accented characters + squeak

Herve Darce-2
Hi,

I use squeak  3.10 + seaside + pier and use Linux utf8.  I am french. So
I use accented characters.

On the side of pier, accented characters spend. By against the same
asString text under squeak includes characters incomprehensible.
Moreover, I can not write with the keyboard one character accentuated in
squeak, it displays a debugger.

In the workspace "print it" "234 asCharacter asString."
I see correctly the string with the "e" with its emphasis
circumflexe.

How to use accented characters in asString minimum?

Thank you for your help.

Herve Darce

Re: accented characters + squeak

Lukas Renggli
>  On the side of pier, accented characters spend. By against the same
>  asString text under squeak includes characters incomprehensible.
>  Moreover, I can not write with the keyboard one character accentuated in
>  squeak, it displays a debugger.

You are using a different encoding on the web, than Squeak is using internally.

Pier and Seaside normally treat data as byte-arrays, they don't care
what encoding they have (that works well for what Seaside and Pier are
doing). This is what the server-adapter WAKom is doing (or not doing).

If you want to convert data coming from the web to Squeak format, then
use WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom. This converts all data coming in
and going out to the right format, but is also sort of slow.

Don't miss the talk of Philippe:

   http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/WideStrings+and+utf-8

Cheers,
Lukas

>  In the workspace "print it" "234 asCharacter asString."
>  I see correctly the string with the "e" with its emphasis
>  circumflexe.
>
>  How to use accented characters in asString minimum?
>

>  Thank you for your help.
>
>  Herve Darce

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: accented characters + squeak

Herve Darce-2

>>  On the side of pier, accented characters spend. By against the same
>>  asString text under squeak includes characters incomprehensible.
>>  Moreover, I can not write with the keyboard one character accentuated in
>>  squeak, it displays a debugger.
>>

> You are using a different encoding on the web, than Squeak is using internally.
>
> Pier and Seaside normally treat data as byte-arrays, they don't care
> what encoding they have (that works well for what Seaside and Pier are
> doing). This is what the server-adapter WAKom is doing (or not doing).
>
> If you want to convert data coming from the web to Squeak format, then
> use WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom. This converts all data coming in
> and going out to the right format, but is also sort of slow.
>
> Don't miss the talk of Philippe:
>
>    http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/WideStrings+and+utf-8
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

How to write a character accentuated with my keyboard? Squeak displays
the debbuger when I strike on the "é" on the keyboard. I can't use
accented characters into squeak with keyboard.
How to write a utf8 file? I am Linux utf8.
So How to use utf8 and not latin-1 into squeak?

Thank you for your help

Re: accented characters + squeak

Bert Freudenberg
Am 20.08.2008 um 06:19 schrieb Hervé Darce:

> How to write a character accentuated with my keyboard? Squeak
> displays the debbuger when I strike on the "é" on the keyboard. I
> can't use accented characters into squeak with keyboard.
> How to write a utf8 file? I am Linux utf8.
> So How to use utf8 and not latin-1 into squeak?

There were numerous missing pieces to make this work under Linux. But
a couple 100 000 kids in Spanish-speaking countries were motivation
enough to fix this in the OLPC VM and image :)

You should use the very latest Linux VM (3.10-1 is the latest
release). Your image might need fixing too, you could try if it works
with the Etoys image (it should):

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> Am 20.08.2008 um 06:19 schrieb Hervé Darce:
>
>> How to write a character accentuated with my keyboard? Squeak
>> displays the debbuger when I strike on the "é" on the keyboard. I
>> can't use accented characters into squeak with keyboard.
>> How to write a utf8 file? I am Linux utf8.
>> So How to use utf8 and not latin-1 into squeak?
>

> There were numerous missing pieces to make this work under Linux. But
> a couple 100 000 kids in Spanish-speaking countries were motivation
> enough to fix this in the OLPC VM and image :)
>
> You should use the very latest Linux VM (3.10-1 is the latest
> release). Your image might need fixing too, you could try if it works
> with the Etoys image (it should):
>
> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip
>
> - Bert -

I have already squeak 3.10.2 (#7179)  but squeak  doesn't want accented
characters on the keyboard.

