binary configuration to make finding VM easier?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

binary configuration to make finding VM easier?

timrowledge

Is there anything that can be done to make finding a VM on the bintray site easier? I've just been looking to see where I can grab the latest successful build of a squeak cog 32 bit linux ARM vm and ... that really isn't fun at all. Surely there is some way to categorise builds, or at least have a list of the latest version of each option, or sometihng like that?

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Dreams are free, but you get soaked on the connect time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: binary configuration to make finding VM easier?

marcel.taeumel

Hi Tim.

Provided that the CI should build all targets in each run, the latest (whatever) build would be here:

2. In the right-hand versions table, click the topmost entry, e.g. "202009280303"
3. Then click on the green "Files" label (i.e., the one right of "Statistics").
4. Look for your VM flavor (e.g., squeak.cog.spur_osBits_timestamp) and download.

If step 4 fails you, repeat from step 2 with another version tag. This should, however, only be the case during occasional CI hiccups.

For release VMs, the GitHub releases page will always have all flavors for the latest release available:

Best,
Marcel

Am 27.09.2020 21:20:42 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

Is there anything that can be done to make finding a VM on the bintray site easier? I've just been looking to see where I can grab the latest successful build of a squeak cog 32 bit linux ARM vm and ... that really isn't fun at all. Surely there is some way to categorise builds, or at least have a list of the latest version of each option, or sometihng like that?

tim
--

Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

Hi Tim,

The OSVM readme has a "bleeding edge" download button which links to:

As Marcel mentioned, you should see binaries for all build targets (if they built successfully).

Fabio

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:10 AM Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim.

Provided that the CI should build all targets in each run, the latest (whatever) build would be here:

2. In the right-hand versions table, click the topmost entry, e.g. "202009280303"
3. Then click on the green "Files" label (i.e., the one right of "Statistics").
4. Look for your VM flavor (e.g., squeak.cog.spur_osBits_timestamp) and download.

If step 4 fails you, repeat from step 2 with another version tag. This should, however, only be the case during occasional CI hiccups.

For release VMs, the GitHub releases page will always have all flavors for the latest release available:

Best,
Marcel

Am 27.09.2020 21:20:42 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

tim
--

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by marcel.taeumel

Hi Marcel, Fabio -

Yup, that's the set of pages I've been using, and the cause of my irritation. What we get is that list of build (or build attempts more correctly) and the results of any successful builds. What we *don't* get is any list of the latest successful build for all the options.

So for example when I was looking at the 202009262121 entry, it has barely any listed completed builds. That's a perfectly good way to show what happened on that particular run BUT offers no help if one is wanting the most recent squeak.cog.cpur ARM32 linux build.

Somewhere, somehow, I'd love to have a way of seeing a list of the most recent successful builds for each platform/option, even if it turns out that the one I want is six months old - indeed, having a list like that seems like a pretty useful way to have an at-a-glance view of problems. I was hoping that there is a provided bintray page to show that sort of thing. If it isn't providable by bintray perhaps someone knows of clever tricks to make such a list visible on our own download page?

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: IO: Illogical Or

Reply | Threaded
|

fniephaus

Hi Tim, ...

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 9:24 pm, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Marcel, Fabio -

Yup, that's the set of pages I've been using, and the cause of my irritation. What we get is that list of build (or build attempts more correctly) and the results of any successful builds. What we *don't* get is any list of the latest successful build for all the options.

So for example when I was looking at the 202009262121 entry, it has barely any listed completed builds. That's a perfectly good way to show what happened on that particular run BUT offers no help if one is wanting the most recent squeak.cog.cpur ARM32 linux build.

Somewhere, somehow, I'd love to have a way of seeing a list of the most recent successful builds for each platform/option, even if it turns out that the one I want is six months old - indeed, having a list like that seems like a pretty useful way to have an at-a-glance view of problems. I was hoping that there is a provided bintray page to show that sort of thing. If it isn't providable by bintray perhaps someone knows of clever tricks to make such a list visible on our own download page?

I guess we could use Bintray's API to find the files you are looking for, but I do believe this would solve the wrong problem. I consider everything we have on Bintray temporary, the only stable VM binaries are on Github attached to the release tags. If a binary in a Bintray version is missing, the corresponding build failed. That is something that should not happen. So...

- If the build is flaky, we must invest in making it more robust.
- If the build failed due to an error, it must be fixed immediately.
- If we can no longer support the build, we must drop it.
- If you need newer VMs than what we have officially released on Github, we must do VM releases more often.

Fabio

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: IO: Illogical Or