ctrl-J and type in

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Marcel,

    I like the new Ctrl-J.  But there's one feature that was lost.  It used to be that one could type over some string and then hit Ctrl-J to repeat the dir on the next occurrence of the string.  For examplee, consider the following:

[JumpZero] -> [opcode caseOf: {
[CmpRR] -> [branch setOpcode: BrEqRR andOperandsFrom: self.
branch operands at: 3 put: (operands at: 1).
opcode := Label].
}].
[JumpNonZero]-> [opcode caseOf: {
[CmpRR] -> [branch setOpcode: BrNeRR andOperandsFrom: self.
branch operands at: 3 put: (operands at: 1).
opcode := Label].
}].
[JumpLongZero]-> [opcode caseOf: {
[CmpRR] -> [branch setOpcode: BrNeRR andOperandsFrom: self.
"skip the following long branch"
branch operands at: 3 put: self jumpLongByteSize.
opcode := JumpLong].
}].
[JumpLongNonZero]-> [opcode caseOf: {
[CmpRR] -> [branch setOpcode: BrEqRR andOperandsFrom: self.
"skip the following long branch"
branch operands at: 3 put: self jumpLongByteSize.
opcode := JumpLong].
opcode := Label].
}].

where it turns out branch operands at: 3 should read branch operands at: 2.  So it used to be that one could select the first "at: 3", type "at: 2", and then hit Ctrl-J to edit the next, Ctrl-J to edit the one after that and so on.

I think it's just making sure that the selection that is replaced by Ctrl-J becomes the new search string for copy/replace.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: ctrl-J and type in

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot,

this feature still works. However, separators create new commands right now. I think I will revert that again to only let selection changes end a command.

Best,
Marcel

Re: ctrl-J and type in

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot,

we wil fix that. In the meantime, you can select a piece of text, invoke the context menu (yellow button resp. right click), select "Find and replace..." and trigger the first replacement. Then, you can use CTRL+J or CTRL+SHIFT+J to continue.

Best,
Marcel

Re: ctrl-J and type in

Masato Sumi
Hi Marcel.

By the way,
when I type (to insert, but not to replace) some string and then alt/cmd + j,
old Squeak can select the next occurrence of the string that I previously typed.
(Needless to say, the inserted string is deleted automatically.)
I like and always use this function to find some string very quickly.
Does the new alt/cmd + j still have this feature?

sumim

> Hi Eliot,
>
> this feature still works. However, separators create new commands right now.
> I think I will revert that again to only let selection changes end a
> command.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: ctrl-J and type in

marcel.taeumel
Hi Sumim,

just use CMD+G to "find again". Works with any selection. Works after something was replaced. Finds the string that was replaced.

CMD+G is find-again.
CMD+J is find/replace-again.

To find the next occurrence of the last replacement, you have to select that replacement first.

I think that the feature you described was rather accidential... :)

Does this help?

Best,
Marcel