ccpainter

Howard Stearns-3
CCpainter worked very nicely for me.  (For folks who don't know, it's
like TPainter/Plopp, plus some cool extras mentioned under 5, below.)

This is what I did:

1. Squeak-desktop-World->Open->Monticello Browser

2. + Repsitory -> HTTP. Wipe out what's there and put:
MCHttpRepository
     location: 'http://jabberwocky.croquetproject.org:8889/
PublicContributions'
     user: ''
     password: ''
Accept.  Note that's Jabberwocky, above.

3. select Wisconsin on the left, and Wisconsin-daf.151.mcz on the right.
Load.
You need that to hook CCPainter into the menu. (replacing New->Sketch
in the KAT demo menu)

4. Aelect dafHacks-CCPainter on the left, and defHacks-CCPainter-daf.
22.mcz on the right.
Load.

5. What works:
+  The color ring, plus the black and white choose pen colors, while
the palette lets you pick at finer gain.
+ "No" picks a transparent value as "color".
+ Undo does one at a time from this particular opening of the tool.
Very nice.
+  Clear clears everything
++ Cancel exits the Tweak window without making anything in-world.
++ OK saves just the 2D texture as if it were created out-of-Croquet
and then dragged in.
++ Plump inflates it as in TPainter or Plopp.
++ Map treats the sketch like a topographical diagram and creates a
terrain.
+ Save puts the 2D picture (in the requested format!) in Content/
Sketches.  Very nice!

Here's the coolest part: whatever you create, 2D or 3D, has "Repaint
Texture" added to the object's context menu (e.g., apple-click),
which opens the CCPainter on the same texture. (It creates a NEW
object when you do OK/Plump/Map, so you might want to delete the
original.)

Whether put into world as 2D or 3D, the results is a "normal" object
in KAT, meaning that you can move/resize/rotate 2D stuff by it's
frame, or 3D stuff by mouse-over and choosing '+', and then move/
resize/rotate with the 3D editor. Very nice!

6. Some things I couldn't figure out (bugs?):
-  Selecting a different pen size (the sized circles) DOES work, but
the icon doesn't change to point to the new size.
- I couldn't find a 'fill' tool, to fill in the region with color.
- 'Load' gave me 'InvalidDirectoryError'
- Opening on an external, e.g., jpeg, texture seems to be just blank
within CCPainter. (Whether 'Repaint Texture' on a picture dragged in,
or using 'Load' from within CCPainter.)
- You can sometimes get the Tweak painter window bigger than than the
Croquet window, which makes it hard to cancel/save, etc.

-H

On Nov 17, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Rich White wrote (off list):

> I have followed the tutorial to getting
> CCpainter to replace Tpainter and for some reason it doesn't work

Re: ccpainter

David Faught
Hi, a couple of notes below.

On 11/18/07, Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
> CCpainter worked very nicely for me.  (For folks who don't know, it's
> like TPainter/Plopp, plus some cool extras mentioned under 5, below.)
>
> This is what I did:

> 5. What works:
> +  The color ring, plus the black and white choose pen colors, while
> the palette lets you pick at finer gain.

I remember having some problems with the finer grained palette and I'm
thinking that some of the updates in the Jabberwocky repository fixed
this.  So it may not work in a non-updated SDK image.

> + "No" picks a transparent value as "color".
> + Undo does one at a time from this particular opening of the tool.
> Very nice.
> +  Clear clears everything
> ++ Cancel exits the Tweak window without making anything in-world.
> ++ OK saves just the 2D texture as if it were created out-of-Croquet
> and then dragged in.
> ++ Plump inflates it as in TPainter or Plopp.
> ++ Map treats the sketch like a topographical diagram and creates a
> terrain.
> + Save puts the 2D picture (in the requested format!) in Content/
> Sketches.  Very nice!
>
> Here's the coolest part: whatever you create, 2D or 3D, has "Repaint
> Texture" added to the object's context menu (e.g., apple-click),
> which opens the CCPainter on the same texture. (It creates a NEW
> object when you do OK/Plump/Map, so you might want to delete the
> original.)
>
> Whether put into world as 2D or 3D, the results is a "normal" object
> in KAT, meaning that you can move/resize/rotate 2D stuff by it's
> frame, or 3D stuff by mouse-over and choosing '+', and then move/
> resize/rotate with the 3D editor. Very nice!
>
> 6. Some things I couldn't figure out (bugs?):
> -  Selecting a different pen size (the sized circles) DOES work, but
> the icon doesn't change to point to the new size.

Yeah, I never fixed this.  The different sizes do work, as you mentioned.

> - I couldn't find a 'fill' tool, to fill in the region with color.

Howard, you mentioned this a long time ago, and I'm wondering if you
need the Tweak fix that Andreas provided in Mantis Tweak problem 6393
at http://bugs.squeak.org/main_page.php.  Take a look at the
screenshot attached to that item and tell me if that is or isn't the
problem.  There is a fix attached too that hasn't made its way into
the repository updates yet.

