croquet and multi user input?

Janet Hawtin
Hi folks

Saw a presentation on this last night
http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/
It reminded me of croquet because it redefines what an input device
can be and also means that multiple users could be interacting with
single items, documents, applications, and that this would require
different kinds of thinking about WIMP model stuff. User permissions
around
input devices and RWX permissions on files related to shared ownership?

Peter is talking at the Linux Conference in Melbourne at the end of
January 2008.
http://linux.conf.au/programme/detail?TalkID=88

Cheers
Janet

Re: croquet and multi user input?

Paul Sheldon-2

--- Janet Hawtin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Saw a presentation on this last night
> http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/

Microvision touted augmented reality with glasses that
allowed
you too see through the display of computer
information
to the real world and the computers would be wearable
while you were in that real world rather than pinned
to a desk
or chair.

> It reminded me of croquet because it redefines what
> an input device
> can be

When you aren't pinned down, you want another sort of
input
device. I get it.

> and also means that multiple users could be
> interacting with
> single items, documents, applications, and that this
> would require
> different kinds of thinking about WIMP model stuff.

googling "WIMP model" VR got me :
http://www.ub.uib.no/elpub/2003/h/704001/Hovedoppgave.pdf
with hit brief :
"Corresponding to the graphical WIMP model (windows,
icons, menus, and pointing)..."

I am, in particular, interested in ultimately getting
a debugged
VR interaction through a phone line and single cheap
computer
for a family of four kids without a huge budget.

> User permissions
> around
> input devices and RWX permissions on files related
> to shared ownership?

I suppose here that you are amplifying into a question
what a WIMP model might mean.

> Peter is talking at the Linux Conference in
> Melbourne at the end of
> January 2008.
> http://linux.conf.au/programme/detail?TalkID=88

Scanned this, interesting.

There was a fellow Paul something or other who did VR
at
some university in Australia and they had 3D
auditorium displays
long before Texas Instruments DLP around here.
His code was used in Apple sample code for me to
study.
Getting payoff in VR teaches me obscure coding
organization
that empowers my problem solving abilities.

I poked around Stanford University and found a book by
IBM
about alternative input devices. Such stuff has to be
researched
to create new main markets.

Cool.