about squeak size

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi edgar and pavel

I removed a lot of classes from Squeak3.9 and I arrived to something
like 1400.
however after several GC and cache flushing I only gained a couple of
MB. From 17Mb to 16Mb.
I wanted to know where you got a big win to get down to 6 Mb

Re: about squeak size

Marcus Denker

On 11.02.2006, at 13:41, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi edgar and pavel
>
> I removed a lot of classes from Squeak3.9 and I arrived to
> something like 1400.
> however after several GC and cache flushing I only gained a couple
> of MB. From 17Mb to 16Mb.
> I wanted to know where you got a big win to get down to 6 Mb

You should clean out the changesets... they hold on to the
compiledmethods, which is huge...
Another thing to do is to run the releasebuilder scripts, e.g. remove
undeclareds, compact
Symboltable and things like that.

       Marcus

Re: about squeak size

Marcus Denker

On 11.02.2006, at 13:50, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 11.02.2006, at 13:41, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
> You should clean out the changesets... they hold on to the
> compiledmethods, which is huge...
> Another thing to do is to run the releasebuilder scripts, e.g.
> remove undeclareds, compact
> Symboltable and things like that.

The current squeak 3.9 is 14.3MB after running most of the cleanup
scripts. 3.8 is 12.4
So 3.9a is 2MB larger, in the state that it is right now.

          Marcus

Re: about squeak size

stéphane ducasse-2
Ok this is interesting
I will try to come up with a first automatic way.

>> You should clean out the changesets... they hold on to the
>> compiledmethods, which is huge...

OK I was stupid to forget that.

>> Another thing to do is to run the releasebuilder scripts, e.g.
>> remove undeclareds, compact
>> Symboltable and things like that.
>
> The current squeak 3.9 is 14.3MB after running most of the cleanup
> scripts. 3.8 is 12.4
> So 3.9a is 2MB larger, in the state that it is right now.

So this means that we could go much further since lot of classes can
be removed out of the current 3.9.

stef

Re: about squeak size

stéphane ducasse-2
What is important is not only to be able to remove code but to learn
what are the missing infrastructure.

For example, removing lot of classes was easy even in 2.8 or 3.0 but
you had the file list which had a lot of references to existing classes.
This is why the filelist registration was introduced this way when
you unload
a package such as sound, then the file list does not have reference
to obsolete classes
anymore. So this is really what I would like to learn from your
experiments.
What are the changes that we should do to help unloading code?

Stef