I selected the Spanish language but nothing happens an my language,
french, doesn't exist.

Command squeakToUtf8, utf8ToSqueak and isToUtf8  allow me to use
accented characters  without keyboard.

Hervé Darce

Am 20.08.2008 um 18:28 schrieb Hervé Darce:

> Bert Freudenberg a écrit :
>> Am 20.08.2008 um 06:19 schrieb Hervé Darce:
>>
>>> How to write a character accentuated with my keyboard? Squeak
>>> displays the debbuger when I strike on the "é" on the keyboard. I
>>> can't use accented characters into squeak with keyboard.
>>> How to write a utf8 file? I am Linux utf8.
>>> So How to use utf8 and not latin-1 into squeak?
>>

>> There were numerous missing pieces to make this work under Linux.
>> But a couple 100 000 kids in Spanish-speaking countries were
>> motivation enough to fix this in the OLPC VM and image :)
>>
>> You should use the very latest Linux VM (3.10-1 is the latest
>> release). Your image might need fixing too, you could try if it
>> works with the Etoys image (it should):
>>
>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
> I have already squeak 3.10.2 (#7179)  but squeak  doesn't want
> accented characters on the keyboard.
>
> I selected the Spanish language but nothing happens an my language,
> french, doesn't exist.
>
> Command squeakToUtf8, utf8ToSqueak and isToUtf8  allow me to use
> accented characters  without keyboard.

That is all irrelevant, please read again what I wrote.

- Bert -

Re: accented characters + squeak

Herve Darce

> That is all irrelevant, please read again what I wrote.
>
> - Bert -

it's not easy to write in English

when I type the "é" on the keyboard for example, a debbuger displayed.
The problem is similar to this: "Character value: -61".  It is
impossible to use keyboard.

Hervé Darce

Re: accented characters + squeak

Herve Darce-2

>> I have already squeak 3.10.2 (#7179)  but squeak  doesn't want
>> accented characters on the keyboard.
>>
>> I selected the Spanish language but nothing happens an my language,
>> french, doesn't exist.
>>
>> Command squeakToUtf8, utf8ToSqueak and isToUtf8  allow me to use
>> accented characters  without keyboard.
>

> That is all irrelevant, please read again what I wrote.
>
> - Bert -

It's not easy to write in English. I'm sorry.

when I type the "é" on the keyboard, for example, a debbuger displayed.
The problem is similar to this: "Character value: -61". It is impossible
to use keyboard.

Hervé Darce

Re: accented characters + squeak

Michael Davies-2
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Hervé Darce <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not easy to write in English. I'm sorry.
>
> when I type the "é" on the keyboard, for example, a debbuger displayed.  The
> problem is similar to this: "Character value: -61". It is impossible to use
> keyboard.

Hervé,

Your explanation of the problem is clear; you misunderstood the advice
you were given.

Bert wanted you to check your version of the *VM*, not the *image*.
They have very similar, but unrelated, version numbers.

If you downloaded Squeak from http://squeak.org/Download, the VM you
will have is probably 3.9.

Try going to http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/ to get the very latest VM
as Bert recommended.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: accented characters + squeak

Herve Darce-2

> Hervé,
>
> Your explanation of the problem is clear; you misunderstood the advice
> you were given.
>
> Bert wanted you to check your version of the *VM*, not the *image*.
> They have very similar, but unrelated, version numbers.
>
> If you downloaded Squeak from http://squeak.org/Download, the VM you
> will have is probably 3.9.
>
> Try going to http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/ to get the very latest VM
> as Bert recommended.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

I use squeak 3.10.1
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/Squeak-3.10-1.src.tar.gz. Is it
the latest?

