[croquet-dev] "Load avatar with motion"

haggai
Hi,

I was following Mark's tutorial on exporting avatars from poser to croquet. I
couldn't find the "Load avatar with motion" command. (I am using the sdk 1.0 at
the croquet site) Can anyone direct me to to the right place? (Hedgehog?) Is
there an image or do I need to compile from scratch, and if so - how?

Thank you in advance,

haggai

Re: [croquet-dev] "Load avatar with motion"

Howard Stearns
Mark has been busy doing good stuff and trying to keep warm.

The motion stuff is in the Avatar menu of the "Simple Demo (Master)".
This is in the upcoming release (or if you can't wait, the Monticello
packages in the repository, or the Collaborative distro).

"Compiling from scratch" is sort of Non Sequitur for Croquet and
Squeak.  You have the code or you don't. If you have it, you have
source, and it is compiled. See the ref's on Squeak.

On Feb 5, 2007, at 3:54 PM, haggai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was following Mark's tutorial on exporting avatars from poser to
> croquet. I
> couldn't find the "Load avatar with motion" command. (I am using
> the sdk 1.0 at
> the croquet site) Can anyone direct me to to the right place?
> (Hedgehog?) Is
> there an image or do I need to compile from scratch, and if so - how?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> haggai

(no subject)

haggai
ok, so I finally made some progress using the collaborative package. Thank you
Howard!

Now. running into some error when trying to import from poser. The avatar is
not being imported. My first guess is that this is actually on the Poser side.
Is it possible that the obj file I exported "fused" all the faces to a single
mesh?  Can someone who used this successfully tell me what version of poser
they have? (I am using version 6 and its possible that the alias-wavefront obj
exporter does not know to keep the hierarchy in this version.)

haggai

Re:

Howard Stearns
For what it's worth: I used Poser 5 successfully with the "Simple Demo". I have
NOT tested the animated avatars with the KAT demo.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re:

Ric Moore
On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 09:17 -0600, Howard Stearns wrote:
> For what it's worth: I used Poser 5 successfully with the "Simple Demo". I have
> NOT tested the animated avatars with the KAT demo.
Howard, which of the demos does not require networking to another
machine? Is any of them a standalone demo using local files??

We're still working on getting past the Red Screen of Death, as I now
call it. :) I think I've beaten the openGL problem with Linux by
installing the software openGL packages instead of expecting Croquet to
utilize my firmware version on my nVidia card. Now it just seems to be a
network problem and I'm getting mouse errors at times. I am passing
almost all of the tests. There seems to be several dead packages like
balloon that freezes up everything rock solid. Can these just be
removed?

One more small annoyance, I have an object that has about three
Tools" area. Every time it crashed another "Loading----" with a progress
bar beneath it got added until I have three of them. I'd like to remove
it completely. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re:

Ed Boyce
Ric Moore wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 09:17 -0600, Howard Stearns wrote:
>> For what it's worth: I used Poser 5 successfully with the "Simple Demo".
>> I have
>> NOT tested the animated avatars with the KAT demo.
> Howard, which of the demos does not require networking to another
> machine? Is any of them a standalone demo using local files??
>
> We're still working on getting past the Red Screen of Death, as I now
> call it. :) I think I've beaten the openGL problem with Linux by
> installing the software openGL packages instead of expecting Croquet to
> utilize my firmware version on my nVidia card. Now it just seems to be a
> network problem and I'm getting mouse errors at times. I am passing
> almost all of the tests. There seems to be several dead packages like
> balloon that freezes up everything rock solid. Can these just be
> removed?

Those (mousing message balloons) may be borne out of OpenAL init errors.

OpenGL hardware acceleration is also not optional.  Without it, you can't
expect to get more than a few frames per second, and the macheine can be
expected to lag behind on all sorts of processes.

