croquet noob with nvidia problem

phreakys
hello,

i just installed croquet after reading the whole idea of it, and watching some
videos. Really great software!

I got a problem though. I tested the program on my laptop(ATI X700/centrino),
and it worked fine. On my desktop(nvidia gforce 6600) i get an opengl
initialization error. I checked glxgears/glxinfo and hw-acceleration should
work fine.

Is this a known issue? Can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance.

Jeroen

Jeroen

Re: croquet noob with nvidia problem

Hussayn Dabbous-2
phreakys schrieb:

> ps. im on archlinux
>
> 2007/2/2, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> hello,
>>
>> i just installed croquet after reading the whole idea of it, and watching
>> some
>> videos. Really great software!
>>
>> I got a problem though. I tested the program on my laptop(ATI
>> X700/centrino),
>> and it worked fine. On my desktop(nvidia gforce 6600) i get an opengl
>> initialization error. I checked glxgears/glxinfo and hw-acceleration
>> should
>> work fine.

The problem probably is here:
Whenever you upgrade your OS, or install software which updates the
video drivers, part of the openGL installation might get corrupted.
Dont ask me why, what, where. I dont know, but the general advice
seems to be:

Reinstall the original video drivers of your
sound card. reinstal openGL and go ahead...

I had the very same problem with Second Life and with Croquet on Windoiws XP.
Microsoft is known to ignore open GL ;-)

Following the description above helped in my case.

Hussayn

Re: croquet noob with nvidia problem

phreakys
hm,

i tested it on windows xp on the same machine, and it works fine now.
I believe it should be some problem with nvidia drivers for linux. Weird :S

2007/2/2, Hussayn Dabbous < [hidden email]>:
phreakys schrieb:

> ps. im on archlinux
>
> 2007/2/2, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> hello,
>>
>> i just installed croquet after reading the whole idea of it, and watching
>> some
>> videos. Really great software!
>>
>> I got a problem though. I tested the program on my laptop(ATI
>> X700/centrino),
>> and it worked fine. On my desktop(nvidia gforce 6600) i get an opengl
>> initialization error. I checked glxgears/glxinfo and hw-acceleration
>> should
>> work fine.

The problem probably is here:
Whenever you upgrade your OS, or install software which updates the
video drivers, part of the openGL installation might get corrupted.
Dont ask me why, what, where. I dont know, but the general advice
seems to be:

Reinstall the original video drivers of your
sound card. reinstal openGL and go ahead...

I had the very same problem with Second Life and with Croquet on Windoiws XP.
Microsoft is known to ignore open GL ;-)

Following the description above helped in my case.

Hussayn

Re: croquet noob with nvidia problem

KenDickey
On Friday 2007 February 02 12:36 am, Hussayn Dabbous wrote:
> phreakys schrieb:
> > ps. im on archlinux

> >> I got a problem though. I tested the program on my laptop(ATI
> >> X700/centrino),
> >> and it worked fine. On my desktop(nvidia gforce 6600) i get an opengl
> >> initialization error. I checked glxgears/glxinfo and hw-acceleration
> >> should
> >> work fine.
>
> The problem probably is here:
> Whenever you upgrade your OS, or install software which updates the
> video drivers, part of the openGL installation might get corrupted.
> Dont ask me why, what, where. I dont know, but the general advice
> seems to be:
>
> Reinstall the original video drivers of your
> sound card. reinstal openGL and go ahead...
>
> I had the very same problem with Second Life and with Croquet on Windoiws
> XP. Microsoft is known to ignore open GL ;-)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, XP is known to (actively) disable acceleration for Open GL.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: croquet noob with nvidia problem

Ric Moore
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 09:36 +0100, Hussayn Dabbous wrote:

> phreakys schrieb:
> > ps. im on archlinux
> >
> > 2007/2/2, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> hello,
> >>
> >> i just installed croquet after reading the whole idea of it, and watching
> >> some
> >> videos. Really great software!
> >>
> >> I got a problem though. I tested the program on my laptop(ATI
> >> X700/centrino),
> >> and it worked fine. On my desktop(nvidia gforce 6600) i get an opengl
> >> initialization error. I checked glxgears/glxinfo and hw-acceleration
> >> should
> >> work fine.
>
> The problem probably is here:
> Whenever you upgrade your OS, or install software which updates the
> video drivers, part of the openGL installation might get corrupted.
> Dont ask me why, what, where. I dont know, but the general advice
> seems to be:

In Linux you have to upgrade your nVidia module everytime you upgrade
the kernel. I guess that would be the same under Winders?

> Reinstall the original video drivers of your
> sound card. reinstal openGL and go ahead...
>
> I had the very same problem with Second Life and with Croquet on Windoiws XP.
> Microsoft is known to ignore open GL ;-)
>
> Following the description above helped in my case.

It must be one heckuva job to keep the hardware openGL that is built in
the card aligned with the software openGL. When having problems, it's
better to check their site for known problems and workarounds. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

[croquet-dev] Re: croquet noob with nvidia problem

phreakys
no,

I think that new nvidia drivers automagically get compiled into the kernel, whenever the kernel gets updated from the repository.
I checked glxinfo, and direct acceleration is on. Other opengl apps(blender/google earth, etc.) work just fine.

greetz,

jeroen

2007/2/2, Ric Moore <[hidden email]>:
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 09:36 +0100, Hussayn Dabbous wrote:

> phreakys schrieb:
> > ps. im on archlinux
> >
> > 2007/2/2, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> hello,
> >>
> >> i just installed croquet after reading the whole idea of it, and watching
> >> some
> >> videos. Really great software!
> >>
> >> I got a problem though. I tested the program on my laptop(ATI
> >> X700/centrino),
> >> and it worked fine. On my desktop(nvidia gforce 6600) i get an opengl
> >> initialization error. I checked glxgears/glxinfo and hw-acceleration
> >> should
> >> work fine.
>
> The problem probably is here:
> Whenever you upgrade your OS, or install software which updates the
> video drivers, part of the openGL installation might get corrupted.
> Dont ask me why, what, where. I dont know, but the general advice
> seems to be:

In Linux you have to upgrade your nVidia module everytime you upgrade
the kernel. I guess that would be the same under Winders?

> Reinstall the original video drivers of your
> sound card. reinstal openGL and go ahead...
>
> I had the very same problem with Second Life and with Croquet on Windoiws XP.
> Microsoft is known to ignore open GL ;-)
>
> Following the description above helped in my case.

It must be one heckuva job to keep the hardware openGL that is built in
the card aligned with the software openGL. When having problems, it's
better to check their site for known problems and workarounds. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: [croquet-dev] Re: croquet noob with nvidia problem

David P. Reed
I run Fedora Core 6 and the way to get nvidia opengl drivers is to use
the livna repository, and use yum to install the package kmod-nvidia or
kmod-nvidia-96xx (if you have a slightly less new nvidia chip).
Whenever the kernel updates, the kmod-nvidia package that works with
that kernel gets updated.

I beliee the same sort of thing works with other distros.

Alternatively, download the proper linux driver package from
www.nvidia.com, and *whenever your kernel gets updated* you need to boot
into runlevel 3 (text mode) and "sh NVIDIA...sh" as root to update
kernel module.

This is the nvidia drill.   The ATI drill relates to kmod-fglrx and/or
the comparable ATI driver.