clipboard for other media types

Takashi Yamamiya

Hello,

I'm working about clipboard for OLPC Squeak (based on Fedora Core
linux) to support multiple media type like image and rich text,
instead of plain text only. I would like to know if such feature
have already been available for other platforms.

Especially, I remember that Croquet and Tweak have such methods.
There are #primitiveClipboardAt: and #primitiveClipboardAt:put: in
CClipboard, and ClipboardPlugin. It is for dealing with clipboard with
any media type, isn't it?

I couldn't find source code for ClipboarPlugin in squeakvm.org. But I
think it is good to have same interface among various platforms to
handle external clipboard. So I want know current status and source
code of ClipboardPlugin for such feature.

Thank you,

- Takashi

Re: clipboard for other media types

Michael Rueger-6

Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working about clipboard for OLPC Squeak (based on Fedora Core
> linux) to support multiple media type like image and rich text,
> instead of plain text only. I would like to know if such feature
> have already been available for other platforms.

Have you looked at the image side work done in Sophie?

Michael

Re: clipboard for other media types

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 24, 2007, at 10:53 , Michael Rueger wrote:

> Takashi Yamamiya wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm working about clipboard for OLPC Squeak (based on Fedora Core
>> linux) to support multiple media type like image and rich text,
>> instead of plain text only. I would like to know if such feature
>> have already been available for other platforms.
>
> Have you looked at the image side work done in Sophie?

You mean ExtendedClipboardInterface? Might be a starting point, yes.
The double-dispatching is a bit questionable but that would be simple
to fix.

For the VM-side, Sophie uses an odd mixture of
ClipboardExtendedPlugin and FFI code - and how does that plugin
relate to ClipboardPlugin? I'd think we want just one plugin.

What Takashi forgot to mention is that the preferred method of
interacting with the Sugar clipboard is by drag-and-drop (it has
multiple entries), so we need support for dropping images and text
(and not just files as now), as well a support for dragging stuff
*from* Squeak.

Anybody got an idea for that? As far as I know, Sophie does not
support this, right?

- Bert -

Re: clipboard for other media types

Takashi Yamamiya

Michael and Bert --

Oh, I forgot to look at Sophie. Thank you. ExtendedClipboardInterface
seems to have good structure. I'm going to start from there.
But yes, still I have no idea about dropping images and text to/from
Squeak.
- Takashi

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2007, at 10:53 , Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> Takashi Yamamiya wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm working about clipboard for OLPC Squeak (based on Fedora Core
>>> linux) to support multiple media type like image and rich text,
>>> instead of plain text only. I would like to know if such feature
>>> have already been available for other platforms.
>>
>> Have you looked at the image side work done in Sophie?
>
> You mean ExtendedClipboardInterface? Might be a starting point, yes. The
> double-dispatching is a bit questionable but that would be simple to fix.
>
> For the VM-side, Sophie uses an odd mixture of ClipboardExtendedPlugin
> and FFI code - and how does that plugin relate to ClipboardPlugin? I'd
> think we want just one plugin.
>
> What Takashi forgot to mention is that the preferred method of
> interacting with the Sugar clipboard is by drag-and-drop (it has
> multiple entries), so we need support for dropping images and text (and
> not just files as now), as well a support for dragging stuff *from* Squeak.
>
> Anybody got an idea for that? As far as I know, Sophie does not support
> this, right?

Re: clipboard for other media types

Takashi Yamamiya

>> Have you looked at the image side work done in Sophie?
>
> You mean ExtendedClipboardInterface? Might be a starting point, yes. The
> double-dispatching is a bit questionable but that would be simple to fix.
>
> For the VM-side, Sophie uses an odd mixture of ClipboardExtendedPlugin
> and FFI code - and how does that plugin relate to ClipboardPlugin? I'd
> think we want just one plugin.

Where can I get a source code of ClipboardExtendedPlugin or
ClipboardPlugin (Is ClipboardExtendedPlugin just for Macintosh specific plugin?)
I would like to choose a common interface for X11 clipboard.

Cheers,
- Takashi

Re: clipboard for other media types

johnmci

I've check the changeset, the plugin code, the support code, the
xcode project into the mac OS source tree in SVN
look in the plugins/ClipboardExtended

On Apr 30, 2007, at 5:52 AM, Takashi Yamamiya wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> Have you looked at the image side work done in Sophie?
>> You mean ExtendedClipboardInterface? Might be a starting point,
>> yes. The double-dispatching is a bit questionable but that would
>> be simple to fix.
>> For the VM-side, Sophie uses an odd mixture of
>> ClipboardExtendedPlugin and FFI code - and how does that plugin
>> relate to ClipboardPlugin? I'd think we want just one plugin.
>
> Where can I get a source code of ClipboardExtendedPlugin or
> ClipboardPlugin (Is ClipboardExtendedPlugin just for Macintosh
> specific plugin?)
> I would like to choose a common interface for X11 clipboard.
>
> Cheers,
> - Takashi

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>