apache iframe seaside admin question

Sabine Manaa
Til now, I used a rewrite rule and each request to my amazon instance went to my app. This worked.

<VirtualHost *:80>
#set server name
ProxyPreserveHost On
ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/"
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
#rewrite incoming requests
RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8085/RKA/$1 [proxy,last]
</VirtualHost>

But in future, I will have a Homepage (with some infos for the user bla bla) with an iframe and in this iframe, my app login will run. Users will open the index.html with the iFrame in it. From there, they will enter the seaside app. Locally, this works.

But in production, with apache, I have problems.

I removed the Virtual Host and added the iframe

       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<iframe src="???????"  style="...." ...   ></iframe>

Can anyone tell me what to enter at the ??????

I tried different versions but I did not succeed.
E.g. localhost:8085/RKA
Sorry, this question seems to be stupid but I did not get it.

My app was registered with:
WAAdmin register: RKALayoutView asApplicationAt: 'RKA'

Sabine

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

Paul DeBruicker
From the clients point of view going to 'localhost:8085/RKA' means port 8085 on their machine, not your server.  I think you need to use your domain name there and probably also either http or https

On Oct 11, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Til now, I used a rewrite rule and each request to my amazon instance went to
> my app. This worked.
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> #set server name
> ProxyPreserveHost On
> ServerName localhost
> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
> Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/"
> RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> #rewrite incoming requests
> RewriteEngine On
>    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8085/RKA/$1 [proxy,last]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> But in future, I will have a Homepage (with some infos for the user bla bla)
> with an iframe and in this iframe, my app login will run. Users will open
> the index.html with the iFrame in it. From there, they will enter the
> seaside app. Locally, this works.
>
> But in production, with apache, I have problems.
>
> I removed the Virtual Host and added the iframe
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN&quot;
>       &quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd&quot;>
> <iframe src="???????"  style="...." ...   ></iframe>
>
> Can anyone tell me what to enter at the ??????
>
> I tried different versions but I did not succeed.
> E.g. localhost:8085/RKA
> Sorry, this question seems to be stupid but I did not get it.
>
> My app was registered with:
> WAAdmin register: RKALayoutView asApplicationAt: 'RKA'
>
> Sabine

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

Sabine Manaa
Hi Paul, all,

thanks, yes, this is clear now.

But unfortunately, using the domain name like this does not work either.
http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA

I can reduce the problem to the following question: how can I point to
my app at an ec2 server without a rewrite rule?
Shouldn't it be something like http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA

With the rewrite rule above, users can enter the app. But I want to
have the homepage stuff, too.
Entering www.spesenfuchs.de should go to the homepage, from there
entry in application.

If there is a need for rewrite rule, does anyone have an example for a
rewrite rule for an apache server with two "sections", one the normal
homepage stuff and the other for the application? I dont know anything
about this, just learning.

Sabine

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From the clients point of view going to 'localhost:8085/RKA' means port 8085 on their machine, not your server.  I think you need to use your domain name there and probably also either http or https
>

> On Oct 11, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Til now, I used a rewrite rule and each request to my amazon instance went to
>> my app. This worked.
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>> #set server name
>> ProxyPreserveHost On
>> ServerName localhost
>> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
>> Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/"
>> RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>> #rewrite incoming requests
>> RewriteEngine On
>>    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8085/RKA/$1 [proxy,last]
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> But in future, I will have a Homepage (with some infos for the user bla bla)
>> with an iframe and in this iframe, my app login will run. Users will open
>> the index.html with the iFrame in it. From there, they will enter the
>> seaside app. Locally, this works.
>>
>> But in production, with apache, I have problems.
>>
>> I removed the Virtual Host and added the iframe
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN&quot;
>>       &quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd&quot;>
>> <iframe src="???????"  style="...." ...   ></iframe>
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what to enter at the ??????
>>
>> I tried different versions but I did not succeed.
>> E.g. localhost:8085/RKA
>> Sorry, this question seems to be stupid but I did not get it.
>>
>> My app was registered with:
>> WAAdmin register: RKALayoutView asApplicationAt: 'RKA'
>>
>> Sabine