    -- Ed

> One more small annoyance, I have an object that has about three
> Tools" area. Every time it crashed another "Loading----" with a progress
> bar beneath it got added until I have three of them. I'd like to remove
> it completely. Ric

> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net

Re:

Howard Stearns
Ric Moore wrote:
> Howard, which of the demos does not require networking to another
> machine? Is any of them a standalone demo using local files??

All of the demos labeled "(Master)" in the Squeak object browser can be built
locally.  The KAT demo prompts for a router address, and if you enter an empty
string it also builds locally.

But even if a demo builds the content locally, it still advertises itself on the
network, opening a socket, etc. There doesn't have to be anyone there to listen,
but the network software does have to be functioning.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology
mailto:[hidden email]
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re:

Joshua Gargus-2
As Ed says, OpenAL init errors may account for the mouse errors.  Try
applying the following changeset (which Mark has incorporated into
the upcoming release... thanks Mark).

Josh

On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Ed Boyce wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 09:17 -0600, Howard Stearns wrote:
>>> For what it's worth: I used Poser 5 successfully with the "Simple
>>> Demo".
>>> I have
>>> NOT tested the animated avatars with the KAT demo.
>> Howard, which of the demos does not require networking to another
>> machine? Is any of them a standalone demo using local files??
>>
>> We're still working on getting past the Red Screen of Death, as I now
>> call it. :) I think I've beaten the openGL problem with Linux by
>> installing the software openGL packages instead of expecting
>> Croquet to
>> utilize my firmware version on my nVidia card. Now it just seems
>> to be a
>> network problem and I'm getting mouse errors at times. I am passing
>> almost all of the tests. There seems to be several dead packages like
>> balloon that freezes up everything rock solid. Can these just be
>> removed?
>
> Those (mousing message balloons) may be borne out of OpenAL init
> errors.
>
> OpenGL hardware acceleration is also not optional.  Without it, you
> can't
> expect to get more than a few frames per second, and the macheine
> can be
> expected to lag behind on all sorts of processes.
>
>     -- Ed
>>
>> One more small annoyance, I have an object that has about three
>> Tools" area. Every time it crashed another "Loading----" with a
>> progress
>> bar beneath it got added until I have three of them. I'd like to
>> remove
>> it completely. Ric
>>

>> --
>> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
>> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
>> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
>> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
>> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
>> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
>> http://www.wayward4now.net

FixUnixOpenAL.1.cs.gz (526 bytes) Download Attachment

Re:

Karl-19
Joshua Gargus wrote:
> As Ed says, OpenAL init errors may account for the mouse errors.  Try
> applying the following changeset (which Mark has incorporated into the
> upcoming release... thanks Mark).
I still get the error on MacOSX 10.3.9 using the mac vm and the unix vm
on Croquet collaborative

Karl

Re:

Mark P. McCahill
Karl,

What happens if you try the Sailing Demo world?

My testing has been on a MacBook running 10.4.8 where things work
using the Mac VM.

On Feb 14, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Karl wrote:

> Joshua Gargus wrote:
>> As Ed says, OpenAL init errors may account for the mouse errors.
>> Try applying the following changeset (which Mark has incorporated
>> into the upcoming release... thanks Mark).
> I still get the error on MacOSX 10.3.9 using the mac vm and the
> unix vm on Croquet collaborative
>
> Karl

Re:

Karl-19
Mark P. McCahill wrote:
> Karl,
>
> What happens if you try the Sailing Demo world?
>
> My testing has been on a MacBook running 10.4.8 where things work
> using the Mac VM.
I have only tested on Croquet Collaborative 1.07.17.7.
I'll download regular Croquet and test.

