connectivity to the croquet colloaborative Re: Object creation within Croquet...

12

Re: Internet

Erik Anderson-9
Okay, so it sounds like we're not dealing with something like FTP or one of the more recent games that after the discovery port is connected to then negotiates a half dozen other ports to connect through.

The random assignment of the port also means that whoever is hosting the space is going to have to notify (and restart) his router every time he gets a new postcard (with a different port number on it).  As long as only this one port is in use, the other participants should be able to join without modifying their routers (as NAT routers tend to be a little more intelligent about outgoing connections).

Assuming that the croquet master is also running a jabber server, ports 4222/tcp and 4223/tcp will also need to be forwarded to anyone that attempting to directly connect to a jabber server (but not if everyone is using a public jabber server, which seems like a more sane option).  I'm guessing that in-world chat uses the same connection described in the previous paragraph?

I'm guessing that the LAN broadcast discovery packet is on a specific port (for others to find) and doesn't pick a random port.  Not that useful for routed connections though.

So, does this all sound right?

On 8/10/07, David Faught <[hidden email]> wrote:
I believe you are correct about Jabber's requirements.  Please refer to
http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/WAN/LAN%2C_Connecting_and_Discovery for
a discussion of the different connection techniques currently available.

There is no one Croquet connection or connection type.  Several of the
different demos use different strategies as discussed in the link above and
therefore have different port requirements.  And there are a few more yet to be
developed.

Re: Internet

LawsonEnglish
David Faught wrote:

[misunderstanding on my part and correction stnip]

> If the 2 machines are at 2 different homes behind 2 different home-use
> routers, each with their own private local network, the problem gets
> harder and some messing around with the router configuration of the
> first "host" machine is needed.
>
> Does that help anything?

I believe ti does thanks.

Lawson