classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

development release

Alexandre Bergel-5
Hi!

Is it mandatory to have a #development symbolic ? Why when I turned the last version, which is set as #development, as #release, I get an error "Version #development is EXPLICILY not defined in ..."

How can I have only a stable version?

I think it makes

Cheers,
Alexandre
--
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: development release

Dale Henrichs
Alexandre,

Mandatory only for the particular variant of the command that you are running. Which toolbox command did you run?

The toolbox was mainly written to support/enforce the development cycle I documented in the blog post...basically it is 'illegal' to change a version that has been blessed as #release (or more correctly not blessed as development) so for certain methods I throw an error ...

In the end this is a tools/process issue, but I think that it is probably important for the tools to disallow modifications of a version that has been released. With that said there needs to be a back door to allow for undoing errors...

I'm actually writing another (longer) post that relates to this sort of ...

Dale

On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is it mandatory to have a #development symbolic ? Why when I turned the last version, which is set as #development, as #release, I get an error "Version #development is EXPLICILY not defined in ..."
>
> How can I have only a stable version?
>
> I think it makes
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
> --
> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Alexandre Bergel-5
> Mandatory only for the particular variant of the command that you are running. Which toolbox command did you run?

I simply use
        MetacelloToolBox
                releaseVersion: self versionNumber
                for: self configurationBasename.

> The toolbox was mainly written to support/enforce the development cycle I documented in the blog post...basically it is 'illegal' to change a version that has been blessed as #release (or more correctly not blessed as development) so for certain methods I throw an error ...
>
> In the end this is a tools/process issue, but I think that it is probably important for the tools to disallow modifications of a version that has been released. With that said there needs to be a back door to allow for undoing errors...

I agree with you. A stable and release version should not be touched. But consider this:
  - 1.34 is marked as #stable
  - 1.39 is marked as #development

Now, if I am happy with 1.39, I would like to turn it into #stable. If I do so with releaseVersion:for:, then Metacello complains because there is no #development.
So, how should I do?

Alexandre

>
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is it mandatory to have a #development symbolic ? Why when I turned the last version, which is set as #development, as #release, I get an error "Version #development is EXPLICILY not defined in ..."
>>
>> How can I have only a stable version?
>>
>> I think it makes
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs

On Feb 24, 2011, at 10:44 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Mandatory only for the particular variant of the command that you are running. Which toolbox command did you run?
>
> I simply use
> MetacelloToolBox
> releaseVersion: self versionNumber
> for: self configurationBasename.

Okay, part of the process of releasing a version is changing the version spec which is disallowed ... presumably a resumable error thrown here would make it possible for a tool to proceed with the operation...

>
>
>> The toolbox was mainly written to support/enforce the development cycle I documented in the blog post...basically it is 'illegal' to change a version that has been blessed as #release (or more correctly not blessed as development) so for certain methods I throw an error ...
>>
>> In the end this is a tools/process issue, but I think that it is probably important for the tools to disallow modifications of a version that has been released. With that said there needs to be a back door to allow for undoing errors...
>
> I agree with you. A stable and release version should not be touched. But consider this:
>  - 1.34 is marked as #stable
>  - 1.39 is marked as #development
>
> Now, if I am happy with 1.39, I would like to turn it into #stable. If I do so with releaseVersion:for:, then Metacello complains because there is no #development.
> So, how should I do?

I don't have a top-level toolbox method for this, but it would be a baed on a modification of #releaseVersion:for:blessingAttribute: platformAttribute: . Something like this should do the trick:

stableVersion: stableVersionString for: configurationBasename platformAttribute: platformAttribute

(MetacelloToolBox configurationNamed: configurationBasename)
                symbolicVersionMethod: #stable;
                addSymbolicSection: platformAttribute version: stableVersionString;
                commitMethod.

I'll add this to the toolbox and you can add it to the MetacelloBrowserToolBox...

Dale
Reply | Threaded
|

Alexandre Bergel-5
>> I simply use
>> MetacelloToolBox
>> releaseVersion: self versionNumber
>> for: self configurationBasename.
>
> Okay, part of the process of releasing a version is changing the version spec which is disallowed ... presumably a resumable error thrown here would make it possible for a tool to proceed with the operation...

Ok. Can you take care of this?

> I don't have a top-level toolbox method for this, but it would be a baed on a modification of #releaseVersion:for:blessingAttribute: platformAttribute: . Something like this should do the trick:
>
>  stableVersion: stableVersionString for: configurationBasename platformAttribute: platformAttribute
>
> (MetacelloToolBox configurationNamed: configurationBasename)
> symbolicVersionMethod: #stable;
> addSymbolicSection: platformAttribute version: stableVersionString;
> commitMethod.
>
> I'll add this to the toolbox and you can add it to the MetacelloBrowserToolBox...

Yes :-)

These two issues are the remaining one from releasing 1.41 I think.

Alexandre
--