debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Howard Stearns
I think Josh is asking what error is actually being reported by DirectShow. It
looks like DShowVideoController>>reportError: is an error-reporting function
that gets an error code by sending self decoderGetLastError. Then it tries to
get the label for that code out of a Dictionary (what some languages call a hash
table) named ErrorCodes.

When it reported the error, what did it say in the title of the debugger? From
the code is looks like it should have said: "DirectShow: " followed by the
description that the error code maps to.

By the way: Whenever you get an error, a reasonable compromise summary is saved
to SqueakDebug.log in your Croquet directory. It has more details about the
frames on top (closest to the error), and less detail further down. It's a
convenient thing for attaching to a bug report or a message on the croquet-dev
or squeak-dev lists.

Also by the way: You can get more information out of the debugger itself. If
click on the reportError: frame, you should see local variables listed below, in
this case including 'error'. You can also highlight code and 'print-it', or even
type in new code and 'print-it'.

haggai Goldfarb wrote:

> Hey Josh,
>
> no problem.
>
> reportError
>
>     | error |
>     error := self decoderGetLastError.
>
>     self error: 'DirectShow: ', (ErrorCodes at: error ifAbsent:
> ['Unknown']).

> Haggai Goldfarb
> LiquidBits
> office: 617.945.5050
> cell: 818.648.5158
> [hidden email]

Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

haggai Goldfarb
Thats really good to know! (its time for me to start doing my own debugging...)    In this case the title window shows: "Error: DirectShow: True".   I don't see any error code numbers.  the debug file is interesting (I'm attaching here. in the future, I'll send to the croquet-dev)

Josh, is this helpful?

Haggai Goldfarb
LiquidBits
office: 617.945.5050
cell: 818.648.5158
[hidden email]

haggai Goldfarb wrote:

> Hey Josh,
>
> no problem.
>
> reportError
>
>     | error |
>     error := self decoderGetLastError.
>
>     self error: 'DirectShow: ', (ErrorCodes at: error ifAbsent:
> ['Unknown']).

> Haggai Goldfarb
> LiquidBits
> office: 617.945.5050
> cell: 818.648.5158
> [hidden email]

=?utf-8?q?SqueakDebug.log?= (5K) Download Attachment

Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Joshua Gargus-2

On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:50 PM, haggai Goldfarb wrote:

> Thats really good to know! (its time for me to start doing my own
> debugging...)    In this case the title window shows: "Error:
> DirectShow: True".   I don't see any error code numbers.  the debug
> file is interesting (I'm attaching here. in the future, I'll send
> to the croquet-dev)
>
> Josh, is this helpful?

Sort of.   It looks to me like a debugger window has already opened,
you're trying to evaluate an expression within the debugger window.
Is this correct?  What did the SqueakDebug.log look like immediately
after the original error?

Josh

Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Howard Stearns
The log looks garbled to me. (I'm not an expert.) It's as if you got an error
WHILE you were in the debugger. Like maybe I said too much in saying that you
could evaluate stuff from within the debugger, and you did so and produced
another error, which gave from that point new SqueakDebug.log which you attached?

Or am I just making things worse...?

But if I am right, then you should try to get a clean error. Restart Squeak,
reproduce the original error, copy the SqueakDebug.log file, and then do your
exploration. If you send in a report, send in that clean copied one.

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

haggai Goldfarb
hmm you are probably right - I must have hit something in the debugger window. I will try to re-produce ...

Haggai Goldfarb
LiquidBits
office: 617.945.5050
cell: 818.648.5158
[hidden email]

voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

haggai Goldfarb
Josh,  Howard

Attached is the new clean log file. (although I'm not sure if thats considered clean..)

haggai

Haggai Goldfarb
LiquidBits
office: 617.945.5050
cell: 818.648.5158
[hidden email]

=?utf-8?q?SqueakDebug.log?= (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

haggai
Josh, Howard

Looking some more at the DShowVideoController and DShowVideoDecoderPlugin, I
noticed that primDecoderRun executes a call to a c-function:

ret := self cCode: 'DecoderRun()'.

Is it possible that this c-function only exists in the wisconsin library?

Did I get this right?

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Joshua Gargus-2
I *believe* that Howard convinced the Committee to include the binary
DShowVideoDecoderPlugin DLL.  Right, Howard?

Josh

On Feb 22, 2007, at 1:53 PM, haggai wrote:

> Josh, Howard
>
> Looking some more at the DShowVideoController and
> DShowVideoDecoderPlugin, I
> noticed that primDecoderRun executes a call to a c-function:
>
> ret := self cCode: 'DecoderRun()'.
>
> Is it possible that this c-function only exists in the wisconsin
> library?
>
> Did I get this right?

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Andreas.Raab
Yes. But we're still waiting for the source of the Mac frame grabber to
be released.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Joshua Gargus wrote:

> I *believe* that Howard convinced the Committee to include the binary
> DShowVideoDecoderPlugin DLL.  Right, Howard?
>
> Josh
>
> On Feb 22, 2007, at 1:53 PM, haggai wrote:
>
>> Josh, Howard
>>
>> Looking some more at the DShowVideoController and
>> DShowVideoDecoderPlugin, I
>> noticed that primDecoderRun executes a call to a c-function:
>>
>> ret := self cCode: 'DecoderRun()'.
>>
>> Is it possible that this c-function only exists in the wisconsin library?
>>
>> Did I get this right?

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Howard Stearns
Haggai is using the Collaborative distro, which includes both mac and pc video
plugins. (The new SDK distro isn't out yet...)

jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

haggai
I'm still puzzled.  Does that means that DShowVideoDecoderPlugin DLL includes
the c-function decoderRun()?  I suspect that the source code is not available.
What do you guys suggest?

I was also trying "example1" of DShowVideoController.  I would get a black
screen which disappear after about 1 second with no error thrown.

Another thing I tried was the sqWebCam of Wiebe Baron at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1853. It states that it supports Logitech's
QuickCam Pro which is the model I'm using. It was giving errors from the getco
during filein. Anyone succeded in using it?

Thanks for looking into it.

haggai wrote:
> I'm still puzzled.  Does that means that DShowVideoDecoderPlugin DLL includes
> the c-function decoderRun()?  I suspect that the source code is not available.
> What do you guys suggest?

The source code for it is actually available at

http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/DShowVideo/index.html

I have been asking Yoshiki to round this up a little for inclusion in
the standard source tree.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: debugging, as applied to Web-cam video on PC

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Andreas,

> I have been asking Yoshiki to round this up a little for inclusion in
> the standard source tree.

  Sorry for being lazy.  I now actually have a handy Visual Studio C
dev environment so I can't really test it if it compiles.  I did ask
Ian about putting the Windows-only binary into the main repository,
and naturally, he said "I won't do it."  For the binary part, I think
it would be easier if you check it in.  I'll edit the source files and
put boilerplate and make an archive.

-- Yoshiki