blog post preview

Dale Henrichs
Well, I'm still working on getting the blog post written and I'm assuming that I will finish tomorrow, but before publishing the post, I thought it would be prudent to get some feedback on the post...I've attached an html file to this message with the contents.

I'm pretty much finished with the first section on Symbolic Versions (including Overview, New Platform Version Attributes, Specifying Symbolic Versions, Specifying Default Symbolic Versions, and Standard Symbolic Versions). I'm still working on the rest of the post ...

Once I get the blog post written and released, I hope that portions are used for the Metacello chapter and other parts will be extracted to the Metacello wiki ....

I wouldn't mind feedback on the new Help Browser content and ProfStef tutorials (load 1.0-beta.28 to get at that content)...but the code is easier to fix than a blog post:)

Dale

blog_6.html (22K) Download Attachment

Re: blog post preview

Miguel Cobá
Hi Dale,

finally got some time to update the Magma Configuration and am catching
up with all the mails about the symbolic versions so far. Now this post
is a lot more useful because it is more focused.

One thing I think would ease the adoption of this is in the post to omit
references to the old behavior of metacello. Why? Because distracts, at
least for me. While reading this I tried to compare the old and the new
way of Metacello. So instead of "learning" the symbolic version I fought
with the old knowledge trying to keep the mind clear on the new
features.

Maybe a tutorial approach would be better, just like if this were brand
new technology, where the correct form of using it is the one described.
Something like:

- Suppose you have a new project X conformed by 30 packages pack1,
pack2,... pack30
- Suppose also that it depends on two other projects (version stable of
ProjA and bleedingEdge of ProjB)
- Suppose that you want to support Pharo1.0, Pharo1.1, Squeak4.1

Then you'll do something like:

- Start with Pharo1.0 and Squeak4.1. Create a initial baseline using the
MetacelloToolBox by doing:
- Create a version with MetacelloToolBox with:
- Update package versions.
- Save config on disk
- Test on Pharo1.0 and Squeak4.1
- Everything ok, then lets add a new platform, Gemstone.
- But has a distinct package dependency structure, so you need a new
baseline, create it with:
- Test that the same config works on the three platforms.
- Everything ok, good, now lets add a different version of the same
plaform, e.g. Pharo 1.1
- Add a #stable symbolic version
- Test that everything works correctly on Pharo1.0, Pharo1.1, Gemstone
and Squeak4.1
- Repeat as needed.

:)
What do you think, for reference the info in the post is good, but for
trying to apply to new configuration (or to new users) that is bit dense
in information and sparse on hands-on.

Anyway, I like a lot the symbolic versions thing. Thanks for the hard
work.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: blog post preview

Dale Henrichs
Miguel,

I appreciate the feedback ...

I am conflicted between writing the "dense information" post for
covering all of the details and the "practical information" post  and
the "this is why" post...

I have planned on adding practical information to the post and your
feedback has helped me to focus my thoughts and approach ...

I will also take your advice and cut down on the references to the old
metacello (or at least try:).

I can see that I have at least a couple of more days work, but in the
end I think a good introduction at this point is worth the effort ...

Thanks again!

Dale

On 01/11/2011 10:30 AM, Miguel Cobá wrote:

> [...]
>> Well, I'm still working on getting the blog post written and I'm
>> assuming that I will finish tomorrow, but before publishing the post,
>> I thought it would be prudent to get some feedback on the post...I've
>> attached an html file to this message with the contents.
>>

>> I'm pretty much finished with the first section on Symbolic Versions
>> (including Overview, New Platform Version Attributes, Specifying
>> Symbolic Versions, Specifying Default Symbolic Versions, and Standard
>> Symbolic Versions). I'm still working on the rest of the post ...
>>

>> Once I get the blog post written and released, I hope that portions
>> are used for the Metacello chapter and other parts will be extracted
>> to the Metacello wiki ....
>>

>> I wouldn't mind feedback on the new Help Browser content and ProfStef
>> tutorials (load 1.0-beta.28 to get at that content)...but the code is

Re: blog post preview

stephane ducasse-2

On Jan 11, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Miguel,
>
> I appreciate the feedback ...
>
> I am conflicted between writing the "dense information" post for covering all of the details and the "practical information" post  and the "this is why" post...
>
> I have planned on adding practical information to the post and your feedback has helped me to focus my thoughts and approach ...

Dale

let us do it like that:
Write a practical blog and after we can write in the metacello chapter all the rest.
Now that PBE2 is published on github you could directly published in it and it would be great.