Karl

> On Feb 14, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Karl wrote:
>
>> Joshua Gargus wrote:
>>> As Ed says, OpenAL init errors may account for the mouse errors.
>>> Try applying the following changeset (which Mark has incorporated
>>> into the upcoming release... thanks Mark).
>> I still get the error on MacOSX 10.3.9 using the mac vm and the unix
>> vm on Croquet collaborative
>>
>> Karl

Re:

Howard Stearns
Note that the Sailing Demo is present(1) in the Collaborative distro. That image
has the same projects and code as the SDK beta, but updated to include the
latest code from the repository at the time the distro was made (which is pretty
recent).

The VM shouldn't be different, but mistakes have been known to happen...

You can also try evaluating the following in a Workspace(2):
   OpenAL new makeCurrent isCurrent
This should answer true.

For non-recent versions of the OpenAL package (e.g., as distributed in the
original SDK beta), all bets are off.

-Howard

--------
Since Karl is using various VM, we know he knows Squeak stuff. But for
completeness for others:

(1) In any image, one way to run the Sailing Demo is to drag "Sailing (Master)"
from an object browser onto your grey Squeak desktop. (World menu -> objects
gives you an object browser, then select the Croquet category.) You should hear
the motor running for the fishing boat.

(2) World menu -> open... -> Workspace. Then type the code and do alt/apple-p.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Division of Information Technology
mailto:[hidden email]
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re:

Karl-19
Karl wrote:
> Mark P. McCahill wrote:
>> Karl,
>>
>> What happens if you try the Sailing Demo world?
I get this error with the Unix vm:

Error: Unable to find function address
14 February 2007 11:20:30 pm

VM: unix - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Croquet1.0beta [latest update: #2]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/karl/Desktop/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta
Trusted Dir /Users/karl/Desktop/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/secure
Untrusted Dir /Users/karl/Desktop/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/My Squeak

ExternalFunction class(Object)>>error:
    Receiver: ExternalFunction
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        aString:     'Unable to find function address'
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     ExternalObject
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#argTypes->a CompiledMethod
(261) #callingConven...etc...
        format:     136
        instanceVariables:     #('flags' 'argTypes')
        organization:     ('initialize-release' initialize)
('accessing' argTypes flags mod...etc...
        subclasses:     #(ExternalLibraryFunction)
        name:     #ExternalFunction
        classPool:     a Dictionary(#FFIErrorMessages->a
Dictionary(-1->'Callout mechanism ...etc...
        sharedPools:     an OrderedCollection(FFIConstants)
        environment:     a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
        category:     #'FFI-Kernel'

ExternalFunction class>>externalCallFailed
    Receiver: ExternalFunction
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        errCode:     13
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     ExternalObject
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#argTypes->a CompiledMethod
(261) #callingConven...etc...
        format:     136
        instanceVariables:     #('flags' 'argTypes')
        organization:     ('initialize-release' initialize)
('accessing' argTypes flags mod...etc...
        subclasses:     #(ExternalLibraryFunction)
        name:     #ExternalFunction
        classPool:     a Dictionary(#FFIErrorMessages->a
Dictionary(-1->'Callout mechanism ...etc...
        sharedPools:     an OrderedCollection(FFIConstants)
        environment:     a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
        category:     #'FFI-Kernel'

OpenALUnix(Object)>>externalCallFailed
    Receiver: an OpenALUnix
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        handle:     nil
        nameManager:     an OpenALNameManager

OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice:
    Receiver: an OpenALUnix
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        string:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
        handle:     nil
        nameManager:     an OpenALNameManager

--- The full stack ---
ExternalFunction class(Object)>>error:
ExternalFunction class>>externalCallFailed
OpenALUnix(Object)>>externalCallFailed
OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice:
OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>createContext
CroquetHarnessWithMenu(OpenALHarness)>>initialize
CroquetHarnessWithMenu>>initialize
CroquetHarnessWithMenu class(Behavior)>>new
SailingDemoMaster>>setup
[] in SailingDemoMaster(CroquetParticipant)>>step {[harness   ifNil:
[self setup]   ifNotNil: [harness step]]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
SailingDemoMaster(CroquetParticipant)>>step
SailingDemoMaster(BFDParticipant)>>step
SailingDemoMaster(CroquetParticipantWithMenu)>>step
SailingDemoMaster(Morph)>>stepAt:
StepMessage(MorphicAlarm)>>value:
WorldState>>runLocalStepMethodsIn:
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
PasteUpMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}

