changing fonts

Mark Volkmann
I'd like to try a different font, at least for the edit pane in the
browser. When I select appearance...system fonts...default text font
from the World menu, I see fonts from Accuat to ComicSansMS ... only
13 fonts. How do I get to fonts after ComicSansMS?

---
Mark Volkmann

Re: changing fonts

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd like to try a different font, at least for the edit pane in the browser. When I select appearance...system fonts...default text font from the World menu, I see fonts from Accuat to ComicSansMS ... only 13 fonts. How do I get to fonts after ComicSansMS?

Hi Mark.

You need to install them first. Download a font from somewhere (e.g. a .ttf file), and select it in Squeak's "file list" tool. You can then install the font and start using it.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: changing fonts

Rob Rothwell
I had no idea you could install a TTF!!!

On the other hand, the FreeType package makes pretty good looking fonts and gives you access to the fonts loaded on your computer...at a steeper memory price, I think.

I'm not sure what the difference is between loading a TTF as described and using FreeType, but, for example, a 9 point Verdana using FreeType is about the same size as a 12 point Verdana loaded manually.

BTW--anyone know how to uninstall a font loaded from the file list?

Rob

On Sep 28, 2008, at 9:36 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd like to try a different font, at least for the edit pane in the browser. When I select appearance...system fonts...default text font from the World menu, I see fonts from Accuat to ComicSansMS ... only 13 fonts. How do I get to fonts after ComicSansMS?

Hi Mark.

You need to install them first. Download a font from somewhere (e.g. a .ttf file), and select it in Squeak's "file list" tool. You can then install the font and start using it.

Thanks! That worked.

Under Appearances...System Fonts..., which menu item controls the text in the browser edit pane? I thought it would "code font...", but that didn't change it and neither did "default text font...".

---
Mark Volkmann

Re: changing fonts

Rob Rothwell
After I load FreeType, I execute:

font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Verdana' pointSize: 9 emphasis: 0.
Preferences setListFontTo: font.
Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
Preferences setCodeFontTo: font.
Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Verdana' pointSize: 10 emphasis: 0.
Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: font.

So I am guessing (I don't remember) it is the SystemFont.  ListFont controls all the upper Browser panes, though...

Rob

On Sep 28, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

Sorry...you probably had it right with code font.  But the font wont change until you close the Browser and open a new one...

Ah ... thanks!  Of the fonts installed by default, for me Accujen size 12 looks the best.

[...]

Markus Fritsche
Michael van der Gulik schrieb:

> You need to install them first. Download a font from somewhere (e.g. a
> .ttf file), and select it in Squeak's "file list" tool. You can then
> install the font and start using it.

Is there a way to stop the "antialiasing" for TTF-Fonts? Verdana looks
great on LCDs but only if not blurred.