blog_11.html

Dale Henrichs
I've attached the html for my latest version of blog post ...
incorporated feedback from Miguel and Mariano, restructured things again
added more walkthrough content to cover post-release steps... added
content to section 2.2 and 2.3

need more content in the post-release steps as those sections are mainly
outlines ...

If all goes well I should be able to finish up tomorrow (I would think)...

Dale

blog_11.html (33K) Download Attachment

Re: blog_11.html

Miguel Cobá
I like the form the walkthrough is taking. I think it is getting in form
to be used as reference for creating new configurations for new users.

Only the last part about the new baseline created I know that is meant
to be handled by the tools, because for the end user is more work to
write (and remember) all that code to create a new baseline that do the
copy & modify required to add a single extra package dependency. What is
your vision for this part of the metacello toolbox? That the tool ask
for a new package dependency (or many) and generate a script similar to
the shown in the walkthrough?

But I like it. I wouldn't wait too much to publish it. Maybe subsecuent
posts could go deeper with details about internals of metacello, special
cases and posible tools' use cases.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: blog_11.html

Dale Henrichs
On 01/14/2011 09:03 AM, Miguel Cobá wrote:
> I like the form the walkthrough is taking. I think it is getting in form
> to be used as reference for creating new configurations for new users.

Yes I agree. I'm glad that you pushed me in the right direction!

> Only the last part about the new baseline created I know that is meant
> to be handled by the tools, because for the end user is more work to
> write (and remember) all that code to create a new baseline that do the
> copy&  modify required to add a single extra package dependency. What is
> your vision for this part of the metacello toolbox? That the tool ask
> for a new package dependency (or many) and generate a script similar to
> the shown in the walkthrough?

You've hit the nail on the head ... the instance-side methods are where
the real work is done in the toolbox, but there are too many moving
parts for using directly in scripts ... As I put that code together, I
realized that I would be able to create a higher-level class-side method
that could be used in a script or by a tool ... I plan to spend a little
bit of time today extending the class-side toolbox api to make this
operation a little easier (and anticipate a couple more use cases ...
that I won't document in this post).

My vision is that 99.9% of the tools and scripts be written using
class-side toolbox methods for manipulating the configuration
specifications, extending the toolbox support as needed.

> But I like it. I wouldn't wait too much to publish it. Maybe subsecuent
> posts could go deeper with details about internals of metacello, special
> cases and posible tools' use cases.

I agree. I've already got the first 'Inside Metacello' post planned and
after getting this post out and the version released, I can break those
posts up into bite sized pieces.

As I said, I will extend the api a bit and fill in the missing content
in a few places and unless I run into something nasty or someone brings
up a point that needs more emphasis I'll aim for releasing today or
tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dale