builderCI questions

Paul DeBruicker
Hi-

I'm putting Seaside 3.1 on travis ci.  With the current builderCI setup
is there a way to specify which Test groups to load and run from the
.travis.yml file?  Up to now I've just been making a branch per group
but I know I'm going to want to change the ConfigurationOfSeaside30 file
and don't want to have to update every branch.

I'd prefer to not have to keep a branch for each of the following
Seaside test groups:

#('Tests')
#('Development Tests')
#('JQueryUI Tests')
#('Kom Tests')
#('Development Tests' 'JQueryUI Tests' 'Kom Tests' 'Omnibrowser')
.......etc..

Instead I'd like to be able to use Travis's build matrix functionality
to generate the various tests from a list of Metacello load groups.
 From reading the build.sh file it doesn't look easy.

Thanks

Paul

Re: builderCI questions

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

With travis it isn't necessary to do everything via branches. When specifying the build matrix, you can define your own set of env vars to fill out the matrix. Here's a partial spec from the metacello-work configuration branch[1] .travis.yml file:

env:
   - ST=PharoCore-1.1 BUILD_ARG=-X TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisCI.st
   - ST=PharoCore-1.1 BUILD_ARG=-m TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisPreviewCI.st
   - ST=PharoCore-1.2 BUILD_ARG=-X TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisCI.st
   - ST=PharoCore-1.2 BUILD_ARG=-m TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisPreviewCI.st

Here I've defined $ST, $BUILD_ARG and $TRAVIS_SCRIPT that are used later in the .travis.yml file to control what get's run.

You could define a var (or set of vars) for each of the test groups and then arrange to run separate matrix runs for each group ..

Is this what you were looking for?

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/configuration/.travis.yml

| I'm putting Seaside 3.1 on travis ci.  With the current builderCI
| setup
| is there a way to specify which Test groups to load and run from the
| .travis.yml file?  Up to now I've just been making a branch per group
| but I know I'm going to want to change the ConfigurationOfSeaside30
| file
| and don't want to have to update every branch.
|
| I'd prefer to not have to keep a branch for each of the following
| Seaside test groups:
|
| #('Tests')
| #('Development Tests')
| #('JQueryUI Tests')
| #('Kom Tests')
| #('Development Tests' 'JQueryUI Tests' 'Kom Tests' 'Omnibrowser')
| .......etc..
|

| Instead I'd like to be able to use Travis's build matrix
| functionality
| to generate the various tests from a list of Metacello load groups.
|  From reading the build.sh file it doesn't look easy.
|
| Thanks
|
| Paul

Re: builderCI questions

Paul DeBruicker
Hey Dale,

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry about forgetting about this email.

I created a bash script that makes my travisCI.st file for each build but is configured in my .travis.yml file.  Its ingeniously named makeTravisCI.sh.   Anyways.  Its here in my github repo if you want to use it for anything:

https://github.com/pdebruic/builderCI

Using it I was able to set up the build matrix for Seaside 3.1 & 3.0.7 for Squeak and Pharo on Travis to do what I want as described here:

https://github.com/pdebruic/ConfigurationOfSeaside30

So I'm all set for now.

Dale Henrichs wrote
Paul,

With travis it isn't necessary to do everything via branches. When specifying the build matrix, you can define your own set of env vars to fill out the matrix. Here's a partial spec from the metacello-work configuration branch[1] .travis.yml file:

env:
   - ST=PharoCore-1.1 BUILD_ARG=-X TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisCI.st
   - ST=PharoCore-1.1 BUILD_ARG=-m TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisPreviewCI.st
   - ST=PharoCore-1.2 BUILD_ARG=-X TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisCI.st
   - ST=PharoCore-1.2 BUILD_ARG=-m TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisPreviewCI.st

Here I've defined $ST, $BUILD_ARG and $TRAVIS_SCRIPT that are used later in the .travis.yml file to control what get's run.

