call for hypercool fonts configuration

12

call for hypercool fonts configuration

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

on one hand we should have a good default for fonts - default means ok
for license and
work on platforms....

Now I would LOVE to get a list of cool combination of fonts even if
they are proprietary.

So I hope that I woke the designer in you :)
Send snippets in the following forms that we can impress girls :)

font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans' pointSize: 10.
codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 11.

Preferences setListFontTo: font.
Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Yes, anythinks related to look'nd feel and overal design in Pharo
could help a lot to make people to LOVE Pharo or to RUN AWAY.

Regarding fonts, I found myself sharing the point previously expressed there:
-Dejavu Sans for all but code
-Code with Dedavu mono

The issue about Freetype efficiency, related to submorph damage code
related previsouly, is of equal importance.

If the user experience is ungood -- slowness -- people will RUN AWAY.

2009/5/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys
>
> on one hand we should have a good default for fonts - default means ok
> for license and
> work on platforms....
>
> Now I would LOVE to get a list of cool combination of fonts even if
> they are proprietary.
>
> So I hope that I woke the designer in you :)
> Send snippets in the following forms that we can impress girls :)
>

> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans' pointSize: 10.
> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 11.
>
> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>

> Stef

http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Adrian Lienhard
On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
Grande and Monaco:

font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.

Preferences setListFontTo: font.
Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.

Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease the
line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.

Adrian

On May 21, 2009, at 10:55 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Yes, anythinks related to look'nd feel and overal design in Pharo
> could help a lot to make people to LOVE Pharo or to RUN AWAY.
>
> Regarding fonts, I found myself sharing the point previously
> expressed there:
> -Dejavu Sans for all but code
> -Code with Dedavu mono
>
> The issue about Freetype efficiency, related to submorph damage code
> related previsouly, is of equal importance.
>
> If the user experience is ungood -- slowness -- people will RUN AWAY.
>

> 2009/5/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> on one hand we should have a good default for fonts - default means
>> ok
>> for license and
>> work on platforms....
>>
>> Now I would LOVE to get a list of cool combination of fonts even if
>> they are proprietary.
>>
>> So I hope that I woke the designer in you :)
>> Send snippets in the following forms that we can impress girls :)
>>

>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans' pointSize: 10.
>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 11.
>>
>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>

>> Stef

> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Stéphane Ducasse
this is strange because I get a blurry result.
Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev and
the VM has the FT2plugin

Stef

On May 21, 2009, at 10:50 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
> Grande and Monaco:
>
> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>
> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>
> Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease the
> line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
> above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.
>
> Adrian
>
> On May 21, 2009, at 10:55 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>
>> Yes, anythinks related to look'nd feel and overal design in Pharo
>> could help a lot to make people to LOVE Pharo or to RUN AWAY.
>>
>> Regarding fonts, I found myself sharing the point previously
>> expressed there:
>> -Dejavu Sans for all but code
>> -Code with Dedavu mono
>>
>> The issue about Freetype efficiency, related to submorph damage code
>> related previsouly, is of equal importance.
>>
>> If the user experience is ungood -- slowness -- people will RUN AWAY.
>>

>> 2009/5/21 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> on one hand we should have a good default for fonts - default means
>>> ok
>>> for license and
>>> work on platforms....
>>>
>>> Now I would LOVE to get a list of cool combination of fonts even if
>>> they are proprietary.
>>>
>>> So I hope that I woke the designer in you :)
>>> Send snippets in the following forms that we can impress girls :)
>>>

>>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans' pointSize: 10.
>>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
>>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 11.
>>>
>>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>>

>>> Stef

>> --
>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Benjamin Pollack
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is strange because I get a blurry result.
Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev and
the VM has the FT2plugin

Stef

This is actually confusing me, too.  My favorite coding font by far is Consolas, a proprietary Microsoft font that ships with Vista and newer versions of Office.  (Hey, give me a break; once every 30 years, they're allowed to get something right.)  I therefore gave the following configuration a shot:

font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Consolas' pointSize: 9.
titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 11.

Preferences setListFontTo: font.
Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.

