accept (s)

Dan Norton

An inspector for the menu item "accept (s)" reveals a selector of "#perform:orSendTo:" which is implemented in Browser.

I want to follow the code and I put a halt in "#perform:orSendTo:" but the debugger never opened. What gives?

- Dan

Re: accept (s)

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Dan,

That doesn't sound quite right.

#perform:orSendTo: is probably overridden in Browser, but... have you looked to see if there's an implementation of it on Object or maybe ProtoObject or something like that?

I'm pretty sure that #perform: and cousins are usually general.

Not sure (on a cellphone) without looking at an actual running system, but try looking up the inheritance chain for another implementation of the same selector. That might help.

Let me know either way, when I get back to a real computer I'll look into it for you if you don't get it figured out by then.

Good hunting!

Casey

On Nov 25, 2014, at 5:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

An inspector for the menu item "accept (s)" reveals a selector of "#perform:orSendTo:" which is implemented in Browser.

I want to follow the code and I put a halt in "#perform:orSendTo:" but the debugger never opened. What gives?

- Dan

Re: accept (s)

Casey Ransberger-2
I didn't really say that well. If you're modifying a method and don't observe a change in behavior, it could be that you've changed a method that's overridden in a subclass, and that subclass may be the template for the actual object that's in play.

The reason I said to look up the class hierarchy was basically to ask you to check whether or not this is a method which runs deeper than just Browser.

Does that make sense?

Anyway let me know what you run into.

On Nov 25, 2014, at 5:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

An inspector for the menu item "accept (s)" reveals a selector of "#perform:orSendTo:" which is implemented in Browser.

I want to follow the code and I put a halt in "#perform:orSendTo:" but the debugger never opened. What gives?

- Dan

Re: accept (s)

Casey Ransberger-2
Human,

While this auto response might make sense if you were getting an email from a random stranger, you asked for help. I replied trying to help you. I'm not going to fill out a form in order to do that; I have better things to do.

Make this not happen on your mailing lists, disable it or something:

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

On Nov 25, 2014, at 5:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

An inspector for the menu item "accept (s)" reveals a selector of "#perform:orSendTo:" which is implemented in Browser.

I want to follow the code and I put a halt in "#perform:orSendTo:" but the debugger never opened. What gives?

- Dan

Re: accept (s)

Bert Freudenberg
On 26.11.2014, at 02:30, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

An inspector for the menu item "accept (s)" reveals a selector of "#perform:orSendTo:" which is implemented in Browser.

Is it? In my image, Browser inherits that method from StringHolder. I checked using a protocol browser (which shows all messages an object understands, including those implemented by superclasses).

I want to follow the code and I put a halt in "#perform:orSendTo:" but the debugger never opened. What gives?

When I put a halt in StringHolder>>perform:orSendTo:, the debugger opens fine, but only when I use the menu item to accept. The keyboard event uses a different code path.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: accept (s)

Dan Norton
>When I put a halt in StringHolder>>perform:orSendTo:, the debugger opens fine,
>but only when I use the menu item to accept. The keyboard event uses a
>different code path.

>- Bert -
That's it. Thanks, Bert.
- Dan