Re:

Andreas.Raab
Karl wrote:
> I get this error with the Unix vm:
>
> Error: Unable to find function address

This is actually a little more interesting than I thought at first. It
looks like we are actually loading the library successfully (otherwise
you would get an error saying "Unable to find library" or so) but the
actual lookup of the function fails. I would guess that this is most
likely a version mismatch - is perhaps alcOpenDevice a recent addition
to OpenAL, or are you running a somewhat outdated version of OpenAL?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Andreas Raab skrev:

> Karl wrote:
>> I get this error with the Unix vm:
>>
>> Error: Unable to find function address
>
> This is actually a little more interesting than I thought at first. It
> looks like we are actually loading the library successfully (otherwise
> you would get an error saying "Unable to find library" or so) but the
> actual lookup of the function fails. I would guess that this is most
> likely a version mismatch - is perhaps alcOpenDevice a recent addition
> to OpenAL, or are you running a somewhat outdated version of OpenAL?
It's the MacOSX version pointed to from OpenAL.org.

I noticed in OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice: there is a mention of
'OpenAL32.dll'

<apicall: void* 'alcOpenDevice' (byte*) module: 'OpenAL32.dll'>

I'm not sure such a file exist on the mac...

karl

> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
>> --- The full stack ---
>> ExternalFunction class(Object)>>error:
>> ExternalFunction class>>externalCallFailed
>> OpenALUnix(Object)>>externalCallFailed
>> OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice:
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>createContext
>> CroquetHarnessWithMenu(OpenALHarness)>>initialize
>> CroquetHarnessWithMenu>>initialize
>> CroquetHarnessWithMenu class(Behavior)>>new
>> SailingDemoMaster>>setup
>> [] in SailingDemoMaster(CroquetParticipant)>>step {[harness   ifNil:
>> [self setup]   ifNotNil: [harness step]]}
>> BlockContext>>ensure:
>> SailingDemoMaster(CroquetParticipant)>>step
>> SailingDemoMaster(BFDParticipant)>>step
>> SailingDemoMaster(CroquetParticipantWithMenu)>>step
>> SailingDemoMaster(Morph)>>stepAt:
>> StepMessage(MorphicAlarm)>>value:
>> WorldState>>runLocalStepMethodsIn:
>> WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
>> PasteUpMorph>>runStepMethods
>> WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
>> WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
>> PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
>> [] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
>> yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
>> [] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor
>> terminateActive]}

Re:

Karl-19
karl skrev:

> Andreas Raab skrev:
>> Karl wrote:
>>> I get this error with the Unix vm:
>>>
>>> Error: Unable to find function address
>>
>> This is actually a little more interesting than I thought at first.
>> It looks like we are actually loading the library successfully
>> (otherwise you would get an error saying "Unable to find library" or
>> so) but the actual lookup of the function fails. I would guess that
>> this is most likely a version mismatch - is perhaps alcOpenDevice a
>> recent addition to OpenAL, or are you running a somewhat outdated
>> version of OpenAL?
> It's the MacOSX version pointed to from OpenAL.org.
>
> I noticed in OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice: there is a mention of
> 'OpenAL32.dll'
>
> <apicall: void* 'alcOpenDevice' (byte*) module: 'OpenAL32.dll'>
>
> I'm not sure such a file exist on the mac...
Uh, 'OpenAL32.dll'  is just a internal name...

