double messages

Brad Fuller
I've been receiving double posts. Is it my service/mail_app or the
squeak-dev mailing list? Anyone else getting 2 posts of the same msg?
It's not all msgs, just some. For instance, I rcv'd two of Daniel's
latest msg ("Callbacks from C into Squeak") and Hilaire's ("strange
behavior in the layout with WrapDirection attribute"), but Jerome's
("Start with a short user story.") was one.

thanks,

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/

RE: double messages

James Foster-3
Yes, I've been getting some double messages as well.

Re: double messages

karl-8
Brad Fuller wrote:
> I've been receiving double posts. Is it my service/mail_app or the
> squeak-dev mailing list? Anyone else getting 2 posts of the same msg?
> It's not all msgs, just some. For instance, I rcv'd two of Daniel's
> latest msg ("Callbacks from C into Squeak") and Hilaire's ("strange
> behavior in the layout with WrapDirection attribute"), but Jerome's
> ("Start with a short user story.") was one.
>
> thanks,

I'm getting double messages, and not only from the Squeak lists.
Together with the deluge of spam recently, email seems to be under siege.
Karl

Re: double messages

Brad Fuller
Brad Fuller wrote:
> I've been receiving double posts. Is it my service/mail_app or the
> squeak-dev mailing list? Anyone else getting 2 posts of the same msg?
> It's not all msgs, just some. For instance, I rcv'd two of Daniel's
> latest msg ("Callbacks from C into Squeak") and Hilaire's ("strange
> behavior in the layout with WrapDirection attribute"), but Jerome's
> ("Start with a short user story.") was one.

Shesss... I've received this message 4 times!

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/

Re: double messages

Ken Causey-3
Anyone who would like me to look into this should send me the
message-IDs of the messages and group them together by identical
messages.  If the message-IDs are exactly the same look through the
Recieved headers and see if they are also identical.  Feel free to send
me complete copies of headers if you like.

Ken

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 11:05 -0800, James Foster wrote:
> Here is the latest example:
>
> Header for message #1:

<snip>

> Header for message #2:

<snip>

Thanks.

If memory serves this has shown up before.

It appears that your mail server is reporting an error on the first
attempt but delivering the message to you anyway.  The list server sees
the error and correctly assumes delivery failed.  So it waits a while
and attempts again.  On the later attempt your server reports success
and so it quits.

As I said this is not the first time this has appeared.  This is
probably some sort of antispam thing but does not work correctly.

However let me say that yours is the first example I have seen and so
further examples anyone cares to send may shed further light on the
issue.

James appears to be using securehostedemail.com which appears to be a
Tucows service.  Are the rest of you seeing this behavior also by chance
Tucows customers?

Ken