audio query

Kenneth Sherwood
As a writer and non-programmer (high school Fortran in 1986) who has used out-of-the-box tools such as flash and dreamweaver, I've just begun teaching myself Squeak--which was recommended by a hypertext writer/aquaintence Jim Rosenberg.  My interest is in building interactive text / audio projects and live-art-performance tools in a user-defined workspace apart from the constraints/habits associated with Flash and Director, and without the platform dependence and proprietary concerns.  I've gathered what seem to be the "classic" beginner texts: Squeak: Learn Programming with Robots, Squeak: A Quick Trip to ObjectLand, and Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Application (Guzdial).
Can anyone speak to the multimedia potential of Squeak and/or its likely development trajectory, especially with regard to audio? The midi tools and synthesis look promising, but as I've mostly worked with recorded voices, I was worried to see no apparent support for compressed audio. Most of my searching in the news-groups has turned up dead-ends, like the tool called "Siren" that is now written for a different smalltalk dialect. I see the Guzdial now seems to be publishing books on Python and Java as "multimedia" languages, and I sense much development work must be going into Croquet.

So in short, can someone with experience using squeak in a multi-media presentational format, especially audio, reassure me that what will be the somewhat steeper learning curve (for a self-taught, non-programmer) will pay off?

Many thanks...
Ken

__________________________________
Kenneth Sherwood, PhD
Associate Professor of English
Graduate Program in Literature and Criticism
110 Leonard Hall
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Indiana, PA 15705

www.sherwoodweb.org

Re: audio query

Karl Ramberg
Kenneth Sherwood wrote:

> As a writer and non-programmer (high school Fortran in 1986) who has
> used out-of-the-box tools such as flash and dreamweaver, I've just
> begun teaching myself Squeak--which was recommended by a hypertext
> writer/aquaintence Jim Rosenberg.  My interest is in building
> interactive text / audio projects and live-art-performance tools in a
> user-defined workspace apart from the constraints/habits associated
> with Flash and Director, and without the platform dependence and
> proprietary concerns.  I've gathered what seem to be the "classic"
> beginner texts: Squeak: Learn Programming with Robots, Squeak: A Quick
> Trip to ObjectLand, and Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia
> Application (Guzdial).
> Can anyone speak to the multimedia potential of Squeak and/or its
> likely development trajectory, especially with regard to audio? The
> midi tools and synthesis look promising, but as I've mostly worked
> with recorded voices, I was worried to see no apparent support for
> compressed audio. Most of my searching in the news-groups has turned
> up dead-ends, like the tool called "Siren" that is now written for a
> different smalltalk dialect. I see the Guzdial now seems to be
> publishing books on Python and Java as "multimedia" languages, and I
> sense much development work must be going into Croquet.
>
> So in short, can someone with experience using squeak in a multi-media
> presentational format, especially audio, reassure me that what will be
> the somewhat steeper learning curve (for a self-taught,
> non-programmer) will pay off?
In the etoy version of Squeak we now have Ogg and Speex compression for
audio files:

http://etoys.laptop.org

You may also find this project interesting

http://www.zogotounga.net/GM/eGM0.html

Karl