You could define a var (or set of vars) for each of the test groups and then arrange to run separate matrix runs for each group ..

Is this what you were looking for?

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/configuration/.travis.yml

| I'm putting Seaside 3.1 on travis ci.  With the current builderCI
| setup
| is there a way to specify which Test groups to load and run from the
| .travis.yml file?  Up to now I've just been making a branch per group
| but I know I'm going to want to change the ConfigurationOfSeaside30
| file
| and don't want to have to update every branch.
|
| I'd prefer to not have to keep a branch for each of the following
| Seaside test groups:
|
| #('Tests')
| #('Development Tests')
| #('JQueryUI Tests')
| #('Kom Tests')
| #('Development Tests' 'JQueryUI Tests' 'Kom Tests' 'Omnibrowser')
| .......etc..
|

| Instead I'd like to be able to use Travis's build matrix
| functionality
| to generate the various tests from a list of Metacello load groups.
|  From reading the build.sh file it doesn't look easy.
|
| Thanks
|
| Paul

Re: builderCI questions

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

Ah ... that looks like it might be very interesting ... when I cycle back through builderci, I'll look more closely ...

Dale

| Thanks for getting back to me and sorry about forgetting about this
| email.
|
| I created a bash script that makes my travisCI.st file for each build
| but is
| configured in my .travis.yml file.  Its ingeniously named
| makeTravisCI.sh.
| Anyways.  Its here in my github repo if you want to use it for
| anything:
|
| https://github.com/pdebruic/builderCI
|
| Using it I was able to set up the build matrix for Seaside 3.1 &
| 3.0.7 for
| Squeak and Pharo on Travis to do what I want as described here:
|
| https://github.com/pdebruic/ConfigurationOfSeaside30
|
| So I'm all set for now.
|

| Dale Henrichs wrote
| > Paul,
| >
| > With travis it isn't necessary to do everything via branches. When
| > specifying the build matrix, you can define your own set of env
| > vars to
| > fill out the matrix. Here's a partial spec from the metacello-work
| > configuration branch[1] .travis.yml file:
| >
| > env:
| >    - ST=PharoCore-1.1 BUILD_ARG=-X TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisCI.st
| >    - ST=PharoCore-1.1 BUILD_ARG=-m TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisPreviewCI.st
| >    - ST=PharoCore-1.2 BUILD_ARG=-X TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisCI.st
| >    - ST=PharoCore-1.2 BUILD_ARG=-m TRAVIS_SCRIPT=travisPreviewCI.st
| >
| > Here I've defined $ST, $BUILD_ARG and $TRAVIS_SCRIPT that are used
| > later
| > in the .travis.yml file to control what get's run.
| >
| > You could define a var (or set of vars) for each of the test groups
| > and
| > then arrange to run separate matrix runs for each group ..
| >
| > Is this what you were looking for?
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1]
| > https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/configuration/.travis.yml

| > |
| > | Hi-
| > |
| > | I'm putting Seaside 3.1 on travis ci.  With the current builderCI
| > | setup
| > | is there a way to specify which Test groups to load and run from
| > | the
| > | .travis.yml file?  Up to now I've just been making a branch per
| > | group
| > | but I know I'm going to want to change the
| > | ConfigurationOfSeaside30
| > | file
| > | and don't want to have to update every branch.
| > |
| > | I'd prefer to not have to keep a branch for each of the following
| > | Seaside test groups:
| > |
| > | #('Tests')
| > | #('Development Tests')
| > | #('JQueryUI Tests')
| > | #('Kom Tests')
| > | #('Development Tests' 'JQueryUI Tests' 'Kom Tests' 'Omnibrowser')
| > | .......etc..
| > |
| > |
| > | Instead I'd like to be able to use Travis's build matrix
| > | functionality
| > | to generate the various tests from a list of Metacello load
| > | groups.
| > |  From reading the build.sh file it doesn't look easy.
| > |
| > | Thanks