akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

123

akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
Cleanup of SUnit is almost done. There are 179 tests with 75% coverage. Missing
 are tests for the new resource setup and tests for the new history storage.

Changes

- uses announcements
- new class factory DSL
- does not print 'unexpected/expected' when empty
- factored all assertions into TAssertable
- copied Niall's 3-valued setup logic for test resources
- new expectation matcher DSL
- replaced history dictionary with proper class
- keeps history as TestResult in memory
- stores history as array in compiled methods
- unexpected/expected linked with stored history
- migrates #expectedDefects to stored history on the fly
- bug fix: 'run failures/errors' updates history
- bug fix: coverage is now able to cover itself
- added flags for compatibility and deprecation
- removed *a lot of* code duplication

I tried to run *all* tests in the latest image with akuhn/SUnit and it seems
 to run fine. There are 5 failures and 2 errors (both with akuhn/SUnit and
 pharo/SUnit). The new test suite starts faster. You click and tests start
 running immediately!

Progress:

 numClasses: 13 -> 19
 numKLOC: 965 -> 1209
 numMethods: 224 -> 291
 numStatements: 3086 -> 3903
 numTestCases: 51 -> 177
 numTestKLOC: 591 -> 1200
 numTestStatements: 2175 -> 4663
 testCoverage: 61% -> 75%

eventually, a SUnit with more test than production code!

Give it a try and lemme know whether it runs with your tests. All your tests
 should still run.

Gofer it
    disablePackageCache;
    squeaksource: 'akuhn';
    package: 'SUnit';
    package: 'SUnitGUI';
    load

cheers,
AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
s/chrismas/christmas/

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Adrian,

> Gofer it
>    disablePackageCache;
>    squeaksource: 'akuhn';
>    package: 'SUnit';
>    package: 'SUnitGUI';
>    load

Where is the update of Gofer that understand your expression?

I tried with Gofer-AdrianLienhard.79 and Gofer-DamienCassou.88 from
squeaksource.com/Pharo, but disablePackageCache: and package: are not
understood.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Lukas Renggli
> Where is the update of Gofer that understand your expression?

    [ Gofer gofer load ]
        on: Error
        do: [ :err | err retry ].
    Gofer gofer recompile.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Alexandre Bergel <alexandre@...> writes:

> > Gofer it
> >    disablePackageCache;
> >    squeaksource: 'akuhn';
> >    package: 'SUnit';
> >    package: 'SUnitGUI';
> >    load
>
> Where is the update of Gofer that understand your
> expression?

See Lukas's mail.

Alternatively use

    Gofer new
        "beware, might load wrong version
        from local cache with latest gofer!"
        squeaksource: 'akuhn';
        addPackage: 'SUnit';
        addPackage: 'SUnitGUI';
        load

the #disablePackageCache is only used to work around a glitch
 in the latest Gofer. (It attempts to load packages from the
 local cache that do *not* originate from akuhn. As it seems
 gofer always loads the package with the highest number
 independent of its origin. And keith's SUnit does have a
 higher version number than mine. You see the mess.)

--AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Adrian Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is great :)

I run all my SqueakDBX and GlorpDBX tests and I have one only problem:   the expectedFailures are not working any more :(

I put a halt are they are not even being called.

All the rest seem to work (I have even test resources in both projects)

Cheers

Mariano

Gofer it
   disablePackageCache;
   squeaksource: 'akuhn';
   package: 'SUnit';
   package: 'SUnitGUI';
   load

cheers,
AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Adrian: Can I still bother you with new requirements ? jajaja

First of all, thank you very much for putting a context menu when you press "right button" over a failing or error test. I really hate when it was run again instead of opening a context menu. Now, I noticed that you open a menu with the options "History" "Store..." and  "Show progress".

I really love one item more called "browse it"  and that opens a System Browser with that class, with that test method selected.

What do you think?

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
MMariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck@...> writes:

> This is great :) I run all my SqueakDBX and GlorpDBX tests

Thanks for using it!

> and I have one only problem: the expectedFailures are not working any more :(
 I put a halt are they are not even being called. All the rest seem to work (I
 have even test resources in both projects)

Cannot reproduce that. Can you check which version of SUnit is loaded in your
 image?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Adrian Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
MMariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck@...> writes:

> This is great :) I run all my SqueakDBX and GlorpDBX tests

Thanks for using it!

thanks you for the develop :)

> and I have one only problem: the expectedFailures are not working any more :(
 I put a halt are they are not even being called. All the rest seem to work (I
 have even test resources in both projects)

Cannot reproduce that. Can you check which version of SUnit is loaded in your
 image?

SUnit-AdrianKuhn.114
SUnitGUI-AdrianKuhn.57

As an example, I implement a instance side method of a test that doesn't extend directly from TestCase but from 2 o 3 in the middle that finally extends from TestCase:

expectedFailures
    ^ (SqueakDatabaseAccessor DefaultDriver = SqueakDBXDriver)
        ifTrue: [ #(testBlob testBlobWithSubstring testLargeBlob)]
        ifFalse: [ #()].

