[croquet] where did croquet download go?

[croquet] where did croquet download go?

Ralph Johnson
The opencroquet download site says "SDK 1.0 coming soon", but there is
nothing to download.

I told a bunch of grad students last week that they should try out
Croquet, so this is a particular inopportune time to prevent people
from downloading Croquet. Is there somewhere else they can go to get
something they can try?

-Ralph

Re: [croquet] where did croquet download go?

Andy Konstandinidis
I think the latest version you can download right now is Croquet Collaborative 1.0 Beta Version 7 .

Re: [croquet] where did croquet download go?

Howard Stearns
http://www.croquetcollaborative.org/wordpress/?page_id=5

The SDK release is being tested internally, mostly for recent Linux fixes. It is
primarily the SDK Beta plus the latest versions of all the packages.

The distro at the link above contains the same packages, at mostly the same
version. The primary differences are that the Collaborative distro has a one
button launch of the KAT demo, and that it does NOT have the pending Linux fixes.

Note that the Collaborative distro is, of course, NOT the official SDK release.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: where did croquet download go?

Bert Freudenberg
Why can't the Beta SDK link be restored until the real SDK is there?

- Bert -

On Feb 26, 2007, at 23:00 , Howard Stearns wrote:

> http://www.croquetcollaborative.org/wordpress/?page_id=5
>
> The SDK release is being tested internally, mostly for recent Linux
> fixes. It is primarily the SDK Beta plus the latest versions of all
> the packages.
>
> The distro at the link above contains the same packages, at mostly
> the same version. The primary differences are that the
> Collaborative distro has a one button launch of the KAT demo, and
> that it does NOT have the pending Linux fixes.
>
> Note that the Collaborative distro is, of course, NOT the official
> SDK release.
>
> Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> The opencroquet download site says "SDK 1.0 coming soon", but
>> there is
>> nothing to download.
>> I told a bunch of grad students last week that they should try out
>> Croquet, so this is a particular inopportune time to prevent people
>> from downloading Croquet. Is there somewhere else they can go to get
>> something they can try?
>> -Ralph
> voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: [croquet] where did croquet download go?

Ed Boyce
Ralph Johnson wrote:
> The opencroquet download site says "SDK 1.0 coming soon", but there is
> nothing to download.
>
> I told a bunch of grad students last week that they should try out
> Croquet, so this is a particular inopportune time to prevent people
> from downloading Croquet. Is there somewhere else they can go to get
> something they can try?

A link to download the Beta SDK is back on the main page.  And not to
discourage anyone from trying it, but keep in mind that a new release
should be available after very few rotations of the planet from now.

    -- Ed

Ralph Johnson wrote:
> The opencroquet download site says "SDK 1.0 coming soon", but there is
> nothing to download.
>
> I told a bunch of grad students last week that they should try out
> Croquet, so this is a particular inopportune time to prevent people
> from downloading Croquet. Is there somewhere else they can go to get
> something they can try?

A link to download the Beta SDK is back on the main page.  And not to
discourage anyone from trying it, but keep in mind that a new release
should be available after very few rotations of the planet from now.

    -- Ed

> -Ralph

Re: [croquet] where did croquet download go?

Kyle Hamilton
On 2/26/07, Ed Boyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A link to download the Beta SDK is back on the main page.  And not to
> discourage anyone from trying it, but keep in mind that a new release
> should be available after very few rotations of the planet from now.

Honestly, a new release should be available every few rotations of the
planet regardless.  "Release Early, Release Often" -- have the stable
SDK release, then the betas leading up to the next stable release, and
instructions for "staying on the bleeding edge" from the repositories.
 Also, release instructions on "update from one major version of the
SDK to the next".

And integrated instructions on how to export and reimport the classes
that are being worked on.

Then again, it's almost impossible to get all that.  *shrugs* :)

-Kyle H

-Kyle H

Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> On 2/26/07, Ed Boyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A link to download the Beta SDK is back on the main page.  And not to
>> discourage anyone from trying it, but keep in mind that a new release
>> should be available after very few rotations of the planet from now.
>
> Honestly, a new release should be available every few rotations of the
> planet regardless.  "Release Early, Release Often" -- have the stable
> SDK release, then the betas leading up to the next stable release, and
> instructions for "staying on the bleeding edge" from the repositories.
>  Also, release instructions on "update from one major version of the
> SDK to the next".

Kyle,

   It is my understanding that the Croquet development model is moving in
that direction.

   The upcoming release is actually going to be the first non-beta or
"stable" release, suitable for broader use than previous betas.  As
such, please understand the need for the intensive testing that is
occurring this week.  Once this release is out, new development
Bleeding Edge lines will take form, with more community access and
development participation than previously.

   To borrow a phrase from Eric S. Raymond, the Croquet development model
is migrating out of the Cathedral and into the Bazaar.  It's just doing
so in stages -- carefully thought out cautious stages so that the
user-developer communiy doesn't get frustrated with unneccessary
instabilities.  In other words, the folks who have been creating
Croquet since before the turn of he Millennium want this release to be
a stable starting point from which greater community development can
occur with a minimum of mass frastration.  That's why the release
number is going to be  "1.0," with no appended "Beta."

    Please stay tuned and don't be discouraged.  And please also
understand that suggestions about how to open and expand community
devoloper access are being heard and heeded.

       Best Regards,

           Ed Boyce

> And integrated instructions on how to export and reimport the classes
> that are being worked on.
>
> Then again, it's almost impossible to get all that.  *shrugs* :)
>
> -Kyle H

Re: [croquet] where did croquet download go?

Julian Lombardi
Ralph,

The BETA is back up.  Sorry for any inconvenience....

-Julian
On Feb 2
6, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Ralph Johnson wrote:

The opencroquet download site says "SDK 1.0 coming soon", but there is
nothing to download.

I told a bunch of grad students last week that they should try out
Croquet, so this is a particular inopportune time to prevent people
from downloading Croquet. Is there somewhere else they can go to get
something they can try?

-Ralph

Julian Lombardi, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President
Academic Services and Technology Support
Duke University Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 2109
Durham, North Carolina 27701
United States of America

+1.919.323.5016 mobile / primary
+1.919.668.9547 fax
+1.919.668.0341 admin/scheduling

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"  - Alan Kay

Re: [croquet] where did croquet download go?

David Faught
Hi Ralph,

Even though the link for the beta version is back, you would be far
better off getting the Collaborative's version as it has most of the
updates already applied that make up the pending SDK release.  The old
beta version is almost a year behind in updates.

You might consider making it available somewhere locally if that would
work for the group of grad students involved.

Dave