 3538:   Add a "Browse test" in the TestRunner failed/error
>     list. Thanks Benjamin van Ryseghem
>
>     Stef

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Igor Stasenko
On 13 January 2011 21:57, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> yes, I agree
>
> list selection and selection colors (and some others) can be changed from
> the setting browser.
> I think that in the core only the default theme should be present.
> The others should be packaged separately and loadable on-demand or
> when a package is loaded as it is for moose/glamour.

+1
i think we should get rid of all themes and leave only single default one.

Actually today i was attempting to make sure that orange could be turned into
any other color of choice by picking a different color in settings.
Unfortunately its not so easy, because some widget do not honor /
using theme settings correctly.

And theme by itself not always honors the settings.

As a wish for future, i think we should fold all UI settings under a
per-theme settings,
so when user selects a concrete UI theme, then theme could control,
which UI Settings
it makes public and this allows to be modified, and which are not, and
should always use built-in (like window color or icons).

Then theme could control whether it supports changing particular setting or not.
For instance i could use single color (orange) to define colors for
multiple things:
 - Menu selection color
 - Find replace selection color
 ... others

and to user show only 'Selection color'

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I agree that there should be only one, platform independent look-and-feel. I think the goal of such a theme would be to be slick and fast.

Now, regarding the GLMOrangeTheme, the name is a bit confusing because the theme does a bit more than just setting a color.

I like the idea of settings, and I will try to make the Glamorous Theme use it.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Beauty is where we see it."

On 14 January 2011 09:32, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree that there should be only one, platform independent look-and-feel. I think the goal of such a theme would be to be slick and fast.

agreed.

> Now, regarding the GLMOrangeTheme, the name is a bit confusing because the theme does a bit more than just setting a color.

agreed, usually if you look at other theme(s) for various UI
frameworks they having a theme bundled with a number of presets, so
the most elements of look and feel are the same, but colors are
different.

It is like subtheme in theme. That's why its good to support settings,
so people could change them and save their own preset.
So, users could pick a theme and then second level appears (if theme
supports it), where they can pick a preset.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Improve the infrastructure so that we can get rid of most of the subclasses.
Now the best way to make sure that this will happen is that some people see it right in front of their nose.

Did you notice for example that we were just some to attend the irc?
So how can we really communicate?

Stef

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 12302
> -----
>
> - GLMOrangeUITheme. Thanks Igor Stasenko
>
> I don't agree with this kind of changes.
> Tomorrow I want Watery2BlackTheme and GLMYellowUITHeme and what?  we are going to integrate it also?
>
> I don't understand. The change should be to create a setting to set the color and then igor runs a script in his own image that set it to orange. Me to yellow. And you to pink.
>

> - Issue 3538:   Add a "Browse test" in the TestRunner failed/error list. Thanks Benjamin van Ryseghem
>
> Stef

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Richard Durr-2
Why not create a chat client that automatically connects to a central lobby whenever you open an image, so that everybody can chat ^^

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Improve the infrastructure so that we can get rid of most of the subclasses.
Now the best way to make sure that this will happen is that some people see it right in front of their nose.

Did you notice for example that we were just some to attend the irc?
So how can we really communicate?

Stef

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 12302
> -----
>
> - GLMOrangeUITheme. Thanks Igor Stasenko
>
> I don't agree with this kind of changes.
> Tomorrow I want Watery2BlackTheme and GLMYellowUITHeme and what?  we are going to integrate it also?
>
> I don't understand. The change should be to create a setting to set the color and then igor runs a script in his own image that set it to orange. Me to yellow. And you to pink.
>

> - Issue 3538:   Add a "Browse test" in the TestRunner failed/error list. Thanks Benjamin van Ryseghem
>
> Stef

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I haven't seen your mail, but I have started to wrote such a messenger client, maybe it could be fun (and useful) to improve it a bit :)

If someone is interested, I can (if squeaksource is not down again) commit sources

Ben

On Feb 20, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Richard Durr wrote:

Why not create a chat client that automatically connects to a central lobby whenever you open an image, so that everybody can chat ^^

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Improve the infrastructure so that we can get rid of most of the subclasses.
Now the best way to make sure that this will happen is that some people see it right in front of their nose.

Did you notice for example that we were just some to attend the irc?
So how can we really communicate?

Stef

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 12302
> -----
>
> - GLMOrangeUITheme. Thanks Igor Stasenko
>
> I don't agree with this kind of changes.
> Tomorrow I want Watery2BlackTheme and GLMYellowUITHeme and what?  we are going to integrate it also?
>
> I don't understand. The change should be to create a setting to set the color and then igor runs a script in his own image that set it to orange. Me to yellow. And you to pink.
>

> - Issue 3538:   Add a "Browse test" in the TestRunner failed/error list. Thanks Benjamin van Ryseghem
>
> Stef

Re: about GLMOrangeUITheme [WAS] Re: [update 1.2] #12302

laurent laffont
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't seen your mail, but I have started to wrote such a messenger client, maybe it could be fun (and useful) to improve it a bit :)

If someone is interested, I can (if squeaksource is not down again) commit sources

Yes.

Laurent.