discover magazine article...

Erik Anderson-9
This is probably badly off-topic (and I apologize for those that may have heard this from lists that I am not subscribed to), but I ran into an interesting article in this month's Discover magazine on "Scratch" which looks very suspiciously like the SmallTalk interface I run into sometimes when exploring Morphic...

Re: discover magazine article...

Bert Freudenberg

On Jul 2, 2007, at 23:47 , Erik Anderson wrote:

> This is probably badly off-topic (and I apologize for those that
> may have heard this from lists that I am not subscribed to), but I
> ran into an interesting article in this month's Discover magazine
> on "Scratch" which looks very suspiciously like the SmallTalk
> interface I run into sometimes when exploring Morphic...

If you mean this

        http://scratch.mit.edu/

then it is indeed written in Squeak and Morphic.

- Bert -

Re: discover magazine article...

Erik Anderson-9
So, next question I guess.  Is this stuff (smalltalk/croquet/squeak/etc) just entering the mainstream media, or did I just not notice it before?  The article doesn't mention any of these recognizable keywords, I just recognized the UI interface.  And yes they do mention MIT Media Labs.

One thing I had real fun following for a while was the news ticker on the SecondLife front page showing articles about people discovering the system.  Of course it's not so new anymore and so not as interesting...

On 7/2/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 2, 2007, at 23:47 , Erik Anderson wrote:

> This is probably badly off-topic (and I apologize for those that
> may have heard this from lists that I am not subscribed to), but I
> ran into an interesting article in this month's Discover magazine
> on "Scratch" which looks very suspiciously like the SmallTalk
> interface I run into sometimes when exploring Morphic...

If you mean this

        http://scratch.mit.edu/

then it is indeed written in Squeak and Morphic.

- Bert -

Re: discover magazine article...

Bert Freudenberg
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Scratch is simply very well
designed in itself, the fact it's written in Squeak is secondary to
the public (though of course not to the developers). MIT is doing a
decent marketing job so it pops up here and there.

- Bert -