> [...]
>>> Well, I'm still working on getting the blog post written and I'm
>>> assuming that I will finish tomorrow, but before publishing the post,
>>> I thought it would be prudent to get some feedback on the post...I've
>>> attached an html file to this message with the contents.
>>>

>>> I'm pretty much finished with the first section on Symbolic Versions
>>> (including Overview, New Platform Version Attributes, Specifying
>>> Symbolic Versions, Specifying Default Symbolic Versions, and Standard
>>> Symbolic Versions). I'm still working on the rest of the post ...
>>>

>>> Once I get the blog post written and released, I hope that portions
>>> are used for the Metacello chapter and other parts will be extracted
>>> to the Metacello wiki ....
>>>

>>> I wouldn't mind feedback on the new Help Browser content and ProfStef
>>> tutorials (load 1.0-beta.28 to get at that content)...but the code is

Re: blog post preview

stephane ducasse-2
I will give feedback
I was in phd defenses and other admin.

Stef

On Jan 11, 2011, at 1:16 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Well, I'm still working on getting the blog post written and I'm assuming that I will finish tomorrow, but before publishing the post, I thought it would be prudent to get some feedback on the post...I've attached an html file to this message with the contents.
>
> I'm pretty much finished with the first section on Symbolic Versions (including Overview, New Platform Version Attributes, Specifying Symbolic Versions, Specifying Default Symbolic Versions, and Standard Symbolic Versions). I'm still working on the rest of the post ...
>
> Once I get the blog post written and released, I hope that portions are used for the Metacello chapter and other parts will be extracted to the Metacello wiki ....
>
> I wouldn't mind feedback on the new Help Browser content and ProfStef tutorials (load 1.0-beta.28 to get at that content)...but the code is easier to fix than a blog post:)
>
> Dale
> <blog_6.html>

Re: blog post preview

Dale Henrichs
On 01/11/2011 12:53 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Miguel,
>>
>> I appreciate the feedback ...
>>
>> I am conflicted between writing the "dense information" post for covering all of the details and the "practical information" post  and the "this is why" post...
>>
>> I have planned on adding practical information to the post and your feedback has helped me to focus my thoughts and approach ...
>
> Dale
>
> let us do it like that:
> Write a practical blog and after we can write in the metacello chapter all the rest.
> Now that PBE2 is published on github you could directly published in it and it would be great.

Stef,

Sounds like a plan....I'll post the latest version of the blog post this
evening for more review (I've pushed the "dense information" to the end
of the blog post for now as I write the practical bits ...

Dale

Re: blog post preview

stephane ducasse-2
excellent!

Stef

On Jan 11, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 01/11/2011 12:53 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>
>>> Miguel,
>>>
>>> I appreciate the feedback ...
>>>
>>> I am conflicted between writing the "dense information" post for covering all of the details and the "practical information" post  and the "this is why" post...
>>>
>>> I have planned on adding practical information to the post and your feedback has helped me to focus my thoughts and approach ...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> let us do it like that:
>> Write a practical blog and after we can write in the metacello chapter all the rest.
>> Now that PBE2 is published on github you could directly published in it and it would be great.
>>

> Stef,
>
> Sounds like a plan....I'll post the latest version of the blog post this evening for more review (I've pushed the "dense information" to the end of the blog post for now as I write the practical bits ...
>
> Dale

Re: blog post preview

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 11-01-2011 a las 13:26 -0800, Dale Henrichs escribió:

> On 01/11/2011 12:53 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 11, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
> >
> >> Miguel,
> >>
> >> I appreciate the feedback ...
> >>
> >> I am conflicted between writing the "dense information" post for covering all of the details and the "practical information" post  and the "this is why" post...
> >>
> >> I have planned on adding practical information to the post and your feedback has helped me to focus my thoughts and approach ...
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > let us do it like that:
> > Write a practical blog and after we can write in the metacello chapter all the rest.
> > Now that PBE2 is published on github you could directly published in it and it would be great.
> >

> Stef,
>
> Sounds like a plan....I'll post the latest version of the blog post this
> evening for more review (I've pushed the "dense information" to the end
> of the blog post for now as I write the practical bits ...
>
> Dale

good!

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

blog post preview (part 2)

Dale Henrichs
Attached latest version of blog post:

   - restructured and rewrote a couple of symbolic version
     sectuibs with gory details moved to end.
   - worked on Script and Tool Support section
   - started work on Walk Through (or tutorial)

Dale

blog_8.html (35K) Download Attachment