Unfortunately, under Pharo, the result's so bad, I feel as if I'm trying to code through beer goggles.  The Lucida Grande looks fine, but the Consolas looks as if it has been heavily smeared.  Oddly, the problem mostly goes away if I change Consolas' size to 8 points, rather than 9.  To me, without any knowledge of what Pharo does for fonts, that screams that the FreeType plugin is built without the bytecode interpreter.  If so, I think it can safely be enabled on both OS X and Windows, since the patent holders are Apple and Microsoft.

--Benjamin

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Adrian Lienhard
Hm, they look perfect on my machine. I just took a 10310 Pharo core
and run the script I posted.

Do you have the BitBlt plugin added to the VM?
Are the DejaVu fonts blurry as well? Can you post a screenshot?

Adrian

On May 21, 2009, at 23:30 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> this is strange because I get a blurry result.
> Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev and
> the VM has the FT2plugin
>
> Stef
>

> On May 21, 2009, at 10:50 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
>> Grande and Monaco:
>>
>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>
>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>
>> Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease the
>> line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
>> above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On May 21, 2009, at 10:55 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, anythinks related to look'nd feel and overal design in Pharo
>>> could help a lot to make people to LOVE Pharo or to RUN AWAY.
>>>
>>> Regarding fonts, I found myself sharing the point previously
>>> expressed there:
>>> -Dejavu Sans for all but code
>>> -Code with Dedavu mono
>>>
>>> The issue about Freetype efficiency, related to submorph damage code
>>> related previsouly, is of equal importance.
>>>
>>> If the user experience is ungood -- slowness -- people will RUN
>>> AWAY.

>>> --
>>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

I would like to give my script, but I do not know how to specify in a
script that I want 'Helvetica Neue' - 'Condensed Bold'. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 May 2009, at 09:56, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hm, they look perfect on my machine. I just took a 10310 Pharo core
> and run the script I posted.
>
> Do you have the BitBlt plugin added to the VM?
> Are the DejaVu fonts blurry as well? Can you post a screenshot?
>
> Adrian
>
> On May 21, 2009, at 23:30 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> this is strange because I get a blurry result.
>> Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev
>> and
>> the VM has the FT2plugin
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On May 21, 2009, at 10:50 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
>>> Grande and Monaco:
>>>
>>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
>>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
>>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
>>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>>
>>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>>
>>> Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease
>>> the
>>> line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
>>> above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.
>>>
>>> Adrian

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

I had the impression that I'm missing something too :)

Stef

On May 22, 2009, at 6:38 AM, Benjamin Pollack wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> this is strange because I get a blurry result.
> Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev and
> the VM has the FT2plugin
>
> Stef
>
> This is actually confusing me, too.  My favorite coding font by far
> is Consolas, a proprietary Microsoft font that ships with Vista and
> newer versions of Office.  (Hey, give me a break; once every 30
> years, they're allowed to get something right.)  I therefore gave
> the following configuration a shot:
>
> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Consolas' pointSize: 9.
> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 11.
>
> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>
> Unfortunately, under Pharo, the result's so bad, I feel as if I'm
> trying to code through beer goggles.  The Lucida Grande looks fine,
> but the Consolas looks as if it has been heavily smeared.  Oddly,
> the problem mostly goes away if I change Consolas' size to 8 points,
> rather than 9.  To me, without any knowledge of what Pharo does for
> fonts, that screams that the FreeType plugin is built without the
> bytecode interpreter.  If so, I think it can safely be enabled on
> both OS X and Windows, since the patent holders are Apple and
> Microsoft.
>
> --Benjamin

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Andrew Tween
Hi

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:19:44 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] call for hypercool fonts configuration
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to give my script, but I do not know how to specify in a
> script that I want 'Helvetica Neue' - 'Condensed Bold'. Can anyone help?

codeFont := LogicalFont
 familyName: 'Helvetica Neue'
 pointSize: 9
 stretchValue: (LogicalFont stretchCondensed)
 weightValue: (LogicalFont weightBold)
 slantValue: (LogicalFont slantNormal).
Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.

