classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

catching exceptions

abdelghani ALIDRA
Hi everyBody,

I know there is some kind of exceptions handling mechanism  in Pharo but I cant exactly  remember where to find it.
Actually, I would like to execute specific code if atRandomis called on an empty Array or Collection.
I probably can still override errorEmptyCollection but maybe there is another (less radical) way.
And by the way, Would it be quicker to use exception handling then just testing the Collection before calling atRandom.

Thanks

Abdelghani 
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: catching exceptions

Skip Lentz-2
Hi, you can use BlockClosure>>on:do:, like this:

[ #() atRandom ] on: Exception do: [ 1 ].

Personally, I would check the collection to be empty before calling.

On Nov 26, 2015, at 1:33 PM, abdelghani ALIDRA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyBody,

I know there is some kind of exceptions handling mechanism  in Pharo but I cant exactly  remember where to find it.
Actually, I would like to execute specific code if atRandomis called on an empty Array or Collection.
I probably can still override errorEmptyCollection but maybe there is another (less radical) way.
And by the way, Would it be quicker to use exception handling then just testing the Collection before calling atRandom.

Thanks

Abdelghani 

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: catching exceptions

BriceG
In reply to this post by abdelghani ALIDRA

Hi,

take a look at the method on:do: and especially its sender you'll get an hint about it.

There's different kind of Exception you can use in the package Kernel-Exceptions.

You can also use your own Exception Class I guess as long as you raise it in your code and catch it with the on:do: method.

Regards,

--------------
Brice Govin
PhD student in RMoD research team at INRIA Lille
Software Engineer at THALES AIR SYSTEMS Rungis
ENSTA-Bretagne ENSI2014

22 Avenue du General Leclerc 92340 BOURG-LA-REINE

De : abdelghani ALIDRA [via Smalltalk] <ml-node+[hidden email]>
Envoyé : jeudi 26 novembre 2015 13:18
À : Brice GOVIN
Objet : catching exceptions

Hi everyBody,

Thanks

Abdelghani 

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.world.st/catching-exceptions-tp4863648.html
forum.world.st
catching exceptions. Hi everyBody, I know there is some kind of exceptions handling mechanism  in Pharo but I cant exactly  remember where to find it.Actually, I would like to execute specific code if...
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

abdelghani ALIDRA
In reply to this post by Skip Lentz-2
Hi Skip, 

It is working fine for me

Thank you. 

Abdelghani

De : Skip Lentz <[hidden email]>
À : abdelghani ALIDRA <[hidden email]>; Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Envoyé le : Jeudi 26 novembre 2015 13h38
Objet : Re: [Pharo-users] catching exceptions

Hi, you can use BlockClosure>>on:do:, like this:

[ #() atRandom ] on: Exception do: [ 1 ].

Personally, I would check the collection to be empty before calling.

On Nov 26, 2015, at 1:33 PM, abdelghani ALIDRA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyBody,

Thanks

Abdelghani 

ksi
Reply | Threaded
|

ksi
In reply to this post by abdelghani ALIDRA
Here is a complete chapter on Exceptions and Exception Handling

http://pharobooks.gforge.inria.fr/PharoByExampleTwo-Eng/latest/Exceptions.pdf

Have fun !