cog support for linux framebuffer!

mayuresh
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: cog support for linux framebuffer!

Herbert König
Hi Mayuresh,

you can run Squeak headless in a non-X11 environment using RFB.

I use rfb-ikp.8.mcz on a virtual server, tunneling TightVNC through SSH.

I haven't yet tried on my Raspberry Pi because Running Squeak under X is
ok for me, doing development for the Pi on a Laptop.
But I will do that when I put the Pi outside where I can't connect a
monitor.

This I how I modified the Squeak all in one script to run headless on
the server without X:
exec "$BIN/squeak" "-vm-display-null" "-headless" "-nosound" "$@"

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 06.09.2014 um 12:34 schrieb Mayuresh Kathe:

> hello, would the new 'vm', i.e. cog, support using the linux
> framebuffer instead of relying on the x windowing system?
>
> please take a look at; http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3484
> it has clear mention about the squeak on linux fb project.
>
> it would be nice to have squeak run atop the linux kernel directly on
> resource constrained hardware.
>
> best,
>
> ~mayuresh

Re: cog support for linux framebuffer!

Bert Freudenberg
On 06.09.2014, at 12:34, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello, would the new 'vm', i.e. cog, support using the linux framebuffer instead of relying on the x windowing system?

It should, yes.

> please take a look at; http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3484
> it has clear mention about the squeak on linux fb project.
>
> it would be nice to have squeak run atop the linux kernel directly on resource constrained hardware.

Indeed, and the last time I tried, it worked. Ian's fbdev-driver is in Cog, too:

http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment