[croquet] learning Squeak

Ralph Johnson
People who want to learn Squeak should consider taking a course that I
am teaching this summer.  It is completely on-line.  The course is
much more than just a course on Squeak, since it is design, design
patterns, designing frameworks, etc.  But Smalltalk is the language of
the course, and Squeak is the Smalltalk that we use, so an important
side effect of the course is that students learn Squeak.  The lcourse
doesn't say much about Croquet, but the last half of the course is a
project, and it would be fine to do a project using Croquet.  The
course is called "Object-oriented programming and design".

The on-line courses are at http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/online/
Most of the people who take the courses are in our on-line MS program.
 However, you can sign up to take just a single course without joining
the MS program.

This is a real coruse, with regular assignments and an exam.  I don't
know the price, but the department makes money off of them so it is
not cheap.  However, if you take this course then you will learn
Squeak, and will learn object-oriented design, as well.  The course
will definitely get you ready to develop applications in Croquet.

-Ralph

Re: [croquet] learning Squeak

Andreas.Raab
Wow. That's a great offer. Folks who want to get proficient in Croquet
should definitely consider picking this up. Ralph is one of the best
known Smalltalk teachers and this is your ticket to get a real
understanding of some of the base technology and language. If you have
the time this summer, this is a great way to spend it!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Ralph Johnson wrote:

> People who want to learn Squeak should consider taking a course that I
> am teaching this summer.  It is completely on-line.  The course is
> much more than just a course on Squeak, since it is design, design
> patterns, designing frameworks, etc.  But Smalltalk is the language of
> the course, and Squeak is the Smalltalk that we use, so an important
> side effect of the course is that students learn Squeak.  The lcourse
> doesn't say much about Croquet, but the last half of the course is a
> project, and it would be fine to do a project using Croquet.  The
> course is called "Object-oriented programming and design".
>
> The on-line courses are at http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/online/
> Most of the people who take the courses are in our on-line MS program.
> However, you can sign up to take just a single course without joining
> the MS program.
>
> This is a real coruse, with regular assignments and an exam.  I don't
> know the price, but the department makes money off of them so it is
> not cheap.  However, if you take this course then you will learn
> Squeak, and will learn object-oriented design, as well.  The course
> will definitely get you ready to develop applications in Croquet.
>
> -Ralph

Re: [croquet] learning Squeak

Kyle Hamilton
CS 598RJ...waitasec, I can get graduate-level credit from this?

31665 lecture- discussion   REJ 03:00 PM - 04:45 PM TR room 1302
Siebel Center for Comp Sci Johnson, R
4 hours
Topic: Object-Oriented Programming and Design. Learn object-oriented
design by studying examples from Squeak, many of which have been
polished for 25 years. Learn about design patterns, how to use
frameworks and how to design them, and reflection. Prerequisite:
Graduate standing or Consent of Instructor.

For information, please see
http://online.engr.uiuc.edu/registration.htm -- it states that 4
credit-hours will run $2848 in tuition plus $164 in administrative
fees, for a total of $3012.  In addition, it also states that an
additional 2% "convenience fee" will be added to all credit card
payments.  (This would be, I think, $60.24, for a grand total of
$3072.24.)

Up to 12 credit-hours taken while not admitted in a certificate or
degree program at UIUC can be transferred in, with departmental
approval.  (This, also, from the registration link.)

-Kyle H

-Kyle H

Re: [croquet] learning Squeak

Brad Fuller-3
Sounds like a great program, especially since you can take just one to
three courses w/o being a student.
But, the cost is high for one course.

brad

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: [croquet] learning Squeak

Kathleen Furr
This course is quite pricey. I am new to the Squeak / Croquet application and I
am looking for a way to get started.  Is there a good alternative to this
course?  How did others learn the language and environment?  I have done some
of the Squeak tutorials but it is not coming together for me………does any
one have a suggestion on the best way to get started.  Thanks!

Re: [croquet] learning Squeak

Ric Moore
On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 16:08 -0400, Kathleen Furr wrote:
> This course is quite pricey. I am new to the Squeak / Croquet application and I
> am looking for a way to get started.  Is there a good alternative to this
> course?  How did others learn the language and environment?  I have done some
> of the Squeak tutorials but it is not coming together for me………does any
> one have a suggestion on the best way to get started.  Thanks!

Join the crowd! It IS tough. I guess that since there is so much
available to learn it goes from simple to very hard in one fell swoop!
One good thing has come from my own journey using Croquet is that some
basic flaws to my base Linux OS came to light and that was not easy to
overcome. It took no small measure of persistence to get past the red
screen of death. Croquet takes that persistence and now that it is
running for me, now the road uphill to using it is very daunting. My
suggestion is to take small doses of it at a time and ask a lot of
questions here. It'll be awhile before it is ready for Mom to use. <g>
Ric

Re: [croquet] learning Squeak

Jerome Fuselier
Kathleen Furr a écrit :
> This course is quite pricey. I am new to the Squeak / Croquet application and I
> am looking for a way to get started.  Is there a good alternative to this
> course?  How did others learn the language and environment?  I have done some
> of the Squeak tutorials but it is not coming together for me………does any
> one have a suggestion on the best way to get started.  Thanks!

Hello,
  Personally, I've followed the two tutorials of Digital Media Universe
http://www.dmu.com/crb/ and http://www.dmu.com/crb2/ and the
documentation of the official wiki. They are quite good materials and
with this lectures I believe I have a sufficient undestanding of the
croquet environment. At least enough to have my own entry points to
experiment things by myself.

Jérôme