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

DiegoLont
Hi Sabine,

I don't expect port 8085 not to be accessible from the outside. You need to configure the app to be accessible from the outside. And to prevent the app to be accessible without the iframe, you should add some javascript code to check if the iframe is there, and if not generate a redirect. Also you want to check if you don't have the iframe opened inside an iframe. I have not done this myself, but I have seen it done, so I cannot give you the required javascript, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Diego

On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Sabine Knöfel wrote:

> Hi Paul, all,
>
> thanks, yes, this is clear now.
>
> But unfortunately, using the domain name like this does not work either.
> http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>
> I can reduce the problem to the following question: how can I point to
> my app at an ec2 server without a rewrite rule?
> Shouldn't it be something like http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>
> With the rewrite rule above, users can enter the app. But I want to
> have the homepage stuff, too.
> Entering www.spesenfuchs.de should go to the homepage, from there
> entry in application.
>
> If there is a need for rewrite rule, does anyone have an example for a
> rewrite rule for an apache server with two "sections", one the normal
> homepage stuff and the other for the application? I dont know anything
> about this, just learning.
>
> Sabine
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> From the clients point of view going to 'localhost:8085/RKA' means port 8085 on their machine, not your server.  I think you need to use your domain name there and probably also either http or https
>>

>> On Oct 11, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Til now, I used a rewrite rule and each request to my amazon instance went to
>>> my app. This worked.
>>>
>>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>> #set server name
>>> ProxyPreserveHost On
>>> ServerName localhost
>>> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
>>> Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/"
>>> RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>>> #rewrite incoming requests
>>> RewriteEngine On
>>>   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8085/RKA/$1 [proxy,last]
>>> </VirtualHost>
>>>
>>> But in future, I will have a Homepage (with some infos for the user bla bla)
>>> with an iframe and in this iframe, my app login will run. Users will open
>>> the index.html with the iFrame in it. From there, they will enter the
>>> seaside app. Locally, this works.
>>>
>>> But in production, with apache, I have problems.
>>>
>>> I removed the Virtual Host and added the iframe
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN&quot;
>>>      &quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd&quot;>
>>> <iframe src="???????"  style="...." ...   ></iframe>
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what to enter at the ??????
>>>
>>> I tried different versions but I did not succeed.
>>> E.g. localhost:8085/RKA
>>> Sorry, this question seems to be stupid but I did not get it.
>>>
>>> My app was registered with:
>>> WAAdmin register: RKALayoutView asApplicationAt: 'RKA'
>>>
>>> Sabine

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

Paul DeBruicker
Yeah thats all possible.  Seems to me like this post and the others in the 'Apache' topic on Ramon Leon's blog would help with some of your questions:

http://onsmalltalk.com/scaling-seaside-redux-enter-the-penguin

On Oct 11, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Paul, all,
>
> thanks, yes, this is clear now.
>
> But unfortunately, using the domain name like this does not work either.
> http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>
> I can reduce the problem to the following question: how can I point to
> my app at an ec2 server without a rewrite rule?
> Shouldn't it be something like http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>
> With the rewrite rule above, users can enter the app. But I want to
> have the homepage stuff, too.
> Entering www.spesenfuchs.de should go to the homepage, from there
> entry in application.
>
> If there is a need for rewrite rule, does anyone have an example for a
> rewrite rule for an apache server with two "sections", one the normal
> homepage stuff and the other for the application? I dont know anything
> about this, just learning.
>
> Sabine
>
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> From the clients point of view going to 'localhost:8085/RKA' means port 8085 on their machine, not your server.  I think you need to use your domain name there and probably also either http or https
>>