> - 'Load' gave me 'InvalidDirectoryError'

As you mentioned above, the 'Save' button saves into the
Content/Sketches directory, and I believe creates it if it doesn't
already exist.  This is also the default directory for loads, so if
you try to load before you save without first creating this directory,
you will get this error.  Does that sound like a plausible
explanation?

> - Opening on an external, e.g., jpeg, texture seems to be just blank
> within CCPainter. (Whether 'Repaint Texture' on a picture dragged in,
> or using 'Load' from within CCPainter.)

I don't recall this problem.  I'll have to take a look.

> - You can sometimes get the Tweak painter window bigger than than the
> Croquet window, which makes it hard to cancel/save, etc.

I though that I had this all worked out, but I did most of the testing
with the  Collaborative image.  I'll take a look at this too.

> -H
>
> On Nov 17, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Rich White wrote (off list):

> > I have followed the tutorial to getting
> > CCpainter to replace Tpainter and for some reason it doesn't work

Just to be clear, when the CCPainter enhancements specifically for the
KAT demo were done, the install method for CCPainter changed a bit.
The older Flash movie that shows the install is out of date.  The
rather minimal instructions for installing the current KAT-oriented
version are on the wiki page (a tab at the top) of the CroquetSource
repository at
http://jabberwocky.croquetproject.org:8889/PublicContributions
Howard's explanation in the earlier version of this note was more
detailed.  Thanks Howard!

Dave

Re: ccpainter

Howard Stearns-3

On Nov 19, 2007, at 7:32 AM, David Faught wrote:

> Hi, a couple of notes below.
>
> On 11/18/07, Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> CCpainter worked very nicely for me.  (For folks who don't know, it's
>> like TPainter/Plopp, plus some cool extras mentioned under 5, below.)
>>
>> This is what I did:
>
>> 5. What works:
>> +  The color ring, plus the black and white choose pen colors, while
>> the palette lets you pick at finer gain.
>
> I remember having some problems with the finer grained palette and I'm
> thinking that some of the updates in the Jabberwocky repository fixed
> this.  So it may not work in a non-updated SDK image.

It works for me, although not quite kid-proof. You have to hold
things down for a moment and wait, otherwise the color is wrong.

>> + "No" picks a transparent value as "color".
>> + Undo does one at a time from this particular opening of the tool.
>> Very nice.
>> +  Clear clears everything
>> ++ Cancel exits the Tweak window without making anything in-world.
>> ++ OK saves just the 2D texture as if it were created out-of-Croquet
>> and then dragged in.
>> ++ Plump inflates it as in TPainter or Plopp.
>> ++ Map treats the sketch like a topographical diagram and creates a
>> terrain.
>> + Save puts the 2D picture (in the requested format!) in Content/
>> Sketches.  Very nice!
>>
>> Here's the coolest part: whatever you create, 2D or 3D, has "Repaint
>> Texture" added to the object's context menu (e.g., apple-click),
>> which opens the CCPainter on the same texture. (It creates a NEW
>> object when you do OK/Plump/Map, so you might want to delete the
>> original.)
>>
>> Whether put into world as 2D or 3D, the results is a "normal" object
>> in KAT, meaning that you can move/resize/rotate 2D stuff by it's
>> frame, or 3D stuff by mouse-over and choosing '+', and then move/
>> resize/rotate with the 3D editor. Very nice!
>>
>> 6. Some things I couldn't figure out (bugs?):
>> -  Selecting a different pen size (the sized circles) DOES work, but
>> the icon doesn't change to point to the new size.
>
> Yeah, I never fixed this.  The different sizes do work, as you
> mentioned.
>
>> - I couldn't find a 'fill' tool, to fill in the region with color.
>
> Howard, you mentioned this a long time ago, and I'm wondering if you
> need the Tweak fix that Andreas provided in Mantis Tweak problem 6393
> at http://bugs.squeak.org/main_page.php.  Take a look at the
> screenshot attached to that item and tell me if that is or isn't the
> problem.  There is a fix attached too that hasn't made its way into
> the repository updates yet.

Ah, excellent. Yes, fixed by the patch at

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6393

>> - 'Load' gave me 'InvalidDirectoryError'
>
> As you mentioned above, the 'Save' button saves into the
> Content/Sketches directory, and I believe creates it if it doesn't
> already exist.  This is also the default directory for loads, so if
> you try to load before you save without first creating this directory,
> you will get this error.  Does that sound like a plausible
> explanation?

Yes, I don't get an error on load if Content/Sketches is created
first by save.

However, the following still occurs.

>> - Opening on an external, e.g., jpeg, texture seems to be just blank
>> within CCPainter. (Whether 'Repaint Texture' on a picture dragged in,
>> or using 'Load' from within CCPainter.)
>
> I don't recall this problem.  I'll have to take a look.

I just noticed that gif seems to be ok, so it might just be an issue
with some formats.