Karl

Re:

Joshua Gargus-2

On Feb 14, 2007, at 4:25 PM, karl wrote:

> It's the MacOSX version pointed to from OpenAL.org.
>
> I noticed in OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice: there is a mention
> of 'OpenAL32.dll'
>
> <apicall: void* 'alcOpenDevice' (byte*) module: 'OpenAL32.dll'>
>
> I'm not sure such a file exist on the mac...

There's some magic there.  Look at senders/implementors of
#privateInstallLibrary:

Josh

> karl

Re:

Karl-19
Howard Stearns wrote:

> Note that the Sailing Demo is present(1) in the Collaborative distro.
> That image has the same projects and code as the SDK beta, but updated
> to include the latest code from the repository at the time the distro
> was made (which is pretty recent).
>
> The VM shouldn't be different, but mistakes have been known to happen...
>
> You can also try evaluating the following in a Workspace(2):
>   OpenAL new makeCurrent isCurrent
> This should answer true.
I get this debug log:

MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>getHandle
15 February 2007 9:33:07 am

VM: unix - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Croquet1.0beta [latest update: #2]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /Users/karl/Desktop/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta
Trusted Dir /Users/karl/Desktop/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/secure
Untrusted Dir /Users/karl/Desktop/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/My Squeak

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
    Receiver: nil
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        aMessage:     getHandle
    Receiver's instance variables:
nil

OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>isCurrent
    Receiver: an OpenALUnix
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        handle:     nil
        nameManager:     an OpenALNameManager

OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>makeCurrent
    Receiver: an OpenALUnix
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        handle:     nil
        nameManager:     an OpenALNameManager

UndefinedObject>>DoIt
    Receiver: nil
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
nil

--- The full stack ---
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>isCurrent
OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>makeCurrent
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:
[] in TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>evaluateSelection {[rcvr class
evaluatorClass new   evaluate: self selectionAsStream   in: ctxt...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>evaluateSelection
TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>printIt
[] in TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>printIt: {[self printIt]}
TextMorphEditor(Controller)>>terminateAndInitializeAround:
TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>printIt:
TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>dispatchOnCharacter:with:
TextMorphEditor>>dispatchOnCharacter:with:
TextMorphEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>readKeyboard
TextMorphEditor>>readKeyboard
[] in TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>keyStroke: {[editor readKeyboard]}
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>handleInteraction:fromEvent:
TextMorphForEditView>>handleInteraction:fromEvent:
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForEditView>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
TextMorphForEditView(Morph)>>handleEvent:
TextMorphForEditView(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: {[ActiveHand := self.
ActiveEvent := anEvent.  result := focusHolder     han...]}
[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring: {[aBlock value]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor: {[:h |  ActiveHand := h.  h
processEvents.  capturingGesture := capturingGest...]}
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}

Karl

Re:

Karl-19
Howard Stearns wrote:

> For non-recent versions of the OpenAL package (e.g., as distributed in
> the original SDK beta), all bets are off.
I read a little on this page and it seems the available MacOSX download
could be to old.
http://developer.apple.com/audio/openal.html
So it seems that I will need MacOSX 10.4 for Croquet to work.

Karl

OpenAL / OpenGL Module

Bert Freudenberg

On Feb 15, 2007, at 4:46 , Joshua Gargus wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2007, at 4:25 PM, karl wrote:
>>
>> It's the MacOSX version pointed to from OpenAL.org.
>>
>> I noticed in OpenALUnix(OpenAL)>>alcOpenDevice: there is a mention
>> of 'OpenAL32.dll'
>>
>> <apicall: void* 'alcOpenDevice' (byte*) module: 'OpenAL32.dll'>
>>
>> I'm not sure such a file exist on the mac...
>
> There's some magic there.  Look at senders/implementors of
> #privateInstallLibrary:

Many many people are confused by this. Could we please replace this
module with something generic? Like ...

        "@OpenAL@ will be replaced by the actual module name dynamically,
see privateInstallLibrary:"
        <cdecl: void* 'alcOpenDevice' (byte*) module: '@OpenAL@'>