can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think it could be very easily to implement, at least in Pharo since Symbol >> value

value: anObject
    ^anObject perform: self.

but I have no idea in Gemstone... anyway, no matter how it is implemented it would be nice if it accepts both, closures or selectors.

shall I open a ticket?

cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

GemStone does implement, Symbol>>Value:, but......

I am reluctant to take too much advantage of the fact that we are executing smalltalk code in the version and baseline methods:

  1. Right now those methods can be completely regenerated from the version specs.
     If we encourage closures, then we wander into the territory where method
     temps might be involved and we lose that capability ... we already have a small
     case of that when we lose comments embedded in the spec
  2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will have their
     own link an mcz file ... that won't happen until we have better tools, but
     once we have good tools for constructing configurations, we won't have to rely
     upon Smalltalk code as the input format...

Dale

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

GemStone does implement, Symbol>>Value:, but......

I am reluctant to take too much advantage of the fact that we are executing smalltalk code in the version and baseline methods:

 1. Right now those methods can be completely regenerated from the version specs.
    If we encourage closures, then we wander into the territory where method
    temps might be involved and we lose that capability ... we already have a small
    case of that when we lose comments embedded in the spec

that make sense.

 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will have their
    own link an mcz file ...

I didn't understand this.

Thanks!

that won't happen until we have better tools, but
    once we have good tools for constructing configurations, we won't have to rely
    upon Smalltalk code as the input format...

Dale
| I think it could be very easily to implement, at least in Pharo since
| Symbol >> value
|
| value: anObject
| ^anObject perform: self.
|
| but I have no idea in Gemstone... anyway, no matter how it is
| implemented it would be nice if it accepts both, closures or
| selectors.
|
| shall I open a ticket?
|
| cheers
|
| --
| Mariano
| http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

Dale Henrichs

| On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email] >
| wrote:
|
| 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
| have their
| own link an mcz file ...
|
| I didn't understand this.

You're right that sentence is gobbledygook... I'll fire my proofreader:)

I meant to say:

  2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
     have their own format like an mcz file.

Dale

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email] >
| wrote:
|
| 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
| have their
| own link an mcz file ...
|
| I didn't understand this.

You're right that sentence is gobbledygook... I'll fire my proofreader:)

I meant to say:

 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
    have their own format like an mcz file.

Ahhh much better now.
What would be the advantages of doing so?

Dale

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

Dale Henrichs
The primary advantage would be to get away from using classes for Configurations and the Class Browser as the configuration tool ... Once we've got good tools for creating and managing configurations, the file format should match the requirements of the tool rather than the requirement of being "easy to edit in a browswer".

I would like servers like SqueakSource or SmalltalkHub to be able to reason about configurations, but if code has to be executed on the server to create the configuration, that introduces a giant security hole than anyone can drive a mack truck through ... A structured file would have that problem and we could safely have web-based tools for Metacello...

Dale

| On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email] >
| wrote:

| |
| | On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| | >
| | wrote:
| |

| | 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
| | have their
| | own link an mcz file ...
| |
| | I didn't understand this.
|
| You're right that sentence is gobbledygook... I'll fire my
| proofreader:)
|
| I meant to say:
|

| 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
| have their own format like an mcz file.
|

| Ahhh much better now.
| What would be the advantages of doing so?
|

| Dale
|

| --
| Mariano
| http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

Dale Henrichs
I'll have to fire my new copy editor as well:)

The primary advantage would be to get away from using classes for Configurations and the Class Browser as the configuration tool ... Once we've got good tools for creating and managing configurations, the file format should match the requirements of the tool rather than the requirement of being "easy to edit in a browswer".

I would like servers like SqueakSource or SmalltalkHub to be able to reason about configurations, but if code has to be executed on the server to create the configuration, that introduces a giant security hole _that_ anyone can drive a mack truck through ... A structured file would _not_ have that problem and we could safely have web-based tools for Metacello...

Dale

| The primary advantage would be to get away from using classes for
| Configurations and the Class Browser as the configuration tool ...
| Once we've got good tools for creating and managing configurations,
| the file format should match the requirements of the tool rather
| than the requirement of being "easy to edit in a browswer".
|
| I would like servers like SqueakSource or SmalltalkHub to be able to
| reason about configurations, but if code has to be executed on the
| server to create the configuration, that introduces a giant security
| hole than anyone can drive a mack truck through ... A structured
| file would have that problem and we could safely have web-based
| tools for Metacello...
|
| Dale

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| | >
| | wrote:
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | | Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:24:49 AM
| | | Subject: Re: [Metacello] can we use closures for pre a post load
| | | do
| | | it ?
| | |
| | | On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | | [hidden email]
| | | >
| | | wrote:
| | |
| |
| | | 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
| | | have their
| | | own link an mcz file ...
| | |
| | | I didn't understand this.
| |
| | You're right that sentence is gobbledygook... I'll fire my
| | proofreader:)
| |
| | I meant to say:
| |
| |
| | 2. I still hold onto the plan that eventually configurations will
| | have their own format like an mcz file.
| |
| |
| | Ahhh much better now.
| | What would be the advantages of doing so?
| |
| |
| |
| | Dale
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | Mariano
| | http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
| |
| |

Re: can we use closures for pre a post load do it ?

stephane ducasse-2
hi dale

to go in that direction we should have declarative syntax.
This also means that we should avoid to have load loadDefault and that people redefine them.

Stef
On Dec 5, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I'll have to fire my new copy editor as well:)
>
> The primary advantage would be to get away from using classes for Configurations and the Class Browser as the configuration tool ... Once we've got good tools for creating and managing configurations, the file format should match the requirements of the tool rather than the requirement of being "easy to edit in a browswer".
>
> I would like servers like SqueakSource or SmalltalkHub to be able to reason about configurations, but if code has to be executed on the server to create the configuration, that introduces a giant security hole _that_ anyone can drive a mack truck through ... A structured file would _not_ have that problem and we could safely have web-based tools for Metacello...
>
> Dale

Agreed.

| to go in that direction we should have declarative syntax.
| This also means that we should avoid to have load loadDefault and
| that people redefine them.
|
| Stef
| On Dec 5, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > I'll have to fire my new copy editor as well:)
| >
| > The primary advantage would be to get away from using classes for
| > Configurations and the Class Browser as the configuration tool ...
| > Once we've got good tools for creating and managing
| > configurations, the file format should match the requirements of
| > the tool rather than the requirement of being "easy to edit in a
| > browswer".
| >
| > I would like servers like SqueakSource or SmalltalkHub to be able
| > to reason about configurations, but if code has to be executed on
| > the server to create the configuration, that introduces a giant
| > security hole _that_ anyone can drive a mack truck through ... A
| > structured file would _not_ have that problem and we could safely
| > have web-based tools for Metacello...
| >
| > Dale

| > |
| > | The primary advantage would be to get away from using classes for
| > | Configurations and the Class Browser as the configuration tool
| > | Once we've got good tools for creating and managing
| > | configurations,
| > | the file format should match the requirements of the tool rather
| > | than the requirement of being "easy to edit in a browswer".
| > |
| > | I would like servers like SqueakSource or SmalltalkHub to be able
| > | reason about configurations, but if code has to be executed on
| > | the
| > | server to create the configuration, that introduces a giant
| > | security
| > | hole than anyone can drive a mack truck through ... A structured
| > | file would have that problem and we could safely have web-based
| > | tools for Metacello...
| > |
| > | Dale
| > |