browserPluginReturnIfNeeded

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi All,

    is browserPluginReturnIfNeeded needed on anything other than Mac OS classic?  I'd like to nuke it in the Cog VM as it complicates.  Talking with Andreas he says that now Squeak browser plugins run in a separate thread and project a window into the browser, which is almost what I did with my first VW browser plugin until John Baker found one can run in a completely different process and still project a window into the browser :)  So it would seem that browserPluginReturnIfNeeded is indeed obsolete.  Can anyone confirm or contradict?

TIA

Eliot

Re: browserPluginReturnIfNeeded

johnmci

There is a vestige in the os-x vm for browser support, but it appears
it was replaced by some logic that considers if the VM was a sub
process of the parent process (the browser) to determine if the
browser has gone away.  So it's not needed anymore, in fact the flag I
set is never actually referenced anywhere anymore.

I had exploited it in the iPhone VM to check for memory leakage by
terminating the VM process, but again not needed.

I'm sure I saw it used in the Hydra VM to exit each child VM process
to the main dispatcher to deal with moving items between VMs, but I'm
sure that
logic has changed.

--
=
=

Re: browserPluginReturnIfNeeded

Bert Freudenberg

On 09.04.2009, at 02:00, Eliot Miranda wrote:
 Talking with Andreas he says that now Squeak browser plugins run in a separate thread and project a window into the browser, which is almost what I did with my first VW browser plugin until John Baker found one can run in a completely different process and still project a window into the browser :)

The X11 VM does in fact run in a separate process, reparenting its window into the browser's. I'm pretty sure it's the same on the other platforms, too, so probably Andreas meant "process" when he said "thread".

- Bert -

Re: browserPluginReturnIfNeeded

Igor Stasenko

2009/4/9 John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>:

> There is a vestige in the os-x vm for browser support, but it appears it was
> replaced by some logic that considers if the VM was a sub process of the
> parent process (the browser) to determine if the browser has gone away.  So
> it's not needed anymore, in fact the flag I set is never actually referenced
> anywhere anymore.
>
> I had exploited it in the iPhone VM to check for memory leakage by
> terminating the VM process, but again not needed.
>
> I'm sure I saw it used in the Hydra VM to exit each child VM process to the
> main dispatcher to deal with moving items between VMs, but I'm sure that
> logic has changed.

I added own macro returnFromInterpret, which defined simply as
#define returnFromInterpret return

this macro allows to write a simple slang code to check for interrupts
in interpret loop and then return from function for handling them (in
hydra, interrupts are checked outside the interpret() loop).
My intent was to make interpret() reentrant, and make sure that any
code, which could involve manipulating interpreter state (when
handling interrupts) doesn't need to care about different nuances of C
stack, when interrupt handling function are called from interpt().

P.S. +1 for nuking browserPluginReturnIfNeeded

> On 8-Apr-09, at 5:00 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    is browserPluginReturnIfNeeded needed on anything other than Mac OS
>> classic?  I'd like to nuke it in the Cog VM as it complicates.  Talking with
>> Andreas he says that now Squeak browser plugins run in a separate thread and
>> project a window into the browser, which is almost what I did with my first
>> VW browser plugin until John Baker found one can run in a completely
>> different process and still project a window into the browser :)  So it
>> would seem that browserPluginReturnIfNeeded is indeed obsolete.  Can anyone
>> confirm or contradict?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Eliot

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>