classboxes in squeak

rettich
For a project on university I've read the paper "Classboxes: Controlling Visibility of Class
Extensions" by Alexandre Bergel, Stéphane Ducasse, Oscar Nierstrasz and Roel Wuyts (http://scg.unibe.ch/research/classboxes). Now I would like to test some examples with classboxes in Squeak. Therefore I was looking for the implementation, but I could not find a download link (only some dead links like http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/classbox.zip). Is there a possibilty to get the code or a squeak image with included code for classboxes?
cbc

Re: classboxes in squeak

cbc
If you open up a Squeak image, select Open.. SqueakMap Catalog, you should see in the list Classbox and ClassboxBrowser.  The code appears to date back to 2005/2004, but should be available to load and try out.

Note that I haven't done this - you may (or may not) need an older version of Squeak to get this code working.

Thanks,
-Chris

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM, rettich <[hidden email]> wrote:
For a project on university I've read the paper "Classboxes: Controlling
Visibility of Class
Extensions" by Alexandre Bergel, Stéphane Ducasse, Oscar Nierstrasz and Roel
Wuyts (http://scg.unibe.ch/research/classboxes). Now I would like to test
some examples with classboxes in Squeak. Therefore I was looking for the
implementation, but I could not find a download link (only some dead links
like http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/classbox.zip). Is
there a possibilty to get the code or a squeak image with included code for
classboxes?

Re: classboxes in squeak

Chris Muller-3
> Note that I haven't done this - you may (or may not) need an older version
> of Squeak to get this code working.

To this point, one of the fields you will see in the SqueakMap entry
is the particular version of Squeak it is meant for.  Past versions of
Squeak are available at squeak.org.

Re: classboxes in squeak

rettich
Chris Cunningham wrote
The code appears to date
back to 2005/2004, but should be available to load and try out.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM, rettich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For a project on university I've read the paper "Classboxes: Controlling
> Visibility of Class
> Extensions" by Alexandre Bergel, Stéphane Ducasse, Oscar Nierstrasz and
> Roel
> Wuyts (http://scg.unibe.ch/research/classboxes). Now I would like to test
> some examples with classboxes in Squeak. Therefore I was looking for the
> implementation, but I could not find a download link (only some dead links
> like http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/classbox.zip). Is
> there a possibilty to get the code or a squeak image with included code for
> classboxes?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly the paper was published in 2007. Therefore a code-version from 2005 seems to be something else. Nevertheless I tryed to load this version with an old version of squeak, but the given link for the Download in the SqueakMap Package Loader (http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/Classbox/Classbox-ab.184.mcz) is dead.

Re: classboxes in squeak

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 November 2012 13:56, rettich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Cunningham wrote
>> The code appears to date
>> back to 2005/2004, but should be available to load and try out.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM, rettich &lt;
>
>> c.ramson@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> For a project on university I've read the paper "Classboxes: Controlling
>>> Visibility of Class
>>> Extensions" by Alexandre Bergel, Stéphane Ducasse, Oscar Nierstrasz and
>>> Roel
>>> Wuyts (http://scg.unibe.ch/research/classboxes). Now I would like to test
>>> some examples with classboxes in Squeak. Therefore I was looking for the
>>> implementation, but I could not find a download link (only some dead
>>> links
>>> like http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/classbox.zip). Is
>>> there a possibilty to get the code or a squeak image with included code
>>> for
>>> classboxes?
>>>

>>> --
>>>

> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly the paper was published in 2007.
> Therefore a code-version from 2005 seems to be something else. Nevertheless
> I tryed to load this version with an old version of squeak, but the given
> link for the Download in the SqueakMap Package Loader
> (http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/Classbox/Classbox-ab.184.mcz) is dead.

They also implemented Classboxes for Java and .Net, which likely came
after their initial Squeak/Pharo implementation. Classboxes came up in
conversation recently on the Pharo list
(http://forum.world.st/ClassBoxes-bitrotted-or-usable-td4632726.html)
but I see that conversation didn't mention where one might find the
latest version.

It wouldn't hurt asking Alexandre Bergel directly.

frank

Re: classboxes in squeak

Karl Ramberg
Search on squeaksource.com:

http://www.squeaksource.com/Classbox

Karl

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 November 2012 13:56, rettich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Chris Cunningham wrote
>>> The code appears to date
>>> back to 2005/2004, but should be available to load and try out.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM, rettich &lt;
>>
>>> c.ramson@

>> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly the paper was published in 2007.
>> Therefore a code-version from 2005 seems to be something else. Nevertheless
>> I tryed to load this version with an old version of squeak, but the given
>> link for the Download in the SqueakMap Package Loader
>> (http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/Classbox/Classbox-ab.184.mcz) is dead.
>
> They also implemented Classboxes for Java and .Net, which likely came
> after their initial Squeak/Pharo implementation. Classboxes came up in
> conversation recently on the Pharo list
> (http://forum.world.st/ClassBoxes-bitrotted-or-usable-td4632726.html)
> but I see that conversation didn't mention where one might find the
> latest version.
>
> It wouldn't hurt asking Alexandre Bergel directly.
>
> frank

Re: classboxes in squeak

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 November 2012 17:41, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Search on squeaksource.com:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Classbox

But the latest commit there has a version number lower than 184, the
latest version in the now-missing kilana repository. Otherwise I'd
have pointed rettich to that repo already :)

frank

> Karl
>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 8 November 2012 13:56, rettich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Chris Cunningham wrote

>>> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly the paper was published in 2007.
>>> Therefore a code-version from 2005 seems to be something else. Nevertheless
>>> I tryed to load this version with an old version of squeak, but the given
>>> link for the Download in the SqueakMap Package Loader
>>> (http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/Classbox/Classbox-ab.184.mcz) is dead.
>>
>> They also implemented Classboxes for Java and .Net, which likely came
>> after their initial Squeak/Pharo implementation. Classboxes came up in
>> conversation recently on the Pharo list
>> (http://forum.world.st/ClassBoxes-bitrotted-or-usable-td4632726.html)
>> but I see that conversation didn't mention where one might find the
>> latest version.
>>
>> It wouldn't hurt asking Alexandre Bergel directly.
>>
>> frank

Re: classboxes in squeak

Masato Sumi
Did you try http://scg.unibe.ch/download/classboxes/ ?