Cheers,
Andy

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 22 May 2009, at 09:56, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
> > Hm, they look perfect on my machine. I just took a 10310 Pharo core
> > and run the script I posted.
> >
> > Do you have the BitBlt plugin added to the VM?
> > Are the DejaVu fonts blurry as well? Can you post a screenshot?
> >
> > Adrian
> >
> > On May 21, 2009, at 23:30 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> >> this is strange because I get a blurry result.
> >> Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev
> >> and
> >> the VM has the FT2plugin
> >>
> >> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow."

" Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Ok I will check the BitBlt plugin

On May 22, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> [...]

>>> On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
>>> Grande and Monaco:
>>>
>>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
>>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
>>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
>>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>>
>>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>>
>>> Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease
>>> the
>>> line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
>>> above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.

Picture 4.pdf (59K) Download Attachment

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Damien Pollet
2009/5/22 Benjamin Pollack <[hidden email]>:
> This is actually confusing me, too.  My favorite coding font by far is
> Consolas, a proprietary Microsoft font that ships with Vista and newer
> versions of Office.  (Hey, give me a break; once every 30 years, they're
> allowed to get something right.)

+1 for consolas, it's as good as monaco but has true italics and bold.

BTW if you get display problems with it on macs, there is a hack to fix it:
http://gist.github.com/79238

Lucida Grande is nice but it lacks an italic, which is needed in MC and OB…

--
Damien Pollet

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Andrew Tween
Hi Adrian,

The LogicalFont's realFont is set to nil when the image is saved, so your tweaked line height will be lost next time the image opens.

You could run the script each time the image starts.
Or, we would have to find a place to store these values and apply them automatically each time a LogicalFont gets assigned a realFont.

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:19, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to give my script, but I do not know how to specify in a
> script that I want 'Helvetica Neue' - 'Condensed Bold'. Can anyone help?

Try the postscript name of that font (visible in Font Book, but
usually the same without spaces)

--
Damien Pollet

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

with the bitblt

On May 22, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Hm, they look perfect on my machine. I just took a 10310 Pharo core
> and run the script I posted.
>
> Do you have the BitBlt plugin added to the VM?
> Are the DejaVu fonts blurry as well? Can you post a screenshot?
>
> Adrian
>
> On May 21, 2009, at 23:30 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> this is strange because I get a blurry result.
>> Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev
>> and
>> the VM has the FT2plugin
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On May 21, 2009, at 10:50 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
>>> Grande and Monaco:
>>>
>>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
>>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
>>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
>>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>>
>>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>>
>>> Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease
>>> the
>>> line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
>>> above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.
>>>
>>> Adrian

Picture 5.pdf (85K) Download Attachment

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Damien our cool typo freak could you provide some really nice
combination for Pharo on mac

I would love to have a menu with
        - hyper cool look
        - teeky
        - ...

You see what I mean.

STfe

On May 22, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> 2009/5/22 Benjamin Pollack <[hidden email]>:
>> This is actually confusing me, too.  My favorite coding font by far
>> is
>> Consolas, a proprietary Microsoft font that ships with Vista and
>> newer
>> versions of Office.  (Hey, give me a break; once every 30 years,
>> they're
>> allowed to get something right.)
>
> +1 for consolas, it's as good as monaco but has true italics and bold.
>
> BTW if you get display problems with it on macs, there is a hack to
> fix it:
> http://gist.github.com/79238
>
> Lucida Grande is nice but it lacks an italic, which is needed in MC
> and OB…
>
> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Tudor Girba-3
Thanks a lot, that worked fine.

So, I list below my settings. I use Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold for
menus and window title. Because I use it there, I also use Helvetica
Neue regular for the rest of the items, except for the code where I
use Monaco:

menuFont := LogicalFont
                familyName: 'Helvetica Neue'
                pointSize: 9
                stretchValue: (LogicalFont stretchCondensed)
                weightValue: (LogicalFont weightBold)
                slantValue: (LogicalFont slantNormal).
titleFont := LogicalFont
                familyName: 'Helvetica Neue'
                pointSize: 14
                stretchValue: (LogicalFont stretchCondensed)
                weightValue: (LogicalFont weightBold)
                slantValue: (LogicalFont slantNormal).
codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 8.
defaultFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Helvetica Neue' pointSize: 9.
Preferences setSystemFontTo: defaultFont.
Preferences setListFontTo: defaultFont.
Preferences setFlapsFontTo: menuFont.
Preferences setHaloLabelFontTo: defaultFont.
Preferences setMenuFontTo: menuFont.
Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
Preferences setBalloonHelpFontTo: defaultFont.
Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
Preferences setButtonFontTo: defaultFont.

