call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

ccrraaiigg

Hoi all--

     I'll be doing the Annual Squeak Shoutout again at FOSDEM in
Bruxelles this weekend. Please let me know of any Squeak-related
accomplishments you'd like me to mention! So far I'll be showing off
Squeak 4.5 rc 1, shouting out mad props to Chris.

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

timrowledge

On 28-01-2014, at 11:02 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi all--
>
>     I'll be doing the Annual Squeak Shoutout again at FOSDEM in
> Bruxelles this weekend. Please let me know of any Squeak-related
> accomplishments you'd like me to mention! So far I'll be showing off
> Squeak 4.5 rc 1, shouting out mad props to Chris.

Quite right too.

Load up the latest production Scratch-Pi too. Runs perfectly well on a plain interp VM, or of course, scrounge a Pi from somewhere.

And maybe, load up an image with MathMorphs & the plotters. I think that would make a pretty neat demo and really ought to be made more of, even though it is such old code. Who needs Mathematica?

And Plumbin’ ! Classic!

tim
Blurglar: cat burglar that relies on speed

Re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

Chris Muller-3
How about your latest Spoon work?

Oh, be careful with RC1, it has some issues hopefully fixed in RC2.

Showing anything not still being actively developed such as MathMorphs
seems like a bad idea from a marketing perspective.

On 28-01-2014, at 11:55 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about your latest Spoon work?
>
> Oh, be careful with RC1, it has some issues hopefully fixed in RC2.
>
> Showing anything not still being actively developed such as MathMorphs
> seems like a bad idea from a marketing perspective.

Well there’s a relatively easy solution to that… but nonetheless Edgar pointed out that it works in the 4.5 image as of the end of last year. Given how cool it is, I’d be happy to demo it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: CLOUT: Call Long-distance On Unused Telephone

re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

ccrraaiigg

> Load up the latest production Scratch-Pi too. Runs perfectly well on
> a plain interp VM, or of course, scrounge a Pi from somewhere.

     Cool, I'll have a Pi with me. My other talk is "A Spoonful of Pi".

     Thanks for the suggestions, Tim!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume
+ 1 510 984 8117
+31  20 893 2796

Re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

Edgar De Cleene

On 1/28/14 5:25 PM, "tim Rowledge" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28-01-2014, at 11:55 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> How about your latest Spoon work?
>>
>> Oh, be careful with RC1, it has some issues hopefully fixed in RC2.
>>
>> Showing anything not still being actively developed such as MathMorphs
>> seems like a bad idea from a marketing perspective.
>
> Well there¹s a relatively easy solution to thatŠ but nonetheless Edgar pointed
> out that it works in the 4.5 image as of the end of last year. Given how cool
> it is, I¹d be happy to demo it.
>

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: CLOUT: Call Long-distance On Unused Telephone

Here http://squeakros.org/MathMorph.zip you could download a complete small
old image (4.3Mb) with sources and Mac old VM running MathMorhs.
Runs in any Mac new and old G4, so should run in Pi with proper VM.

I working in having it on Cuis reduced based image.

And challenge Craig for having a Spoon gizmo !!

Edgar

On 29-01-2014, at 6:03 AM, Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here http://squeakros.org/MathMorph.zip you could download a complete small
> old image (4.3Mb) with sources and Mac old VM running MathMorhs.
> Runs in any Mac new and old G4, so should run in Pi with proper VM.

Thank you! (A note - it wouldn’t unzip with the default unzipper on my iMac but was fine with the UnArchiver)
It’s very, very, cool. I think for a quick demo I’d be inclined to build a clutch of action buttocks that would fire off each demo plot and just show one case of the air-typing, simply to save time.

I can’t tell from my very quick look so far - did anyone ever make dynamic plots? I’m thinking having sliders or other inputs immediately affecting the plot. There are a few people I’ve come across online that are interested is trying to use Scratch to teach about algorithms and functions and other mathy stuff, and I have been encouraging them to look at mathmorphs for inspiration. Mixing Scratch tile building with mathmorph function handling and plotting might make a really neat tuition tool, one worthy of ‘selling’ as a classroom app on Pi’s for example.

tim
Useful random insult:- Sailboat fuel for brains.

Re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

Stéphane Rollandin
> I can’t tell from my very quick look so far - did anyone ever make dynamic plots?

I have that in muO. Download the muO image at
http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/muo/muO290.zip then in the image
do a right-click on the world, from the menu that appears select "live
documentation -> examples -> basic -> Function editor example 2" and see
what happens.

Re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

Stéphane Rollandin
The "Make it yourself" part is outdated BTW, it will not work exactly as
explained...

Re: call for items for the Annual Squeak Shoutout at FOSDEM

eoca
Edgar, Tim

I remember that, within the air typing, you could drop one or more objets
into other objet and use the formers as arguments of a message sent to the
dropee. Meanwhile you choose one of the possible selectors, the droped
objects orbited the would be receiver as small satellites.
Is that feature still working for Tim's demo?
Best

Emilio

PS: Richie, one of the developer of that feature is now working with
satellites orbitig earth :)