builderCI + Pharo 2.0

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Dale,

        Can you tell if this failure is due to an outdated VM in the builderCI
'oneclick' for linux, due to the fact that OSProcess doesn't yet work on
Pharo 2.0, or the file system specific changes in Pharo 2.0?  No rush
getting back to me.

https://travis-ci.org/pdebruic/ConfigurationOfSeaside30/jobs/3183579

Thanks

Paul

Re: builderCI + Pharo 2.0

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

There are a couple of gotchas with using Pharo2.0 and builderci[1] ....

I had Cami look at a problem I had with Pharo2.0 and builderCI at ESUG[2] and he said that start Pharo2.0 in the background was mistake number 1. I didn't have time to follow up (and apparently there were other Pharo2.0-related problems) ...

One of the big complaints I have about the stdout and debug log for both Squeak and Pharo is that someone decided that it would be a good idea to truncate strings... As a result, the potentially very useful information about the EXACT path causing the error is truncated rendering the whole log useless!

128  FileHandle>>streamError
129   Receiver: a FileHandle
130   Arguments and temporary variables:
131  <<error during printing>
132   Receiver's instance variables:
133   reference: file:///home/travis/pdebruic-builderCI-9a3e571/builds/travisCI/Travi...etc...
134   writable: false
135   id: nil

Ah well...the upshot is that for Pharo2.0 and builderci, some work has to be done on a local machine to get the scripts functioning correctly again ...

Of course once you get Pharo2.0 playing well with builderci, we'll have to address the problem of getting the Metacello Preview working in 2.0[3] and the OSProcess is currently the big sticking point...

A week or so ago, Max Leske mentioned[4] that he's working on a NativeBoost library that will provide shell/stdin/stderr support which is what is needed to make the Metacello Preview to work or at least make it possible for me to start testing the Metacello Preview on Pharo 2.0 ....

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/issues/12
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/issues/12#issuecomment-8219335
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues/65#issuecomment-8870850
[4] http://forum.world.st/OSProcess-in-Pharo-2-0-tp4654586p4655232.html
| Can you tell if this failure is due to an outdated VM in the
| builderCI
| 'oneclick' for linux, due to the fact that OSProcess doesn't yet work
| on
| Pharo 2.0, or the file system specific changes in Pharo 2.0?  No rush
| getting back to me.
|

| https://travis-ci.org/pdebruic/ConfigurationOfSeaside30/jobs/3183579
|

| Thanks
|
| Paul

Re: builderCI + Pharo 2.0

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-11-26, at 14:59, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> There are a couple of gotchas with using Pharo2.0 and builderci[1] ....
>
> I had Cami look at a problem I had with Pharo2.0 and builderCI at ESUG[2] and he said that start Pharo2.0 in the background was mistake number 1. I didn't have time to follow up (and apparently there were other Pharo2.0-related problems) ...
>
> One of the big complaints I have about the stdout and debug log for both Squeak and Pharo is that someone decided that it would be a good idea to truncate strings... As a result, the potentially very useful information about the EXACT path causing the error is truncated rendering the whole log useless!
>
> 128  FileHandle>>streamError
> 129   Receiver: a FileHandle
> 130   Arguments and temporary variables:
> 131  <<error during printing>
> 132   Receiver's instance variables:
> 133   reference: file:///home/travis/pdebruic-builderCI-9a3e571/builds/travisCI/Travi...etc...
> 134   writable: false
> 135   id: nil
>

> Ah well...the upshot is that for Pharo2.0 and builderci, some work has to be done on a local machine to get the scripts functioning correctly again ...
>
> Of course once you get Pharo2.0 playing well with builderci, we'll have to address the problem of getting the Metacello Preview working in 2.0[3] and the OSProcess is currently the big sticking point...

I have OSProcess working in 2.0 without too much effort. Simply loading my separate Filesystem legacy package makes OSProcess load without problems.

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dh83/fisleg/packages/FileSystem-Legacy

So I think you would be free to go. BTW, I don't remember what you needed OSProcess for?
If you look I change the way to build images significantly in 2.0. A normal Jenkins Job
now looks like this:

# ==========================================================================
# load and install the latest VM
curl http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/ci/ciPharo20Cog.sh | bash

./vm.sh Pharo.image save $JOB_NAME --delete-old

## =========================================================================
REPO=http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/ci
./vm.sh $JOB_NAME.image config $REPO ConfigurationOfCI  --install=development --group=full
./vm.sh $JOB_NAME.image test --junit-xml-output "CI-.*"

# ==========================================================================

zip -r $JOB_NAME.zip $JOB_NAME.image $JOB_NAME.changes
# ==========================================================================

BTW: in this project I already require OSProcess in 2.0 to spawn a second image, works perfectly ;)

> A week or so ago, Max Leske mentioned[4] that he's working on a NativeBoost library that will provide shell/stdin/stderr support which is what is needed to make the Metacello Preview to work or at least make it possible for me to start testing the Metacello Preview on Pharo 2.0 ....

yeah, I think that will be the better and cleaner way to go, but that will take some time as well.
So for now 2.0 + FileSystem-Legacy + OSProcess would do the job!

> Dale
>
> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/issues/12
> [2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/issues/12#issuecomment-8219335
> [3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues/65#issuecomment-8870850
> [4] http://forum.world.st/OSProcess-in-Pharo-2-0-tp4654586p4655232.html

Re: builderCI + Pharo 2.0

Dale Henrichs
Cami,

I am very excited to see OSProcess finally return to Pharo2.0....

I was using OSProcess to a) download zipped repo contents from github using https (I know that zodiac supports https, but it is a real circus to get a vm that works with ssh while curl was simple) and b) to directly unzip the zipped files (I know that there is internal zip support but unzipping at os level is an order of magnitude faster) ...

Using OSProcess was the best alternative for use with Squeak, Pharo and GemStone until OSProcess stopped working in Pharo2.0....

The changes to how the Pharo2.0 processes behave is a problem when trying to integrate Pharo2.0 into travis-ci support via buildCI[1].

For all of my git-based work I use travis-ci for testing my individual checkins and validating pull requests, so getting all of the pieces working will take a bit of work still, but now at least I can get started ...

Thanks man!

> [...]

| #
| ==========================================================================
|
| zip -r $JOB_NAME.zip $JOB_NAME.image $JOB_NAME.changes
| #
| ==========================================================================
|
| BTW: in this project I already require OSProcess in 2.0 to spawn a
| second image, works perfectly ;)
|

| > A week or so ago, Max Leske mentioned[4] that he's working on a
| > NativeBoost library that will provide shell/stdin/stderr support
| > which is what is needed to make the Metacello Preview to work or
| > at least make it possible for me to start testing the Metacello
| > Preview on Pharo 2.0 ....
|
| yeah, I think that will be the better and cleaner way to go, but that
| will take some time as well.
| So for now 2.0 + FileSystem-Legacy + OSProcess would do the job!

| > |
| > | Hi Dale,
| > |
| > | Can you tell if this failure is due to an outdated VM in the
| > | builderCI
| > | 'oneclick' for linux, due to the fact that OSProcess doesn't yet
| > | work
| > | on
| > | Pharo 2.0, or the file system specific changes in Pharo 2.0?  No
| > | rush
| > | getting back to me.
| > |
| > |