code completion

gruntfuttuck
In one of the images I played around with it had code completion, I don't remember which version it was. Is there a way to enable it in v3.9?

Regards, Grunt

Re: code completion

Mathieu SUEN
Yes get it from damien's image: http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/

        Mth

On Jul 21, 2007, at 6:50 PM, gruntfuttuck wrote:

> In one of the images I played around with it had code completion, I
> don't
> remember which version it was. Is there a way to enable it in v3.9?
>
> Regards, Grunt

Re: code completion

Herbert König
Hello Grunt,

g> In one of the images I played around with it had code completion, I don't
g> remember which version it was. Is there a way to enable it in v3.9?

if you want to keep your image (and that is 3.7 or younger which it
is) try SqueakMapPackageLoader from the Open Menu and get Shout
(SyntaxHighlightingAsyOUType) RoelTyper and eCompletion. Parts of it
may be in 3.9 already. In this case SM shows an asterisk in front of
the package.

Otherwise follow Math's tip.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: code completion

gruntfuttuck
Hello
Thanks for the replys.

What I'm after is to add this to my existing image rather than use a new image.

I see that RoelTyper and eCompletion aren't guaranteed to be compatible with my images v3.9. How important is it to only use compatible packages?

If I save an images before installing a package, then close the image with out saving will it be as if  I had never in stalled the package?

Thanks, Grunt

Re: code completion

Herbert König
Hello Grunt,

g> I see that RoelTyper and eCompletion aren't guaranteed to be compatible with
g> my images v3.9. How important is it to only use compatible packages?

I guess you have to try. As you suggest yourself, you can always go
back if you just quit. And just in case you don't find the problems a
new package might introduce early, take a copy of .image AND!
.changes. So you can go back even after a save.

BTW if you manage to blow up an image (I already did) you can take an
older image + changes and open the .changes of the blown up image with
a file list. There you get the options of browsing the changes and
recover them. So actually it's harder to loose ones work in Smalltalk
than in other languages.

OTOH eCompletion is widely used and RoelTyper is a prerequisite for it,
so they should work. Before installing you might look at SqueakSource
if there are newer versions. Not everything what is developed there is
published to SqueakMap.

Hey, I'm a bit verbose tonight :-)

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: code completion

gruntfuttuck
Thanks for the info, all.

I now have code completion working in v3.9 and so far the image seems stable. I installed eCompletion and all of it's dependencies and that was all there was to it.

Thank, Grunt