Too, I use the image
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5550/sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1.zip.

Cheers

Hervé Darce

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Hervé Darce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use squeak 3.10.1
> http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/Squeak-3.10-1.src.tar.gz. Is it the
> latest?
>
> Too, I use the image
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5550/sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1.zip.

Have you tried running the image from
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip using that VM, as
Bert suggested?
That will allow you to identify if the problem is in the VM or the
image. If that allows you to enter accented characters correctly, then
the problem is with the web image, else it's a VM problem.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: accented characters + squeak

Herve Darce-2

> Have you tried running the image from
> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip using that VM, as
> Bert suggested?
> That will allow you to identify if the problem is in the VM or the
> image. If that allows you to enter accented characters correctly, then
> the problem is with the web image, else it's a VM problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

The image etoys.image  allows me to enter accented characters correctly.
Thus, the problem is this image
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5550/sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1.zip.
Thanks, now I know that accented characters on the keyboard can be used
by squeak.

So how to solve the problem of my first image?

Cheers,

Hervé Darce

Am 21.08.2008 um 10:14 schrieb Hervé Darce:

>> Have you tried running the image from
>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip using that VM, as
>> Bert suggested?
>> That will allow you to identify if the problem is in the VM or the
>> image. If that allows you to enter accented characters correctly,
>> then
>> the problem is with the web image, else it's a VM problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>>

> The image etoys.image  allows me to enter accented characters
> correctly. Thus, the problem is this image https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5550/sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1.zip
> .
> Thanks, now I know that accented characters on the keyboard can be
> used by squeak.
>
> So how to solve the problem of my first image?

You need to apply some fixes:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2008-July/004656.html

They were reported to work (see that thread).

I asked the last guy who ran into this to report it on http://bugs.squeak.org/
  along with the fixes, but I'm not sure he did. So I do not know when
it will be folded into a Squeak release.

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> Am 21.08.2008 um 10:14 schrieb Hervé Darce:
>

>>> Have you tried running the image from
>>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip using that VM, as
>>> Bert suggested?
>>> That will allow you to identify if the problem is in the VM or the
>>> image. If that allows you to enter accented characters correctly, then
>>> the problem is with the web image, else it's a VM problem.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michael
>>>

>> The image etoys.image  allows me to enter accented characters
>> correctly. Thus, the problem is this image
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5550/sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1.zip.
>>
>> Thanks, now I know that accented characters on the keyboard can be
>> used by squeak.
>>
>> So how to solve the problem of my first image?
>

> You need to apply some fixes:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2008-July/004656.html
>

> They were reported to work (see that thread).
>
> I asked the last guy who ran into this to report it on
> http://bugs.squeak.org/ along with the fixes, but I'm not sure he did.
> So I do not know when it will be folded into a Squeak release.
>
> - Bert -

Thanks very much.  The problem is solved.

Hervé Darce

Re: accented characters + squeak

Nicolas Cellier-3
Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> Am 21.08.2008 um 10:14 schrieb Hervé Darce:
>

>>> Have you tried running the image from
>>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip using that VM, as
>>> Bert suggested?
>>> That will allow you to identify if the problem is in the VM or the
>>> image. If that allows you to enter accented characters correctly, then
>>> the problem is with the web image, else it's a VM problem.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michael
>>>

>> The image etoys.image  allows me to enter accented characters
>> correctly. Thus, the problem is this image
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/5550/sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1.zip.
>>
>> Thanks, now I know that accented characters on the keyboard can be
>> used by squeak.
>>
>> So how to solve the problem of my first image?
>

> You need to apply some fixes:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2008-July/004656.html
>
> They were reported to work (see that thread).
>
> I asked the last guy who ran into this to report it on
> http://bugs.squeak.org/ along with the fixes, but I'm not sure he did.
> So I do not know when it will be folded into a Squeak release.
>
> - Bert -

I found something at least at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7071

Cheers

Nicolas