>> On Oct 11, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Til now, I used a rewrite rule and each request to my amazon instance went to
>>> my app. This worked.
>>>
>>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>> #set server name
>>> ProxyPreserveHost On
>>> ServerName localhost
>>> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
>>> Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/"
>>> RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>>> #rewrite incoming requests
>>> RewriteEngine On
>>>   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8085/RKA/$1 [proxy,last]
>>> </VirtualHost>
>>>
>>> But in future, I will have a Homepage (with some infos for the user bla bla)
>>> with an iframe and in this iframe, my app login will run. Users will open
>>> the index.html with the iFrame in it. From there, they will enter the
>>> seaside app. Locally, this works.
>>>
>>> But in production, with apache, I have problems.
>>>
>>> I removed the Virtual Host and added the iframe
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN&quot;
>>>      &quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd&quot;>
>>> <iframe src="???????"  style="...." ...   ></iframe>
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what to enter at the ??????
>>>
>>> I tried different versions but I did not succeed.
>>> E.g. localhost:8085/RKA
>>> Sorry, this question seems to be stupid but I did not get it.
>>>
>>> My app was registered with:
>>> WAAdmin register: RKALayoutView asApplicationAt: 'RKA'
>>>
>>> Sabine

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

Sabine Manaa
Hi Diego,

the ports of the ec2 instance are open.

Is there something I have to configure within seaside/pharo to be
accessible at this port? I did not know this.
I start the server adaptor with (ZnZincServerAdaptor port: 8085) start.

It is no problem for me (and the app), if the app is accessed
directly, without iFrame.

Greets
Sabine

BTW we have a smalltalkers meeting in zurich in november.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sabine,
>
> I don't expect port 8085 not to be accessible from the outside. You need to configure the app to be accessible from the outside. And to prevent the app to be accessible without the iframe, you should add some javascript code to check if the iframe is there, and if not generate a redirect. Also you want to check if you don't have the iframe opened inside an iframe. I have not done this myself, but I have seen it done, so I cannot give you the required javascript, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
>
> Diego
>
> On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Sabine Knöfel wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul, all,
>>
>> thanks, yes, this is clear now.
>>
>> But unfortunately, using the domain name like this does not work either.
>> http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>>
>> I can reduce the problem to the following question: how can I point to
>> my app at an ec2 server without a rewrite rule?
>> Shouldn't it be something like http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>>
>> With the rewrite rule above, users can enter the app. But I want to
>> have the homepage stuff, too.
>> Entering www.spesenfuchs.de should go to the homepage, from there
>> entry in application.
>>
>> If there is a need for rewrite rule, does anyone have an example for a
>> rewrite rule for an apache server with two "sections", one the normal
>> homepage stuff and the other for the application? I dont know anything
>> about this, just learning.
>>
>> Sabine
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> From the clients point of view going to 'localhost:8085/RKA' means port 8085 on their machine, not your server.  I think you need to use your domain name there and probably also either http or https

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

Sabine Manaa
Hi Paul,

thanks. I will study it!

Regards
Sabine

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah thats all possible.  Seems to me like this post and the others in the 'Apache' topic on Ramon Leon's blog would help with some of your questions:
>
> http://onsmalltalk.com/scaling-seaside-redux-enter-the-penguin
>

> On Oct 11, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul, all,
>>
>> thanks, yes, this is clear now.
>>
>> But unfortunately, using the domain name like this does not work either.
>> http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>>
>> I can reduce the problem to the following question: how can I point to
>> my app at an ec2 server without a rewrite rule?
>> Shouldn't it be something like http://www.spesenfuchs.de:8085/RKA
>>
>> With the rewrite rule above, users can enter the app. But I want to
>> have the homepage stuff, too.
>> Entering www.spesenfuchs.de should go to the homepage, from there
>> entry in application.
>>
>> If there is a need for rewrite rule, does anyone have an example for a
>> rewrite rule for an apache server with two "sections", one the normal
>> homepage stuff and the other for the application? I dont know anything
>> about this, just learning.
>>
>> Sabine
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> From the clients point of view going to 'localhost:8085/RKA' means port 8085 on their machine, not your server.  I think you need to use your domain name there and probably also either http or https

Re: apache iframe seaside admin question

Sabine Manaa
Great, I wrote a first version of rewrite rule, it works and was not
so complicated :-)

RewriteRule ^(.*)RKA(.*)$ http://localhost:8085/RKA/$1 [proxy,last]

RKA is the name of my app, so it is always in the url.
So I have only to care that there is no RKA in the homepage section ;-)

Thanks!
Sabine