HTH

Mariano

--AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck@...> writes:

> As an example, I implement a instance side method of a test that doesn't
> extend directly from TestCase but from 2 o 3 in the middle that finally
> extends from TestCase:
>
>   expectedFailures
>       ^ (SqueakDatabaseAccessor DefaultDriver = SqueakDBXDriver)
>           ifTrue: [ #(testBlob testBlobWithSubstring testLargeBlob)]
>           ifFalse: [ #()].

Oh, dynamically generated expected failures! Awesome, I did not think of that
 use. Currently they are copied once into the stored history and then ignored
 upon further runs.

I'll fix that.

--AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck@...> writes:

> Adrian: Can I still bother you with new requirements ? jajaja

Your welcome :)

> First of all, thank you very much for putting a context menu when you press
> "right button" over a failing or error test. I really hate when it was run
> again instead of opening a context menu. Now, I noticed that you open a menu
> with the options "History" "Store..." and  "Show progress".

The history menu should *only* show up when you right-click in the colored
 status bar, but not on failure and error list. Can you conform that?

> I really love one item more called "browse it"  and that opens a System
> Browser with that class, with that test method selected. What do you think?

Awesome idea, I'll add that.

PS, I was also thinking about a 'step through test' option that open a debugger
 at the start of the test, rather than at the failing assertions. Will add that
 to the same menu...

--AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
Name: SUnit-AdrianKuhn.115
Author: AdrianKuhn
Time: 28 December 2009, 2:22:16 am
UUID: 21af8078-0c75-4323-89aa-5f0142fa09d4
Ancestors: SUnit-AdrianKuhn.114

Takes #expectedFailure into account.

As required by Mariano Martinez Peck on the mailing list. He
 uses the #expectedFailure method to dynamically create
 expected failures, rather than a fixed set of failures as is
 stored in stored history.

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
Name: SUnitGUI-AdrianKuhn.58
Author: AdrianKuhn
Time: 28 December 2009, 4:21:29 am
UUID: 88a3fdcc-e794-4666-8f50-80be6c8afcf4
Ancestors: SUnitGUI-AdrianKuhn.57

Context menu for failures and errors.

When you *right* click on a failure or error then a menu should
 show up. The menu offers to browse or debug the defect (as
 requested by Mariano Martinez Peck on the mailing list). As
 before, when you *left* click on a failure or error then it
 open ins the debugger.

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Alexandre Bergel
Hi!

Apparently, expectedFailure has a different behavior from the original
SUnit.
I have a test method declared in a expectedFailures method. However,
this test method does not fail, but it triggers a MNU. Running the
unit test tells me there is 1 error, the method that I declared as
expectedFailure. I guess this behavior is the right one.

How can I fix this? There is no sender or implementer of expectedErrors.

By the way, why TestCase>>expectedFailures is in the protocol 'history
management'? There is also two empty method categories in TestCase.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 28 Dec 2009, at 02:27, Adrian Kuhn wrote:

> Name: SUnit-AdrianKuhn.115
> Author: AdrianKuhn
> Time: 28 December 2009, 2:22:16 am
> UUID: 21af8078-0c75-4323-89aa-5f0142fa09d4
> Ancestors: SUnit-AdrianKuhn.114
>
> Takes #expectedFailure into account.
>
> As required by Mariano Martinez Peck on the mailing list. He
> uses the #expectedFailure method to dynamically create
> expected failures, rather than a fixed set of failures as is
> stored in stored history.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Adrian Kuhn
Alexandre Bergel <alexandre@...> writes:

> Apparently, expectedFailure has a different behavior from the original
> SUnit.

Yes, now as you mention errors. In the original it has the (undocumented)
 behavior of declaring expected failures *and* errors. I'll see how I can fix
 that.

> I have a test method declared in a expectedFailures method. However,
> this test method does not fail, but it triggers a MNU. Running the
> unit test tells me there is 1 error, the method that I declared as
> expectedFailure. I guess this behavior is the right one.
>
> How can I fix this? There is no sender or implementer of expectedErrors.

The preferred way is to store your results into the stored history. You can
 store the history with the context menu in the test runner. To do so, right
 click in the colored status field and choose `store history`. The stored
 results are treated as the expected results then.

> By the way, why TestCase>>expectedFailures is in the protocol 'history
> management'? There is also two empty method categories in TestCase.

The empty protocols are left overs of the old implementations. I dont know
 how to tell gofer/monticello to delete them. Do you know how?

--AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Alexandre Bergel
>> Apparently, expectedFailure has a different behavior from the
>> original
>> SUnit.
>
> Yes, now as you mention errors. In the original it has the
> (undocumented)
> behavior of declaring expected failures *and* errors. I'll see how I
> can fix
> that.