Cheers,
Doru

On 22 May 2009, at 11:05, Andrew Tween wrote:

> Hi
>

> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:19:44 +0200
> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] call for hypercool fonts configuration
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to give my script, but I do not know how to specify
> in a
> > script that I want 'Helvetica Neue' - 'Condensed Bold'. Can anyone
> help?
>

> codeFont := LogicalFont
>  familyName: 'Helvetica Neue'
>  pointSize: 9
>  stretchValue: (LogicalFont stretchCondensed)
>  weightValue: (LogicalFont weightBold)
>  slantValue: (LogicalFont slantNormal).
> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>

> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > On 22 May 2009, at 09:56, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> >
> > > Hm, they look perfect on my machine. I just took a 10310 Pharo
> core
> > > and run the script I posted.
> > >
> > > Do you have the BitBlt plugin added to the VM?
> > > Are the DejaVu fonts blurry as well? Can you post a screenshot?
> > >
> > > Adrian

> 10309dev

> pointSize: 10.

> decrease
> the

> Pharo

> even

> girls :)

> pointSize:
> pointSize: 11.

> project
> > >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Every thing has its own flow."

www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we'll know, we'll still value a chef."

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Adrian Lienhard
This does not look blurry in my eyes (slightly better than the first
screenshot, which seems not having subpixel-AA due to the missing
BitBlt plugin).

Adrian

On May 22, 2009, at 11:22 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> with the bitblt
>
> <Picture 5.pdf>
>

> On May 22, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Hm, they look perfect on my machine. I just took a 10310 Pharo core
>> and run the script I posted.
>>
>> Do you have the BitBlt plugin added to the VM?
>> Are the DejaVu fonts blurry as well? Can you post a screenshot?
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On May 21, 2009, at 23:30 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> this is strange because I get a blurry result.
>>> Should I have a specific package loaded: I tried with the 10309dev
>>> and
>>> the VM has the FT2plugin
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the note.

I think its not that important. I like the mono-spaced DejaVu font as
well, and it does not have that large line spacing.

Cheers,
Adrian

On May 22, 2009, at 11:22 , Andrew Tween wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>

> The LogicalFont's realFont is set to nil when the image is saved, so
> your tweaked line height will be lost next time the image opens.
>

> You could run the script each time the image starts.
>
> Or, we would have to find a place to store these values and apply
> them automatically each time a LogicalFont gets assigned a realFont.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andy
>

>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:50:18 +0200
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] call for hypercool fonts configuration
>>
>> On Mac, I like the following "special" configuration with Lucida
>> Grande and Monaco:
>>
>> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Monaco' pointSize: 9.
>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedAscent' put: 12.
>> codeFont realFont instVarNamed: 'cachedHeight' put: 15.
>> titleFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Lucida Grande' pointSize: 10.
>>
>> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: titleFont.
>>
>> Note, I manually tweak the font description of Monaco to decrease the
>> line height (don't know why it is that high by default). With the
>> above, it looks more like in TextMate for example.
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On May 21, 2009, at 10:55 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, anythinks related to look'nd feel and overal design in Pharo
>>> could help a lot to make people to LOVE Pharo or to RUN AWAY.
>>>
>>> Regarding fonts, I found myself sharing the point previously
>>> expressed there:
>>> -Dejavu Sans for all but code
>>> -Code with Dedavu mono
>>>
>>> The issue about Freetype efficiency, related to submorph damage code
>>> related previsouly, is of equal importance.
>>>
>>> If the user experience is ungood -- slowness -- people will RUN
>>> AWAY.

>>> --
>>> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: call for hypercool fonts configuration

good that you raised the level :)

Stef