#bleedingEdge baseline and stable version

#bleedingEdge baseline and stable version

abergel
Hi!

I am just wondering whether it makes sense to have stable version that imports a bleedingEdge.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: #bleedingEdge baseline and stable version

Dale Henrichs
On 04/18/2011 12:54 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am just wondering whether it makes sense to have stable version that imports a bleedingEdge.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Need more detailed example of what you are thinking ... sample config
will give me enough info answer the question...

Dale

Re: #bleedingEdge baseline and stable version

abergel
> Need more detailed example of what you are thinking ... sample config will give me enough info answer the question...

I am just wondering whether what I am seeing in the browser is coherent.
When I see MetacelloBrowser in the browser, 1.59.2-baseline is marked as #bleedingEdge and 1.59.2 is stable.

On 04/18/2011 02:58 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>> Need more detailed example of what you are thinking ... sample config will give me enough info answer the question...
>

> I am just wondering whether what I am seeing in the browser is coherent.
> When I see MetacelloBrowser in the browser, 1.59.2-baseline is marked as #bleedingEdge and 1.59.2 is stable.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

The #bleedingEdge symbolic version identifies the "latest baseline
version". Here's the description of #bleedingEdge from my blog post:

   A symbolic version that specifies the latest mcz files and project
   versions. By default the #bleedingEdge symbolic version is defined as
   the latest baseline version available. The default specification for
   #bleedingEdge is defined for all projects. The #bleedingEdge version
   is primarily for developers who know what they are doing. There are
   no guarantees that the #bleedingEdge version will even load, let
   alone function correctly.

When you load a baseline version, the latest mcz files for each package
are loaded and the #bleedingEdge symbolic version is telling you _if you
want to load the latest mcz files on for this project, use this version_
... it may change depending upon which platform you are on ...

For most users, the baseline information isn't relevant and I have been
tempted off and on to completely hide the baseline versions ...

I haven't done that because I know that the Moose project uses baselines
more than literal versions for development ... I _am_ interested in
feedback from Doru and company about that things might be done
differently in the MetacelloBrowser to better support the Moose project...

There are a number of different options possible, but at the moment I'm
waiting for feedback from other users to find out what types of changes
make the most sense ...

Dale

Re: #bleedingEdge baseline and stable version

abergel
> The #bleedingEdge symbolic version identifies the "latest baseline version". Here's the description of #bleedingEdge from my blog post:
>
>  A symbolic version that specifies the latest mcz files and project
>  versions. By default the #bleedingEdge symbolic version is defined as
>  the latest baseline version available. The default specification for
>  #bleedingEdge is defined for all projects. The #bleedingEdge version
>  is primarily for developers who know what they are doing. There are
>  no guarantees that the #bleedingEdge version will even load, let
>  alone function correctly.
>
> When you load a baseline version, the latest mcz files for each package are loaded and the #bleedingEdge symbolic version is telling you _if you want to load the latest mcz files on for this project, use this version_ ... it may change depending upon which platform you are on ...
>
> For most users, the baseline information isn't relevant and I have been tempted off and on to completely hide the baseline versions ...

Maybe the versions can appear above the baselines on the right hand side.

Alexandre