cobalt saving and loading worlds : an interpretation of significance

1 message Options

cobalt saving and loading worlds : an interpretation of significance

Paul Sheldon-2
One of the most fundamental and perhaps, at times,
most difficult
things to do in programming is to figure out how to
save a file
to be loaded later.

The world Americo saved, DMU.c3d, has binary in it;
the image files are text only! Americo uses PC, I see
the space on my mac!

Croquet, an evolving operating system, saved images
that were
sort of like operating systems on top of a virtual
machine
that loaded and saved them.

When people would modify their image files, these
might "crash
against each other" when they tried to collaborate in
worlds.
It was as if they made their own version.

I try to keep around the original image and experiment
with my own images and don't communicate with my own
image.
I haven't, in fact, communicated, except with a
central server,
though now, because of post :

http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=15861173&framed=y

I hope I may.

But, now, I could try sticking up a world on my web
pages for folks to all visit at.

When different images used KAT morph out of the morph
box
(as a world selection) and talked to the server, if
they weren't in the
same version, the server might crash or the more junk
from
their crashing and leaving stuff meant the slower you
were to get on.

Now, we have software that saves spaces. One can play
with a version
rather than make one's own version and yet save work
to show others.