compelling Metacello to update before analyzing a Configuration with nested versions

compelling Metacello to update before analyzing a Configuration with nested versions

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Dale,

I brought this up a couple months ago and left thinking I could just
make the ConfigurationOfSeaside30 dependent upon Metacello
1.0beta31.1.5.  But I'm finding that when I load a group from a nested
version the load process stops with a 'name not found' error if the
version of Metacello in the image doesn't understand nested versions.

E.g. if you take a Pharo-1.4 stable image and run

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
        load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project version:'3.1.0')
load:'Zinc'

It will claim that the name 'Zinc' cannot be found.

If you update to Metacello 1.0beta31.1.5 then it will load Zinc no
problem.

Is there a in a Configuration to say 'update to Metacello version
1.0beta31.1.5 before beginning to analyze this Configuration?

The #preLoadDoit is too late.

Thanks

Paul

Re: compelling Metacello to update before analyzing a Configuration with nested versions

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

I'm afraid that it takes a two step process ... the new metacello version is needed to just read the configuration and interpret the nested versions correctly:)

So you need to upgrade Metacello before loading from Seaside ...

IIRC, we added the nested versions to avoid duplication of information in the specifications, so we might have to avoid using nested versions until the new version of Metacello becomes common place ...