basic functionalities not functioning?

monica-18
Hi,

I've recently installed Croquet and have been going through tutorials trying to
learn my way around. I've been having a few problems and don't know enough yet
to know if I'm doing something wrong, if my installation is wrong, or if my
machine isn't high tech enough.
The tutorials mentioned on the opencroquet.org site and in the Croquet Readme
file are broken links:
- from the README:
http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/updateToMotion.mov
- from the tutorials page(http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Tutorials): all the
links to the hedgehog server

I've been using the tutorial from http://www.dmu.com/crb/ but have been having
a few problems.

I'm working on a single WinXp machine.
1) when i would connect the Movie Island with the simple island things would
usually crash before I could get very far. The background rendering would go a
bit haywire when avatar2 would cross into island1. A mouse over from one island
to the other would freeze the system. I installed the OpenAl driver and that
seemed to fix things for the background rendering but it still freezes. It
doesn't freeze systematically so I can't list any steps yet to reproduce it.
Why would the OpenAl driver have helped. Isn't that for audio needs?

2) if i open a 2D project in an island, the avatar in that island can interact
with the project, so far so good. but when i connect in another island and i'm
at the stage where the portal to island1 shows on island2, i can angle the
portal to see my2Dproject portal on island1. There is nothing rendered though
on the my2Dproject although I can see it properly in island1. If avatar2 goes
into island1 he can't do anything to the my2Dproject.
In theory you can manipulate all the objects present in the island you're in
right regardless if it's yours? Are you supposed to be able to manipulate
objects that you have sight of through portals? In my case, I can only
manipulate the location, size and rotation of an object from another island but
not the content.

I'm also looking for examples, and not just descriptions, of running croquet
applications. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Monica

Re: basic functionalities not functioning?

Peter Moore-5
Hi Monica,

I've fixed the links to the movies. Please try them again.

Peter Moore
University Technology Development Center
University of Minnesota
[hidden email]

On May 24, 2007, at 5:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed Croquet and have been going through
> tutorials trying to
> learn my way around. I've been having a few problems and don't know
> enough yet
> to know if I'm doing something wrong, if my installation is wrong,
> or if my
> machine isn't high tech enough.
> The tutorials mentioned on the opencroquet.org site and in the
> Croquet Readme
> file are broken links:
> - from the README:
> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/
> updateToMotion.mov
> - from the tutorials page(http://opencroquet.org/index.php/
> Tutorials): all the
> links to the hedgehog server
>
> I've been using the tutorial from http://www.dmu.com/crb/ but have
> been having
> a few problems.
>
> I'm working on a single WinXp machine.
> 1) when i would connect the Movie Island with the simple island
> things would
> usually crash before I could get very far. The background rendering
> would go a
> bit haywire when avatar2 would cross into island1. A mouse over
> from one island
> to the other would freeze the system. I installed the OpenAl driver
> and that
> seemed to fix things for the background rendering but it still
> freezes. It
> doesn't freeze systematically so I can't list any steps yet to
> reproduce it.
> Why would the OpenAl driver have helped. Isn't that for audio needs?
>
> 2) if i open a 2D project in an island, the avatar in that island
> can interact
> with the project, so far so good. but when i connect in another
> island and i'm
> at the stage where the portal to island1 shows on island2, i can
> angle the
> portal to see my2Dproject portal on island1. There is nothing
> rendered though
> on the my2Dproject although I can see it properly in island1. If
> avatar2 goes
> into island1 he can't do anything to the my2Dproject.
> In theory you can manipulate all the objects present in the island
> you're in
> right regardless if it's yours? Are you supposed to be able to
> manipulate
> objects that you have sight of through portals? In my case, I can only
> manipulate the location, size and rotation of an object from
> another island but
> not the content.
>
> I'm also looking for examples, and not just descriptions, of
> running croquet
> applications. Any pointers?
>
> Thanks,
> Monica

Re: basic functionalities not functioning?

Marcus Lunzenauer-3
The link to the Flash demo of the CCPainter package
(http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/ccpainter1.htm)
is broken too.

Regards, Marcus

Peter Moore wrote:

> [...]
>> though
>> on the my2Dproject although I can see it properly in island1. If
>> avatar2 goes
>> into island1 he can't do anything to the my2Dproject.
>> In theory you can manipulate all the objects present in the island
>> you're in
>> right regardless if it's yours? Are you supposed to be able to manipulate
>> objects that you have sight of through portals? In my case, I can only
>> manipulate the location, size and rotation of an object from another
>> island but
>> not the content.
>>
>> I'm also looking for examples, and not just descriptions, of running
>> croquet
>> applications. Any pointers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Monica

Re: basic functionalities not functioning?

Missed that one. Should be there now. Thanks.

-Peter