aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor

aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor

stes

Re: aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor

David T. Lewis

A fix is here in branch 'dtl/epoll-forksqueak':

  https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/dtl/epoll-forksqueak

I'm fairly sure these fixes are correct, but I don't want to merge to
the Cog branch without review.

I can't build the tip of Cog on my Ubuntu box right now due to an
unrelated issue with configuring header files, but if someone else
could try merging 'dtl/epoll-forksqueak' into branch 'Cog' to confirm
no issues, that would be great.

Dave

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 03:29:44PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried building opensmalltalk on Linux and for me when I launch the VM,
> then quit it, I get:
>
> aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor
>
> I modified the mvm script build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build/mvm
> and rebuilt with
>
> ax_cv_have_epoll=no ax_cv_have_epoll_pwait=no
>
> that works and when I then launch and quit the VM the
>
> aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor
>
> is not printed.
>
> Both OpenIndiana and Linux have epoll(7) but I'm unsure whether it
> is desired to disable epoll or to enable epoll.
>
> Thanks,
> David Stes

Re: aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor

stes

Hi,

Good news; I tried your changes related to epoll(7) support,
and in to my limited testing so far, it seems an improvement.

I tried on my Linux test server:

$ git branch
* (HEAD detached at origin/dtl/epoll-forksqueak)
  Cog

I built on Linux from that epoll-forksqueak branch,

$ grep EPOLL config.h
#define HAVE_EPOLL 1
#define HAVE_EPOLL_PWAIT 1

now for both the Cog and Stack Spur VM, when I launch it on Linux,
then quit it, I do *not* get the :

aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor

However the odd thing now is that if I try the main Cog branch on Linux,
I'm not getting the error any longer, so it seems to be gone.

I may by coincidence have seen the message, while it may be
perhaps not 100% reproducible but happening only occasionaly.

Anyway when on OpenIndiana (not Linux), I tried:

 configure

configure decides for me that it wants to enable epoll on OpenIndiana:

$ uname
SunOS

$ grep EPOLL config.h
#define HAVE_EPOLL 1
#define HAVE_EPOLL_PWAIT 1

so also on OpenIndiana (which is in the SunOS family) configure enables epoll.

$ git branch
* (HEAD detached at origin/dtl/epoll-forksqueak)
  Cog

so I compiled that version on OpenIndiana (with epoll as set by configure).

When I launch it, do something (open some browser), then quit it,
no error.

I tried sqstkspur64 and sqcogspur64.

Actually on OpenIndiana I have so far never seen the

aioDisable: epoll_ctl: Bad file descriptor

for the time epoll was enabled (a few months ago now).

But I have a feeling that these issues can be quite complex and subtle,
and that the issue may only be happening on some occasions.

In any case as far as I can see, your 'branch' seems an improvement.

David Stes