built first virtual world

Paul Sheldon-2
Today, on reaching p212 in Americo course #1, I build a virtual world
with two colored boxes with arrows floating in the air and visited this
world from another world.

Blender had non aqua interface, but I found gesture familiarity made it
not forbidding. There are stumbling blocks that you get how to work
around since menus a bit different in mac and pc that Americo speaks of.

Gimp2 shouldn't be launched by command line from X11 but on Gimp.app for
full help and correct color picker.

I have not yet the ability to plant my own model (*.mdl file) on the
collaborative hill as I did my signature with tpaint.

If I can many others can too. Hope this helps your courage as it has mine.

Re: built first virtual world

javaJake
I tried Blender once, and it was fairly time-consuming. I guess 3D modeling isn't exactly something you'll get done with in 30 minutes, but I just don't have the time.

I wish you luck in your adventures towards 3D!

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now—and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

Jacob wrote:

>I tried Blender once, and it was fairly time-consuming. I guess 3D modeling isn't exactly something you'll get done with in 30 minutes, but I just don't have the time.
>
>I wish you luck in your adventures towards 3D!

Thank you for your well wishes.

Re: built first virtual world

LawsonEnglish
Paul Sheldon wrote:

> Jacob wrote:
>
>> I tried Blender once, and it was fairly time-consuming. I guess 3D
>> modeling isn't exactly something you'll get done with in 30 minutes,
>> but I just don't have the time.
>>
>> I wish you luck in your adventures towards 3D!
>>

> Thank you for your well wishes.

I've never tried blender, but Maya student version is reasonably
inexpensive, and feature complete, and is said to be far easier to use.

Ease-of-use is often what divides the free software from the commercial
software. It is easy for programmers to add technical features, but only
a handful of programmers have the  aptitude to become good
user-interface design gurus.

Re: built first virtual world

hendikon
It's a bit of myth that Blender is difficult to use. It has some good
interface ideas, my favourite being the use of non-overlapping
subdivided windows (what's the point of overlappable windows?). There
are some annoying things about it (use of modes) but it's a very capable
program.

> I've never tried blender, but Maya student version is reasonably
> inexpensive, and feature complete, and is said to be far easier to use.
>
> Ease-of-use is often what divides the free software from the
> commercial software. It is easy for programmers to add technical
> features, but only a handful of programmers have the  aptitude to
> become good user-interface design gurus.

Re: built first virtual world

Paul Sheldon-2
"It's a bit of myth that Blender is difficult to use."

I saw animation in this free thing.
This wonderous blender that makes our avatars by default, the "Mimsy".
Don't look this up in wikipedia, a terrible spoiler.

 VR is VR and it doesn't cost $2000 to $9000 like maya and
I believe it exports python for free.
According to Americo, it is only a stepping stone to AI and advanced
programming
stuff.

I might, for example, date and work with digital artists, rather than have
this horrible work for metaphor that Ayn Rand rebelled against in "Atlas
Shrugged"
(not liking being expropriated and all that stuff as she was).

Blender makes avatars in Minnesota. I'd really like to date a storyteller.
Could I make a Garrison Keeler avatar. I always face dark forbodings
before my grand adventures. Would I want to make a Garrison Keeler avatar.
He sure would beat the purple dinosaur, yeah a Garrison Keeler terradactyl.
I'd get the date for sure!

Thank you for your encouraging remarks, thank you very very much.

I bought a mighty mouse today because I found that scrolling
will make Alice fly and I plan that as a further segway to this paralysed
friend who can't scroll (she has to verbally press an arrow button).
Wings for the mind! Wings of flame!