Maybe introducing a method expectedErrors would do the thing.

>> I have a test method declared in a expectedFailures method. However,
>> this test method does not fail, but it triggers a MNU. Running the
>> unit test tells me there is 1 error, the method that I declared as
>> expectedFailure. I guess this behavior is the right one.
>>
>> How can I fix this? There is no sender or implementer of
>> expectedErrors.
>
> The preferred way is to store your results into the stored history.
> You can
> store the history with the context menu in the test runner. To do
> so, right
> click in the colored status field and choose `store history`. The
> stored
> results are treated as the expected results then.

Yes, but... how is this related to the expectedError?

>> By the way, why TestCase>>expectedFailures is in the protocol
>> 'history
>> management'? There is also two empty method categories in TestCase.
>
> The empty protocols are left overs of the old implementations. I
> dont know
> how to tell gofer/monticello to delete them. Do you know how?

No idea. But this looks like to be a bug in Monticello no?

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: akuhn/SUnit, chrisma edition :)

Adrian I would love to see a videos of the new features you did :)

Stef (back writing and closing mail)

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Adrian Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck@...> writes:

> Adrian: Can I still bother you with new requirements ? jajaja

Your welcome :)

> First of all, thank you very much for putting a context menu when you press
> "right button" over a failing or error test. I really hate when it was run
> again instead of opening a context menu. Now, I noticed that you open a menu
> with the options "History" "Store..." and  "Show progress".

The history menu should *only* show up when you right-click in the colored
 status bar, but not on failure and error list. Can you conform that?

I think that yes :)  I attach an screenshot. Tell me is that's fine.
In that screenshot you can see also the error tests that actually are expectedFailures and with the previous version of Sunit, the were green.

> I really love one item more called "browse it"  and that opens a System
> Browser with that class, with that test method selected. What do you think?

Awesome idea, I'll add that.

Excellent :)

PS, I was also thinking about a 'step through test' option that open a debugger
 at the start of the test, rather than at the failing assertions. Will add that
 to the same menu...

Yes, that's cool also. Many times I have to go to the assertion and then a restart in the debugger.

Thank you very much.

Mariano

--AA

Picture 2.png (477K) Download Attachment

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Adrian Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck@...> writes:

> Adrian: Can I still bother you with new requirements ? jajaja

Your welcome :)

> First of all, thank you very much for putting a context menu when you press
> "right button" over a failing or error test. I really hate when it was run
> again instead of opening a context menu. Now, I noticed that you open a menu
> with the options "History" "Store..." and  "Show progress".

The history menu should *only* show up when you right-click in the colored
 status bar, but not on failure and error list. Can you conform that?

I think that yes :)  I attach an screenshot. Tell me is that's fine.
In that screenshot you can see also the error tests that actually are expectedFailures and with the previous version of Sunit, the were green.

I now tested with your latests commits and it seems to work ok. Only the items "Browse" and "Debug" are shown  over a failure/error test. And the other three ("History" "Store..." and  "Show progress".) are only in the status bar :)

> I really love one item more called "browse it"  and that opens a System
> Browser with that class, with that test method selected. What do you think?

Awesome idea, I'll add that.

Excellent :)

PS, I was also thinking about a 'step through test' option that open a debugger
 at the start of the test, rather than at the failing assertions. Will add that
 to the same menu...

Yes, that's cool also. Many times I have to go to the assertion and then a restart in the debugger.

Thank you very much.

Mariano

--AA

Re: akuhn/SUnit, christmas edition :)

Mariano Martinez Peck

Name: SUnit-AdrianKuhn.115
Author: AdrianKuhn
Time: 28 December 2009, 2:22:16 am
UUID: 21af8078-0c75-4323-89aa-5f0142fa09d4
Ancestors: SUnit-AdrianKuhn.114

Takes #expectedFailure into account.

As required by Mariano Martinez Peck on the mailing list. He
 uses the #expectedFailure method to dynamically create
 expected failures, rather than a fixed set of failures as is
 stored in stored history.

Hi Adrian! Thanks for trying to fix this. However, I can still reproduce the problem. I put a halt in my expectedFailures method and it is being called, here:

importExpectedFailures: aTestClass
    aTestClass new expectedFailures do: [ :each |
        self testFinished: (TestFinished new
            testClass: aTestClass;
            selector: each;
            outcome: TestFinished failures;
            yourself) ]

The iteration throught the do: seems to be ok, but I don't know why, the tests are still considered as error (red) instead of expectedFailures in green.

Is correct to put "outcome: TestFinished failures;"    ???   I guess it would be something like "outcome: TestFInished expectedFailures" but I look in the class side methods of TestFInished and I only see passed, failure and error.

Let me know if I can test something more. The versions I am using are:

SUnit-AdrianKuhn.116
SUnitGUI-AdrianKuhn.58

Cheers

Mariano